Suspected Cultists Set Imo Police Station Ablaze

Police Dismiss Inspector For 'Shooting And Killing Kolade Johnson'

 

Some suspected cultists have attacked a police station in Obowo Local Government Area of Imo State.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Orlando Ikeokwu, confirmed the report to Channels Television on Monday, adding that the hoodlums set the station ablaze and carted away firearms.

The hoodlums were said to have arrived the police station at about 2:00 pm on Monday chased off the few policemen on duty and carted away firearms belonging to the division.

Read Also: Gunmen Invade Police Station, Kill DPO, Three Others

Details later…

DPO, Three Others Killed As Gunmen Attack Edo Police Station, INEC Office

 

A Divisional Police Officer (DPO) and three other persons were killed on Tuesday evening when gunmen invaded the Afuze Divisional Police Headquarters in Owan East Local Government Area of Edo State.

The gunmen also attacked the INEC Office in Afuze. No death was recorded at the INEC office as the officials on the ground during the incident said they fled by jumping over the back fence.

The commissioner of police, Dan Mallam Mohammed, who visited the scenes of the attacks on Wednesday morning, confirmed the incident and offered an assurance that investigation was ongoing and justice would be served.

Meanwhile, the Chairman of Etsako East LGA, Andrew Osigwe, has asked the residents to go about their lawful business, assuring them of their safety.

Police Defuse Letter Bomb Sent To Station In Norway

Police stand guard at Central railway station in Oslo. Norwegian police said today they had defused a potentially devastating letter bomb that had been sent to a police station. — Reuters pic

 

Norwegian police said Thursday they had defused a potentially devastating letter bomb that had been sent to a police station, a rare incident in the tranquil Scandinavian country.

The Ski police station, located southeast of Oslo, was evacuated early Wednesday after an employee alerted superiors to a suspicious package.

It turned out to contain a homemade bomb primed to explode when the package was opened.

“A real bomb that could, and was designed to, harm people,” police commissioner Steven Hasseldal told reporters.

“This is a very serious crime. We consider it an attack against the police that could have caused a lot of damage,” he said.

A bomb disposal unit defused the device.

Police said they had no suspects at this stage.

This type of incident is extremely rare in Norway, where police are generally respected and where officers are usually unarmed.

AFP

Youths Set Police Station Ablaze In Osun

Scenes from the police station set ablaze by the angry youths on Friday, August 24, 2018.

 

Some youths in Iwo community, Osun State, on Friday morning set ablaze a police station located at Adeeke area of the state.

The angry youths reportedly set the police station on fire following the murder of a student identified as Tunde Nafiu.

Nafiu was allegedly shot dead by a police officer on Thursday while returning from Oluponan town in the state.

The police station was set ablaze after the youths and some students stormed the police station forcing police officers to flee and scamper for safety. They also burnt tyres at some location in the town leaving residents in fear.

READ ALSO: Ayefele, Ajimobi Meet Over Music House Demolition

The Commissioner of Police, Fimihan Adeoye, confirmed the incident. He added that the circumstance which led to the shooting of the student by the officer is yet to be established.

According to Adeoye, the four officers on patrol on the night of the incident are currently in detention for further investigation.

He vowed that if found guilty, the officer(s) will be made to face the wrath of the law.

Fimihan also revealed that relative calm has been restored to Iwo and maintained that all those who took laws into their hands will be dealt with according to the law.

Six Killed In Attack On South Africa Police Station

 

An armed gang stormed into a rural police station in South Africa on Wednesday and stole firearms in an attack that left five officers and a soldier dead, police said.

The robbers entered the police station in the southern village of Engcobo shortly after midnight, opening fire on the officers and seizing two others, who were later shot and killed, police spokesman Vish Naidoo said.

“During the early hours of this morning six people were killed when robbers attacked Engcobo police station,” Naidoo told AFP.

“Five of the six were on-duty police officers. Three police officers were killed at the police station when robbers attacked the station and randomly opened fire on the members.”

Naidoo said the robbers made off with firearms and bundled two other officers into a police car. The bodies of the two were later found dumped on the side of a road.

The attackers also shot and killed a soldier as they fled.

Attacks on police are common in South Africa, which has one of the highest crime rates in the world.

At least 57 police officers were killed in the line of duty in the 12 months between April 2016 and March 2017, according to the latest crime statistics available.

