NEMA Receives 173 Nigerian Returnees From Libya

A total number of 173 stranded Nigerians on Tuesday morning returned from Libya and they were received by the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA).

The returnees who arrived in the country on two different flights were received by the NEMA coordinator, Lagos territorial office, Alhaji Idris Abubakar Muhammed at the cargo wing of the Murtala Muhammed International airport, Ikeja.

Profiling of the returnees indicated that they were 106 adult males, 52 adult females, four female children, two male children, four female infants, and five male infants.

Twenty-one of the returnees had medical issues.

One of the returnees, Miss Aishat Areni narrated how she was lured by a trafficker with a promise of travelling to New York City, USA to practice catering.

Contrary to the promise, Areni said on arrival in Libya, she was forced into domestic labour and prostitution.

The returnee advised those planning to travel to Libya that it’s a dangerous country, where kidnapping, murder, robbery and bombings are rife.

Residents Flee As Bandits Sack Niger Village

 

The Niger state Emergency Management Agency says Armed bandits numbering about two hundred have overrun Kokoki village in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State, sacking the people from their homes.

The Director General of the Agency, Mr Ahmed Inga told Channels Television in a telephone conversation that he received a report from the area that the gunmen invaded the community in broad daylight on Monday, shooting sporadically into the air.

He says they also subjected the people to torturing, beating some of them to the point that they became unconscious.

READ ALSO: Many Terrorists Reportedly Killed As Troops Rid Borno Village Of Insurgents

The NSEMA boss says the bandits are ransacking each house in the village, dispossessing the people of their belongings including food, clothing materials, cellphones, while also rustling their cattle.

Mr Inga who says no casualty has been reported yet, however discloses that the villagers numbering over three hundred have fled their homes through the forest and crossing rivers.

Most of the victims are said to be women and children.

According to Mr Inga, some of them are currently taking shelter in a School at Kagara in Rafi local government area of the state.

As at the time of filing this report, the bandits are said to still be in the village, ransacking houses for food stuff and other valuables.

Nine Dead In Jos Building Collapse, Rescue Operations Ongoing

Nine persons have been confirmed dead while two others have been rescued after a building collapsed in Jos, Plateau State.

The three-storey building collapsed on Butcher Street, Dilimi area of Jos North Local Government Area on Monday evening.

READ ALSO: Many Trapped As Building Collapse In Jos, Rescue Operations Ongoing

The figure was confirmed by NEMA’s Head of Rescue Operations, North Central, Mr Nurudeen Musa. He noted that the rescue operation is still ongoing with evacuator machinery mobilised to the site of the collapse.

The joint rescue effort is being carried out by the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the Plateau State Emergency Agency (SEMA), Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) officers, the fire brigade, police officers and members of the Nigerian Red Cross Society.

The search and rescue operators, however, lamented that their operation is been hindered by the crowd.

 

See more photos from the building collapse below…

NEMA Distributes Agricultural Inputs To Jigawa Flood Victims

 

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has commenced the distribution of agricultural inputs to thousands of affected farmers in 19 Local Government Areas of Jigawa State.

NEMA’s distribution team leader in the state, Saad Bello, explained that this was part of measures to assist farmers affected by the flood that hit Jigawa in 2018.

He noted that hundreds of farmers have so far received the inputs since the flagged off of the distribution in Ringim centre.

READ ALSOOne Corps Member Dead, 19 Others Injured In Taraba Accident

Bello added that the exercise was ongoing while it would also take place at various centres simultaneously in the state.

He advised the farmers not to sell the agricultural inputs they have gotten, saying they were distributed to assist them in improving their farming.

One of the beneficiaries in Ringim, Inusa Magaji, thanked NEMA and the Federal Government for the intervention which noted would go a long way to boost their farm production.

Another beneficiary, Garzali Sani, said he was grateful for the assistance as he could not ordinarily afford to buy some of the items he has received.

Items being distributed include seedlings of rice, sorghum, millet, maize and sesame, as well as fertilizers, sprayers and agro-chemicals, among others.

See photos below:

137 Nigerians Return From Libya

 

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has received 137 stranded Nigerians from Libya, bringing the number of Nigerian returnees from the country to 12,457.

They were brought back in a Charter Al Buraq Airline, which landed at the cargo wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos at about 8:20 pm on Thursday.

This was confirmed in a statement issued by the coordinator, NEMA Lagos Territorial Office, Idris Muhammed.

Read Also: One Dead, Eight Others Missing In Fresh Zamfara Attack

According to him, the returnees consisted of 94 male, 34 female and nine children and infants.

This latest batch brings the total number of Assisted Voluntary Returnees from 10 different countries to 14,036 since April 2017, when the European Union and International Organisation for Migration special programme began.

