Nigeria’s Vice President, Namadi Sambo, has presented copies of the handover notes to the transition committee of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
The Presentation of the documents to the committee led by Ahmed Joda held at the Presidential Villa on Monday, four days to the handover ceremony.
Presenting the documents, Mr Sambo said that members of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) would be available to provide clarification on any query arising from the report.
Mr Sambo added that the report comprises activities of the Federal Government between 2011 and 2015 and that the Permanent Secretaries of each ministry had signed each page of the report to authenticate it.
He also hoped that it would guide the incoming administration towards the achievement of positive objectives, development and progress of Nigeria.
Sambo thanked the members of the two transition committees for their support and contributions.
In his remarks, Mr Joda described the handover notes as ‘comprehensive’, saying his committee would examine the report before final submission to the incoming Buhari’s administration.
He said it was the duty of his committee to ensure continuity in government, for the general progress of the nation.
On Sunday, the spokesman for the APC, Lai Mohammed, had raised concerns that the incoming administration had not received any document from the outgoing government. He was worried that the time for the incoming government to study the document before the handover of May 29 was short.
Despite the directive by the Nigeria Premier League on the tussle over the ownership of Afcon 2013 superstar midfielder, Sunday Mba, Nigeria’s football regulatory body, the Nigeria Football Federation, has ordered that a committee be set up to liaise with the Interim Management Committee of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) on the ownership tussle.
This comes as another club has joined Warri Wolves and Enugu Rangers in laying claims to Sunday Mba. According to AllAfrica.com, Dolphins FC of Port Harcourt have claimed that Sunday Mba is their player.
The Nigeria Premier League (NPL) had ordered that the Super Eagles duo of Sunday Mba and goalkeeper Chigozie Agbim belong to Warri Wolves and the football body wrote a letter to that effect, which was signed by the Executive Secretary of the NPL, Tunji Babalola, and circulated to media houses by the management of Warri Wolves, where it was stated clearly that the players belong to Wolves and not Rangers.
Now, Dolphin FC claim they loaned the player to Warri Wolves while Enugu Rangers management are also insisting that Dolphins improperly loaned Mba to Warri Wolves.
Babalola, on behalf of the NPL in a letter dated February 13, 2013, addressed to Warri Wolves and copied to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) General Secretary and Rangers International FC, it said: “We are in receipt of your correspondence on the above subject. From our records, it is established that Chigozie Agbim and Sunday Mba are bonafide players of Warri Wolves FC.
“Consequently, the ownership of the players is not subject to controversy and any club that requires their services should contact the management of Warri Wolves for negotiation,” the letter stated.
But explaining his own side of the story, Mba claimed that he had been contracted to Enugu Rangers by Warri Wolves, a statement the management of Warri Wolves frowned at.
The Federal Government has constituted a 15-man reconciliation and investigation committee to investigate the recent communal clash in Gwako village in the Federal Capital Territory, which left two people dead.
Speaking at an emergency meeting of the villagers and traditional chiefs, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory; Senator Bala Mohammed gave the committee one week to submit its findings and vowed that all those involved in the violent clash would be made to face the full wrath of the law.
Following threats of reprisal attacks by the Fulani people, the minister directed the FCT commissioner of police, Mr Adenrele Shinaba to heighten security around the vicinity to ensure safety of lives.
A makeshift refugee camp has been put in place to house hundreds of these displaced Fulani people that was attacked by Gwari people in Gwagwalada area council of the FCT.
This bloody clash between the Fulani and the Gwari people over cattle grazing is the first of its kind in ten years of their co-existence behind the university of Abuja grounds.
According to the FCT Minister, Senator Bala Mohammed, the violence which has drawn huge attention will not be taken lightly, as a 15-man committee has been constituted to start investigation and the minister vowed to fish out the perpetrators of the dastardly act.
At the refugee camp, many of the Fulanis who challenged the government to live up to its promise were also quick to appeal for calm.
Narrating the incidence in their local language, they ask for increased security and relief materials.
However representative of the Gwari people, Alkali Ibrahim said the Federal Government’s investigation is apt but rumours of reprisal attacks by the Fulanis cannot be ignored.
In a bid to ensure that the 2012 budget is fully implemented, the House of Representatives on Tuesday mandated a joint committee of the house to study the implementation so far and recommend ways to ensure its full implementations. The report, according to the lawmakers, is aimed at ensuring the full implementation of the budget.
The committee is expected to submit the report to the House within one week.
The resolution is sequel to a motion moved by Abdulrahman Terab (ANPP-Borno) which was unanimously adopted.
Leading the debate, Mr Terab noted that annual budgets were meant to provide for the planning and equitable allocation of resources for purposes of development.
He said that the national budget, if well formulated and effectively implemented, would lead to the achievement of development objectives of the country.