AFP

Court Remands 67 Suspects Over Abia Crisis

Ondo Judicial Commission Suspends Magistrates Over Improper Appointment

 

Sixty-seven people have been remanded in prison for their alleged involvement in the mayhem and security unrest that rocked Abia State recently.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Anthony Ogbizi, disclosed this to reporters in the Umuahia, the state capital.

According to him, seven of the suspects were arrested in Aba for alleged arson, killing a police officer and burning of vehicles at the Police Station in Ariaria International Market.

The Police Commissioner added that the other sixty suspects were arrested across the state capital for conspiracy and road blockage among other offences.

He, however, assured people of the state that efforts have been put in place by the Police Command to return normalcy to every part of the state.

Ogbizi hinted further that investigation was ongoing to fish out others involved in the mayhem.

The suspects, who are said to be members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), were arraigned on Monday before a High Court in the state.

Police Station Set Ablaze Over Alleged Killing In Abia

Photo: Bellanaija.com

Tension remains high in Abia State, as about three people are reported to have been killed in Umuahia, the state capital, allegedly by soldiers.

The incident is said to have triggered a violent reaction in the neighbouring town of Aba, resulting in the burning of a police station by an angry mob at Ariaria International Market.

An eyewitness told Channels Television that the soldiers shot the three people and immediately took their bodies away, condemning the action of the soldiers whom he said opened fire on people going about their daily business.

Following the violence, people were said to have closed their shops, while some of the angry youths were said to have mounted road blocks but were prevailed upon to remove them and remain calm.

But the Nigerian Army has denied invading any community in Abia State and in the entire south-eastern part of Nigeria neither was anyone killed by soldiers in Umuahia.

Deputy Director Army Public Relations, 82 Division, Col. Sagir Musa told Channels Television that the rumour is baseless and mischievous and should, therefore, be disregarded.

He added that soldiers are lawfully deployed, with a clear mandate, rules of engagement and code of conduct to combat identified obvious security challenges in the South-East Nigeria.

Meanwhile, the new Commissioner of Police in the state, Anthony Ogbizi, who took over from Adeleye Oyebade, this morning, has given the assurance that his men are patrolling all the city to maintain the peace.

He said, “When people take the law into their hands, go attack and destroy, they are hoodlums. If you carry out peaceful agitation, it is a different thing. But when it comes to violence, of course, we will not stand idly by and allow you get away with it. And because of that, everybody is already being directed to take the necessary steps to involve the law.

“I think nobody should test the will of the state. We’ve deployed people to go and ensure that the whole of that area is clear. And wherever there are those pockets of hoodlum activity, we will ensure that it’s cleared.”

Anambra Community Gets New Police Station, Patrol Van

AnambraThe Commissioner of Police in Anambra State has commissioned a permanent Police station and a Hilux Police Patrol Vehicle in Awgbu community of the state.

Addressing the residents, Mr Hassan Karma commended their initiative in contributing to the development, saying it was worthy of emulation by all and sundry.

He encouraged them to sustain the tempo of support for the Police and always report suspicious characters and movements in the community to ensure a safe and secured environment.

The Police Commissioner recalled that Anambra State was formerly regarded as an unsafe place to live in or do business due to the alarming rate of violence but the cooperation of the Police, other security agencies, the state government and the people of the state has helped to reduce the trend of crime.

He assured the people that the new Police station would assist the Divisional Police Headquarters while urging the Divisional Police Officer of Ajalli Division to take proper charge of the new police station.

The Local Government Chairman, Okey Enekwe, called for a new Police division to be created in the LGA to serve over five communities, as well as help in combating border clashes with the neighbouring Enugu State.

The President-General of the community, John Onwuka, also thanked the community for rallying to achieve the feat, stating that the communities must not return to the days when jungle justice was meted on the people by some elements in the traditional community police.

 

Police Arrest Suspected Rapists In Kano

policePolice Arrest Suspected Rapists In Kano Police have arraigned 57 suspected rapists before a Magistrate Court in Zungeru Road, Sabon Gari area of Kano State in northern Nigeria.

Addressing reporters after the court proceedings, the Kano State Commissioner of Police, Musa Katsina, said most of the victims were receiving treatment in undisclosed hospitals across the state.

Gang-raped

Most of the victims are said to be boys and girls below the age of 10.