NEMA Repatriates 136 Stranded Nigerians From Libya 

 

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has received a fresh batch of 136 stranded Nigerians from Libya.

The returnees arrived at the cargo wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja last night and were received by NEMA officials alongside officials of other national agencies.

The returnees who were brought back by the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) consist of 59 adult females, 4 female children, and 5 female infants.

READ ALSO: National Assembly Is Toying With Nigeria’s Security, Says Falana

63 of them are adult males, 2 male children and 3 infant males.

The European Union has pledged to support the IOM and other aid agencies with funds to complete the reintegration of the returnees to the larger society.

180 More Nigerians Return From Libya

180 Stranded Nigerians Return From Libya

 

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) says it has received a batch of 180 Nigerians stranded in Libya.

According to a statement from the agency on Tuesday, the returnees comprised 82 female adults, two female children, and 11 female infants.

Similarly, the males comprised 79 adults, one child, and five infants, making a total of 95 females and 85 males.

READ ALSOBuhari Rejects Ajaokuta Steel Company Bill, Seven Others

The returnees arrived aboard an airplane which landed at the Cargo Wing of the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Ikeja in Lagos on Monday night.

They were received by the coordinator of NEMA’s Lagos Territorial Office, Mr Idris Muhammed, who urged them to make better use of their bitter experiences in positive ways.

He asked the returnees to turn a new leaf and forge ahead of the dangers and risks that they escaped in the course of their unfortunate sojourn.

Muhammed also appealed to all the segments of the society to see the menace of irregular migrations as an emergency situation.

He said that any situation where life was under threat must be considered to be an emergency and all hands must be on deck to stem to stop and prevent it.

The coordinator explained that in emergency situations, everyone has a role to play, including the media, NGO, and government agencies among others.

He also asked parents to partner and cooperate with relevant agencies to stem the menace of irregular migration through continuous enlightenment and awareness creation across the board.

NEMA Distributes Relief, Empowerment Items To 785 Flood Victims In Ogun

 

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has distributed relief materials to 785 residents of Ogun State who were affected by flash floods on July 13, 2018.

At a ceremony in the state capital, Abeokuta, beneficiaries were also presented with empowerment materials such as sewing machines, pumping machines, grinding machines, hair dryers to boost their means of livelihood.

They commended the Federal Government for the initiative which they believe will reduce their sufferings.

According to the spokesperson for the agency in the Southwest region, Ibrahim Farinloye, the initiative is the third phase of the government’s Joint Direct Distribution Of Livelihood Restoration Materials to persons affected by the flooding last year.

Read Also: FEC Approves 27.4billion Naira For Victims Of Flood, Conflict And Insecurity

The development comes nearly a week after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) approved the sum of N27.4 billion as intervention funds for victims of floods, conflicts, and insecurity across the nation.

Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi State who is also Vice Chairman of the National Food Security Council had disclosed this to journalists last Wednesday.

Bagudu noted that 69, 872 persons will benefit from over N8 billion earmarked for the victims of conflict and insecurity, while N18 billion was specifically earmarked for flood victims across 14 states.

Among the worst hit were Niger, Kogi, Delta and Anambra states – a situation which led the Federal Government to declare flooding a national disaster in the four states while eight others were placed on watch list.

NEMA Receives Another 174 Nigerian Returnees From Libya

 

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has received another 174 stranded Nigerians from Libya.

They include 84 females, comprising of 62 adults, 11 children, 11 infants, also 90 males, comprising 74 adults, 12 children, and 4 infants.

The coordinator of NEMA’s Lagos territorial office, Idris Muhammed gave this information when he received the latest batch of 174 Nigerians on the 64th flight.

READ ALSONEMA Receives Another 174 Returnees From Libya

He said the Federal Government is working with state and local authorities to ensure that the returnees are given a new lease of life and a sense of belonging.

According to him, over 4,900 of those that have returned have been given various skills acquisition training and empowered to set up businesses in their choice of occupation.

A total of 12,574 Nigerians have returned from Libya as part of the assisted voluntary returnees program of the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) which started in April 2017.

Ex-NEMA Boss, Supporters Dump PDP In Kaduna

Ex-NEMA Boss, Supporters Dump PDP In Kaduna

 

A former Director General of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mr Mohammed Sidi, has defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Kaduna State.

Sidi, who is a governorship aspirant, announced his exit from the party in a statement on Sunday by his spokesperson, Ahmed Maiyaki.

With less than one week to the governorship and houses of assembly elections, he said he has left the party along with hundreds of his supporters across the 23 local government areas of the state.

The former NEMA DG explained that their decision to leave the PDP was due to what he described as the manipulation of the party’s primaries in 2018.

