[PHOTOS] Tears As Lagos Govt Demolishes Shanties In Obalende

The Lagos State government has commenced the demolition of illegal structure and shanties around the Obalende area of the state.

A task force team that stormed the area in the early hours of Saturday said prior warnings including a 48-hour notice had been issued to the occupants.

Some occupants, however, claimed that the notice was too short.

See photos below:

EFCC Leads Walk Against Corruption

EFCC, CorruptionThe Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and other anti-corruption campaigners took to the streets on Thursday to drum up support for the federal government’s war against graft.

The walk against corruption took place simultaneously in the six geopolitical zones of the country.

In Lagos, officials of the EFCC, members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) alongside other groups in support of the war against corruption walked from the commission’s office in the Ikoyi area through to Obalende, Broad Street to Tinubu Square and back.

The walk lasted about two hours.

The Deputy Director Of Operations, Iliyasu Kwarbai, who led the walk said that the idea was to mobilise and educate members of the public to key into the anti-graft war.

“The fight is not only for government or the EFCC, the fight is for everybody and that is the reason why to educate members of the public,” he said.

In Port Harcourt, the capital of Rivers State, members of the south-south zone of the commission also took to the streets.

The Zonal Head of the commission who led the walk tagged ‘Let’s Fight Corruption Together’ said that the level of rot in the Nigerian system and the recoveries made so far is shocking.

“There is a political will. Nobody anywhere in the world can doubt the sincerity, integrity and purposefulness of the current president, President Muhammadu Buhari.

The message from both rallies was clear, everyone needs to get on board and kill corruption before it kills the country.

Ebola Update: Fashola Gives N76m To First Consultant Hospital, Others

First consultantThe Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola has donated N50 million to First Consultant Medical Centre, Obalende, where the index case of the deadly Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), was reported.

This was stated in a press release by the Ministry Of Health, which was signed by the Assistant Director, Press & Public Relations, Tunbosun Ogunbanwo.

The Governor also presented N26 million to all the 13 EVD casualties and survivors in the state to enable them carry on with their lives.

The Governor, who was represented by the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, at a brief cheque presentation ceremony held at the Ministry of Health’s Conference Room, Alausa commended the survivors for the roles they played in the containment of EVD, adding that the gesture goes to show that the State Government had not forgotten the sacrifices made by both survivors and casualties of EVD.

He explained that each of the 13 survivors and relatives of the dead victims would get N2 million each as government support for their humanitarian service during the containment, while the First Consultant Medical Centre, who bore the brunt of the outbreak of the disease would get N50 million.

He added that the State Government would also support the facility in any way it can to bring the facility back to business.

Fashola, who described the gesture as a support to the heroes and heroines of the Ebola-Free Nigeria, noted that it was not a compensation but an act of showing compassion for a group of highly patriotic Nigerians who rescued the nation from a deadly epidemic at their own expense.

According to Fashola, the outbreak and eventual containment of the disease was a phenomenon, adding that since the outbreak of EVD till date, Nigeria had only contributed 0.22% and 0.18% to the global burden of the suspected confirmed cases and deaths respectively.

The Governor added that the State Government is addressing some issues which emanates from the containment of the deadly disease stressing that these includes the issues of stigmatization, level of preparedness for outbreak of infectious diseases, upgrade of infectious disease hospital to handle any infectious disease and delving into research to contribute to the body of knowledge for EVD.

“We cannot compensate First Consultant Medical Centre fully for their losses. We want to show our appreciation to the facility, the survivors and families of the dead victims for their sacrifices that made containment of the disease possible.

“We would do all within our powers to bring the facility back on its feet and in business and re-secure the patronage of their customers.”

He concluded that the facility has been decontaminated and have been certified by the World Health Organization to be fit to return to the business of medical services stressing that he, including officials of the State Ministry have also visited the facility.

The Chief Medical Director of First Consultant Medical Centre, Benjamin Ohaeri, thanked the Governor and the State Government for the gesture stressing that this would restore hope and enliven the atmosphere at the hospital, as well as boost the morale of the personnel.

Also present at the ceremony were the Commissioner for Information, Mr. Lateef Ibirogba; Commissioner for Special Duties, Dr. Wale Ahmed; Special Adviser to the Governor on Environment, Dr. Taofik Folami; Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Dr. ‘Modele Osunkiyesi and Permanent Secretary PHC Board, Dr. Kayode Oguntimehin.

Nigeria Adopts Double-Barreled Approach To Further Contain Ebola- Prof Chukwu

Onyebuchi Chukwu on EbolaNigeria’s former Minister of Health, Prof Onyebuchi Chukwu on Tuesday said the Federal Government has chosen a double barrel approach to continue the fight against the Ebola Virus Disease despite the declaration by the World Health Organisation (WHO) that Nigeria is Ebola free.

He noted that the government is also not relenting in finding a cure to the virus as the “Treatment Group for the Ebola Virus Disease have been working and collecting various claims from Nigerians, scientists and other alike and are trying to verify them.

“They have selected a number of claims that they think are worth researching into and they are beginning to develop the protocol for research”, he said.

He said Nigeria has joined the rest of the world under the auspices of the World Health Organisation to make its contribution to the fight against the disease on the global stage.

“So it is a double barrel approach; we are trying to do things within the country and we are also trying to collaborate with the international community because that is the only way to go.

“There must be a vaccine if the world is ever to hope that it can be able to combat it any moment and lay it to rest”, insisting that “if we cant get a vaccine, then we should have a specific drug developed that can be effective against the virus”.