According to the Police, some of the victims were gang-raped by men old enough to be their grandparents. Three of the victims tested HIV positive while several others are being treated of various Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

Although most of the suspects denied any involvement in rape, the court ordered that they should be remanded, pending the outcome of further investigations.

Meanwhile, the Police Commissioner, who said there would be no going back on his campaign against rapists, also called on parents to remain vigilant and ensure they know the whereabouts of their children at all time.

The command therefore urged members of the community not to hesitate in reporting any case of rape or child abuse to the nearest Police Station, as protection of children’s right is non-negotiable. He reminded them that the protection of children had become a collective responsibility of all.

SGF, Chief of Defense Staff Visit Nyanya Bomb Site

NyanyaThe Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babachir Lawal and the Chief of Defense Staff, General Abayomi Olonisakin have urged citizens to remain calm as perpetrators of the Abuja bombings would be brought to book.

Speaking to journalists after visiting the sites and the National Hospital, where most of the victims of the Nyanya bombing were transferred to for treatment, the SGF gave the assurance that the insurgents would be defeated.

“We want to encourage Nigerians not to despair because we know that the insurgents are being defeated… As the President has directed and as the security agents have assured, come December we will be rid of this menace,” he said.

The Chief of Defence Staff, however, said that security agencies would need to reassess their strategies to beat the new dimension that the insurgents have taken.

“We commiserate with the families who have lost their dear ones and for the security agencies we will begin to reappraise our security infrastructure and setup to ensure that we are able to address this challenges appropriately.Nyanya

“We are really sad that these insurgents have decided to be hitting on soft targets but we are not deterred in our efforts to rid them from the nation, Nigeria.

“We are working with the President’s directive and we are putting all action and all our strategies in place to ensure that we achieve the presidential directive.”

Victims of the Nyanya bomb blast who were hitherto rushed to the Nyanya General Hospital have all been transferred to the National and Asokoro General Hospital in Abuja for intensive care.

The Head of Clinical Services at the Asokoro Hospital also confirmed that bodies of three persons have also been deposited in the morgue.

A total of 20 deaths and 41 injured have been recorded from the three blasts that rocked Nyanya and Kuje, both suburbs of Abuja on Friday night.

The site of the suicide bombing in Nyanya has been cordoned by security officials, but the damage left by the bomber is huge.

This is the second time in two years that suicide bombers have detonated bombs in Nyanya with several casualties.

Abuja Bombing: Death Toll Now 20

Abuja bombingDeath tolls from the bombing that rocked two satellite towns in Abuja has risen to 20.

The Director of Public Health at the Ministry of Health, Mr Opada Balami, said that the fatality figures in Kuje has risen to 15, while that of Nyanya now stands at five.

According to him, out of the 41 injured, only 24 are currently receiving treatment at the various government hospitals in Abuja as others with minor injuries have been discharged.

“The total number of persons that died are 20 and distributed as follows; Kuje, we have 15 persons who died, at the Nyanya site we have five persons who also died.

“The total number of persons that were injured and taken to hospital by the first responders are as follows; Kuje 20, Nyanya 21.

“Number of cases currently in the hospital; there are no cases in the Nyanya and Kuje General Hospital but we have seven patients in Asokoro Hospital. We also have 13 patients in National Hospital and four patients in Gwagwalada Teaching Hospital,” he said.

Senate President Saraki Condemns Abuja Bomb Blasts

sarakiSenate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, has condemned the bomb explosions in the satellite towns of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Kuje and Nyanya.

Senator Saraki, in a statement by his Media Office in Abuja, urged Nigerians not to panic, as the renewed attacks are signs that the days of Boko Haram are numbered.

He commended the security agencies for their quick response to the incidents in Nyanya and Kuje, especially the prompt evacuation of both the dead and injured to medical facilities where they are receiving needed medical attention.

He, however, urged the security agencies to step up the intelligence gathering machinery and leave no stone unturned in ensuring that the peace that has returned to the Federal Capital Tertiary (FCT) and its environs is not only sustained but improved upon.

He also called on Nigerians not to relent in their prayers and making critical intelligence available to security forces, to aid them in their final onslaught against insurgency in the North-East and other affected parts of the country.

The Senate President commiserated with the families of victims of the explosions and wished those hospitalized speedy recovery.

He said that the Senate would continue to support the troops with appropriate legislations and necessary budgetary allocations to enable them succeed in the task of effectively defending the territorial integrity of the country, as well as assisting in the maintenance of internal security.