READ ALSOMy Son-In-Law, Lawyer ‘Paying The Price For Supporting Me’ – Atiku

He alleged that the exercise was characterised by impunity, lack of internal democracy, and intimidation of party delegates by the leadership of the party.

Sidi, however, did not declare any political party he and his supporters would pitch their tent ahead of the elections.

He also accused the PDP leadership in Kaduna of failing to genuinely engage all aspirants towards consultation and reconciliation, a task he said was important to help the party forge ahead.

In a letter sent to the chairman of the party at Unguwan Sarki Ward in Kaduna North Local Government Area, the former NEMA DG claimed that there was mistrust among the party leadership, the governorship candidate, and some members.

It read, “It is based on these reasons and after due consultation with my political associates across the 23 local government areas, l decided to resign my membership of the party henceforth. And l thank you most sincerely for your support while in the party.”

NEMA Receives 160 Returnees From Libya

155 Nigerians Return From Libya
File Photo of Nigerian returnees from Libya.

 

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), has received a fresh batch of returnees from Libya.

The 160 returnees consisting of 74 females and 86 males (both adults and children), were received by the Coordinator, Lagos Territorial Office of NEMA, Idris Muhammed, at the Cargo Wing of MMIA, Ikeja Lagos on Thursday.

They were brought back by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) as part of EU’s special intervention on Assisted Voluntary Returnees (AVR) Programme.

While receiving them, the Coordinator implored other Nigerians still aspiring to travel out of the country to desist from irregular migration.

According to him, they expose themselves to inhumane conditions which could otherwise be avoided.

A returnee, Mrs Adebisi Komolafe, an indigene of Osun State narrating her ordeal said if she had an idea of how bad the experience would be, she wouldn’t have taken the chance.

She, however, called on Nigerians to keep praying for the leaders, saying that if God guides the leaders right, things may not be so bad in the country.

“Nigerians need to keep praying fervently for our leaders.

“Despite the bad situations in Libya, the people believe in their leaders and are praying fervently for them. They still see hope in their country”.

“If Nigerians can avoid blaming Government for everything, with faith and sincerity our prayers will be accepted by God.

“God will guide our leaders right if we direct our supplications to Almighty God to guide our leaders right.”

“I don’t wish any Nigerian should think of travelling to Libya, I never knew the situation in Libya before I left, if I had known, I wouldn’t have travelled there,” Komolafe said, adding “Nigeria is far better than that country”.

According to her, since she travelled in 2016, she worked as a maid but despite making some money, she could not send anything back home to her family in Nigeria.

“The only thing I did was to buy goods that I can sell when I get back to Nigeria and I brought everything back now,” she said.

Another returnee, Aisha Ibrahim from Oyo State, also said she regretted her ordeal.

According to her, her sister introduced her to the idea of travelling while convincing her that there were several opportunities in Libya to earn money.

She said, “My sister paid for my transportation and after a week on arrival in Libya, I got a housemaid work.

“You must work and carry out any instructions given by those people. You must do whatever directives given. Failure to comply obey them will attract still punishment or arrest.

“At times, I will not come back to my sister’s house for 3 or six months.

“In Libya, you don’t have freedom, once they hear you are a Nigerian, trouble starts. They don’t like us, you cannot change work.

“If you have travelling documents and you are caught, those documents will not be returned to you and you will be arrested.

“They can raid your house and cart away all your savings and property”.

According to her, she worked for six months without break and when she wanted to visit her sister, she was arrested and all her money was taken from her.

She explained that she wasn’t released until about N400,000 was paid by her sister.

Thereafter, she started making efforts to return home.

“Libya is far better than Nigeria” Ibrahim said, advising anyone making plans to travel illegally to desist from such.

NEMA Confirms Three Killed In Borno IDP Camp Fire

NEMA Confirms Three Killed In Borno IDP Camp Fire

 

Three persons have been killed in a fire outbreak at the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp in Monguno, Borno State.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed this in a statement on Friday by its Head of Media and Public Relations, Mr Sani Datti.

According to him, the incident occurred on Thursday at the IDP camp in the town which is located about 137 kilometres from Maiduguri, the state capital.

“The fire which, occurred in the camp that is located inside the local stadium in Monguno town, affected about 7,839 persons with a total of three lives lost,” said Datti.

READ ALSORobbers Kill Policeman In Ekiti

He explained further, “The fire occurred at noon from one of the makeshift shelters where a woman was cooking and spread across the camp, destroying about 402 re-enforced/transitional shelters and 933 makeshift homes burnt.”

On behalf of the Federal Government, the Director General of NEMA, Mustapha Maihaja, sympathised with the government and the people of the state over the incident.

He also condoled with the displaced people and assured them that the agency was already working with other stakeholders to provide immediate relief assistance to those affected.