He also reiterated the call by the Federal Government on Nigerians not to rest their oars in maintaining preventive measures against the contained Ebola Virus Disease.

“The battle is won but the war is not yet won and we must even now be on alert” he said, adding that “it is great to succeed but it is more difficult to stay on top of that success”.

He urged Nigerians to remain vigilant and urged them to continue to do “all the things we thought you; all the things we agreed we must do- enhanced personal hygiene, enhanced sanitation, alertness at ports of entry, seaports, land crosses, airports- and when people are sick endeavour to go to a proper hospital”, he said, adding that “we must continue to do all this”.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) had on Monday declared Nigeria free of the deadly Ebola Virus. Nigeria did not recorded a new case of Ebola for 42 days or two incubation period of 21 days.

WHO representative, Rui Gama Vaz, who said it was a “spectacular success story”, added that “Nigeria is now free of Ebola.

“This is a spectacular success story. It shows that Ebola can be contained but we must be clear that we have only won a battle, the war will only end when West Africa is also declared free of Ebola”, he said.

The disease gained entry into the country in July when Liberian, Patrick Sawyer, came in on a diplomatic assignment.

The diplomat had fallen ill and was admitted at the First Consultants Hospital, Obalende, in Lagos.

NLC Commends FG for Victory Over Ebola

nlcThe Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has expressed delight with the cheering news of Nigeria being declared free of the deadly Ebola Virus Disease by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

In a statement issued in Kaduna on Monday, Vice President of the Union, Issa Aremu, said that Nigeria’s victory against Ebola is a sign of good governance which must be sustained, and also urged the Federal, state and local governments to use the same zeal in the fight against malaria and other killer diseases that are ravaging the country.

The NLC Vice President commended the efforts and measures taken by the Federal Government and state governments, particularly the Lagos State Government and all stakeholders to curb the spread of the disease in Nigeria.

Part of the text reads; “It is a mark of good governance that Nigeria applied a bi-partisan national approach to curb and curtail an epidemic of a disease without a cure and record a globally acclaimed achievement. We must apply same approach to eradicate polio, malaria and cholera.”

As the country celebrate the feat, Aremu cautioned of any form of complacency by both the government and the citizens, tasking relevant government agencies to remain on duty to guard against any new infection in Nigeria.

This, he said, would be sustained if government would strengthen the public healthcare system, motivate health workers and continue compulsory screening on the nation’s boarders, airports, seaports and ensure the use of hand sanitizers at all times.

The NLC Vice President expressed further that Nigeria’s victory cannot be sustained if the Ebola disease continues to ravage other West African countries like Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

He, therefore, urged the Nigerian Government to give necessary support to the neighbouring West African countries being ravaged by the Ebola disease.

WHO Declares Nigeria Ebola Free

Ebola Virus Disease.The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Monday declared Nigeria free of the deadly Ebola Virus. Nigeria has not recorded a new case of Ebola for 42 days or two incubation period of 21 days.

WHO representative, Rui Gama Vaz, who said it was a “spectacular success story”, added that “Nigeria is now free of Ebola.

“This is a spectacular success story. It shows that Ebola can be contained but we must be clear that we have only won a battle, the war will only end when West Africa is also declared free of Ebola”, he said.

The disease gained entry into the country in July when Liberian, Patrick Sawyer, came in on diplomatic assignment.

The diplomat had fallen ill and was admitted at the First Consultants Hospital, Obalende, in Lagos.

Nigeria had 20 cases in total, of which eight died.

The outbreak has killed more than 4,500 people in West Africa, mostly in Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone.

An estimated 70% of those infected have died in those countries.

The WHO officially declared Senegal Ebola-free on Friday. Below is the full statement by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

Official Statement By WHO country representative, Rui Gama Vaz

‎Today 20th October, 42 days(twice the incubation period) after the last confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease was discharged from the isolation ward having tested negative for Ebola virus, the chains of transmission have been broken.

WHO officially declares that Nigeria is now free of Ebola virus transmission. The virus is gone for now. The outbreak in Nigeria has been contained. But we must be clear that we only won a battle. The war will only end when West Africa is also declared free of Ebola.

While the outbreak is now officially over, Nigeria’s geographical position and extensive borders makes the country vulnerable to additional imported cases of Ebola Virus Disease. It is therefore critical to continue vigilance for any suspected cases by strict compliance with WHO EVD preparedness guidelines. Therefore there is need to continue to work together with states to ensure adequate preparedness to rapidly respond, in case of any potential re-importation.

Election tribunal delivers judgement on Ikoyi/Obalende LCDA election

Supporters of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) and The People’s Democratic Party (PDP), turned up at the Ikeja High Court today where the Lagos State Election Petition Tribunal, sat to deliver judgment on the results of Ward D of Ikoyi/Obalende Local Council Development Area.

The PDP is challenging the results of 3 of 5 wards which make up the Ikoyi/Obalende LCDA on the basis that they scored the highest votes and not the ACN as declared by the Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission, LASIEC.

The results contested are for wards B, D and E.

In the judgment for ward D delivered today, the 5 man tribunal agreed with the ACN and LASIEC that the witnesses who testified on behalf of the PDP gave hearsay evidence which were not admissible as the matters were not within their personal knowledge.

The tribunal also faulted the PDP witnesses who brought results of elections in bundles of documents and couldn’t lead evidence as to the content of the results.

The petition of the PDP was therefore dismissed.