The lawmaker disclosed that Nigeria had infrastructural deficit of over N4 trillion and a very high unemployment rate of over 70 per cent. He said that the revenue receipts so far for 2012 was higher than what was projected for in the 2012 fiscal regime.
Mr Terab also described the fourth quarter capital releases to Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) in December as inadequate. He claimed that only about 30 per cent of money appropriated was actually remitted to the MDAs.
He said that money saved from recoveries, non-oil, unspent revenues and fake subsidy claims were not captured in the 2013 budget estimates.
“If this House does not come to the rescue of the 2012 budget, the dream of Nigeria becoming one of the 20 great economies by the year 2020 can no longer be achievable,” he said.
The Chairman of the House of Representatives’ committee on finance, Abdulmumin Jibrin (PDP-Kano) said that out of the 60 revenue generating agencies of government, only one remitted up to 50 percent to the Federation Account.
He called on relevant committees of the House to investigate the role of the Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP) in the area of budgeting. He told the House that 15 agencies were absent from the meeting with the committee.
The chairman, committee on Appropriation, John Enoh (PDP-Cross River), urged the House to ensure a conclusive implementation of the 2012 budget. Mr Enoh noted that unless the House was careful, the budget would witness more abandoned projects than the previous years.
“Given the problem that characterised the 2012 budget, we need to examine the 2013 budget,” he said.
President Goodluck Jonathan has set up a committee to look at the options for a review of the judgement that ceded the Bakassi peninsular to the Cameroons and how to take care of the people there.
The President’s decision which is coming a few days to the expiration of the appeal period on the case is following a long drawn-out meeting the president held with the leadership of the National Assembly over the matter in the presidential villa.
The meeting which lasted for about three and half hours had in attendance the Vice President Namadi Sambo, the Senate President David Mark, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, and other key principal officers of the National Assembly, the Attorney General of the Federation, the governors of Cross River and Akwa Ibom, Secretary to the Government of the Federation as well as some select groups from Bakassi.
Prince Bola Ajibola who was also in attendance spoke to Channels Television after the meeting said by virtue of convening meeting, the Federal Government has shown a candid concern for its people in Bakassi and that according to him, it is the most important thing for now.
He commended the move to follow the rule of law, dialogue and diplomacy in ensuring that the people are not wrongly dealt with.
He expressed optimism that the committee set up will handle it in a record time.
Liyel Imoke the Cross River state governor said that the president has shown great leadership quality by convening the meeting and standing firm on some of the decisions taken.
On his part, the Senate President; David Mark said that the Executive and the law makers are on the same frequency on the Bakassi issue and will work in the same direction to achieve results.
The Nigeria Police Force needs to be remodelled, to be able to perform to expectation.
This was the suggestion of Mr. Innocent Chukwuma, a Nigerian criminologist, who was a guest on our breakfast programme Sunrise Daily.
According to him, there are several agencies in the country that have duplicated functions of the police force and “these agencies tend to perform better than the police itself because they are better catered for”, hence the urgent need to remodel the nation’s security outfit.
He called for the setting up of a committee to address this anomalies and the criminologist also threw his weight being the creation of state police.
Sprint star Oscar Pistorious’s claim about the length of his rivals’ artificial running blades has been thrown out by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) saying there is no substance to the allegations.
The media and communications director for the IPC; Craig Spence said at a news conference in London on Wednesday that there is no evidence that any athlete competed on different size running blades, unless South Africa can come up with some evidence that proves otherwise, but aside that the IPC won’t continue investigation.
It was reported that South Africa had made a formal complaint raising Pistorius’s claims he was at a disadvantage in the T44 200m final because other runners were a lot taller and he could not compete with their stride length.
Pistorius’s defeat to Brazil’s Alan Oliveira was his first defeat in a 200m in nine years and means he will now not retain the three sprint titles he won in Beijing.
The 25-year-old – the most high-profile athlete at the Games after he became the first double-amputee to compete at the Olympics last month – said he had raised the issue with the IPC but it had fallen “on deaf ears”.
He later apologised for the timing of the comments but not the substance.
Spence said they had spoken to national team coaches and found no evidence to back up the claims.
Swapping blades mid-competition is currently against the rules.
Spence said Games organisers contacted all national Paralympic committees in April this year and asked them to highlight any concerns about the rules but no issues were raised by South Africa.
The IPC has said all athletes’ prostheses, which have to be in proportion to the length of their body, were measured on Sunday and no infringements were found.
The Special Adviser to the Minister of Aviation, Oche Elias on Tuesday said that the road show planned by the Ministry of Aviation is not a jamboree but a means to attract more investors to the sector.
Mr Elias, who was speaking as a guest on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, said the delegates to be on the road show will visit three countries within seven days and meet with 16 prospective investors.
In the video below, the aide to the aviation Minister speaks on the purpose of the planned trip and the current situation of the road show.