Two of the abducted students of Bethel Baptist Secondary school in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State have been rescued by police operatives.
They were rescued on Wednesday evening by police operatives in Rijanna area along the Kaduna-Abuja highway.
When contacted, the spokesman of the Kaduna state police command, Mohammed Jalige, told Channels Television that the two abducted students were have been taken to a police medical facility where they are currently undergoing medical examination.
121 students of Bethel Baptist secondary school in Chikun local government area of Kaduna state were abducted from their hotels by bandits on July 8.
Last week, the police rescued one of the students inside a forest, while two were rescued today, thereby bringing the number of those rescued to three.
Meanwhile, the bandits are demanding the sum of N60m as a ransom for the release of the kidnapped students.
Upon their arrival, the marauders started shooting sporadically, breaking fences and windows in a bid to gain access into the houses of the residents they kidnapped.
This attack is coming barely three days after over 121 students of Bethel Baptist School also in the Chikun local government area were abducted by bandits.
Although police authorities are yet to confirm the latest incident, the immediate past Chairman of the Chikun local government area, Samaila Leeman, told our correspondent, that a total of 14 members of the community were abducted by the kidnappers and taken away to an unknown destination.
He said the bandits upon arriving in the community, started shooting to scare the residents before they later moved to some houses and kidnapped certain persons.
The Inspector-General of Police, Alkali Baba, was also on the ground to assess the situation in Kaduna State.
He also paid a courtesy visit to the state governor, Nasir El-Rufai in the company of top police officers in the state.
Briefing reporters, the police boss said he was on a familiarization visit to the State Police Command, expressed optimism that the security challenges would be solved very soon.
“I’m on a courtesy call on the Governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai while on a familiarization call to the Command. The visit is to discuss issues relating to security and how we will go about it to make life easier for the law-abiding citizens of this state,” he said.
While noting that lack of manpower is a challenge, the IGP said efforts were being made to overcome the issue.
See photos below from the scene of the attack below:
Seven people have been killed by bandits during an attack in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
The attack, according to the residents, happened at the Katarma general area of Chikun local government near a location called Gbaja.
The residents also disclosed that the four people sustained injuries of various degrees.
In a similar development, the bandits attacked Unguwar Tagwaye Doka in Kuriga Ward, also of Chikun local government where they kidnapped three people.
Confirming the incident in a statement, the Kaduna State Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, said security agencies are conducting investigations at the affected locations.
The commissioner explained that the state government awaits official reports and other details on the incidents.
Kaduna has been experiencing a series of security challenges recently.
Just two days ago, four people were killed in another reprisal attack in Zango Kataf Local Government Area of the north-western state.
This is coming barely 24 hours after seven people were murdered in what security agencies describe as reprisal killing in Kauru and Lere Local Government Areas of the state.
Aruwan, who confirmed the unfortunate incident to Channels Television on December 20, said military and police authorities disclosed that the four persons were murdered.
Troops under the auspices of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH) had reported on Thursday and Saturday the killing of seven persons at Gora Gan in Zangon Kataf local government and the counter-killing of seven herders at Ungwan Idi and Kasheku of Kauru local government.
In the meantime, troops of Operation Safe Haven and Special Forces are still carrying out operations in Kauru and Zangon Kataf local government areas.
The death toll from Saturday’s gas plant explosion in Sabon Tasha area of Chikun local government area of Kaduna state has risen to six.
The state deputy governor, Hadiza Balarabe confirmed this when she visited the scene of the incident on Sunday.
The deputy governor, who was accompanied by some top government officials, also visited some of the injured victims at the hospital as well as the deceased families, where she sympathized with them over the unfortunate incident.
Following the nationwide strike by oil workers on Monday, long fuel queues has surfaced at petrol stations in Kaduna, as motorists besieged filing stations that sold the product on the first day of the strike.
The development has slowed down commercial activities in the state capital, Chikun, Igabi, Kuaru, Jemaa and Zaria Local Government Areas, as many commuters were stranded for hours at various bus stops waiting for commercial buses that were seemingly unavailable.
Our correspondent, who visited some filling stations, reports that some motorists found it difficult to obtain the product, while many spent over four hours at petrol stations without getting the product.
The development has also affected public servants who were taken unawares by the strike as only those that had enough fuel in their vehicles and the few who were lucky to transport themselves to work were seen in their offices on Monday.
Already, black marketers have cashed in on the development to rip motorists as many of them surfaced on major roads in the city selling the product in jerry cans of various shapes and sizes.
Residents of Sabon Tasha, Barnawa and Kakuri areas in Kaduna metropolis have called on the State Environmental Protection Agency (KEPA) and Ministry of Environment to intensify efforts in evacuating refuse and other waste materials that are currently scattered all over the area and capable of creating health problems for them.
The residents, who complained that authorities concerned have not lived up to their responsibilities of keeping the environment clean, feared that if urgent steps are not taken to evacuate the heaps of refuse around people’s homes, there could be an outbreak of cholera, malaria and other airborne diseases in the affected areas.
While the residents blame government for ineffective waste management system, the authorities accused the residents of being responsible for the problem due to their indiscriminate disposal of refuse and other waste materials.
A visit of our correspondents to Narayi, Sabon Tasha, Kakuri, Barnawa and Rigasa all located within the metropolis leaves much to be desired, as there was no presence of waste collectors in these areas.
Therefore, refuse and other waste products continue to litter the streets on daily basis, which residents say is creating a germ-infested environment for them.
Although the State Government says it spends over N130 million monthly on environmental sanitation, the impact is not felt in the communities around the state capital.
The State Commissioner for Environment, Kasimu Abubakar, told Channels Television that government was not aware of the plight of these residents.
He said that his ministry had mapped out over 111 designated dump sites for refuse disposal.
He also blamed the residents for the indiscriminate dumping of refuse and advised residents to follow the standard procedures recommended by government in order not to contact air or water borne diseases.
Kaduna is the third largest state in Nigeria with a population of over 7 million people. Out of this number, majority of the populace reside within the city centre comprising of four Local Government Areas, namely Kaduna North, Kaduna South, Chikun and Igabi local councils.
With increase of satellite towns and influx of people into the state on daily basis, one major problem confronting the metropolis is the issue of poor waste management.
Environmental experts have overtime posited that disposal of waste in unsanitary or unhygienic conditions can lead to huge health and environmental problems.