Primary School Containing Electoral Materials Set Ablaze In Benue

 

A primary school where all electoral materials for Mbalom ward in Gwer East Local Government Area of Benue State were kept has been set ablaze, according to reports reaching Channels Television. 

All the electoral materials are said to have been completely destroyed in the fire.

Suspected thugs had reportedly stormed the school premises shooting in the air to scare residents away before setting the school ablaze.

LIVE: Nigeria Holds Governorship, State Assembly Elections

The Resident Electoral Commissioner for Benue state, Mister Nentawe Yilwatda, confirmed the incident to our correspondent.

Mr. Nentawe said besides the Mbalom case, a number of hitches have been reported, noting that he would address the media as soon as details of from security agencies get to his office.

Meanwhile, in Gbajimba, at the Guma local council where Governor Ortom voted earlier, gunmen had attempted an attack on the election materials but the residents stood their grounds against the attempt.

However, two persons were killed by the gunmen in the process.

Troops Arrest Political Thugs In Sokoto

 

The Nigerian Army has said that troops of Exercise Python Dance III with some Security Operatives have arrested a number of thugs in Sokoto with dangerous weapons in their possessions.

Army spokesman, Brig Gen Sani Usman said in a statement on Sunday that the thugs were arrested with customised sticks and other weapons.

According to him, 16 of the arrested thugs have been documented and handed over to the police for further action.

He, however, noted that there have been undue pressures on Security agencies to free the thugs while raising concern about the clash between the police escort of a serving Senator and a DSS operative on the matter.

“While still conducting the search, a prominent politician in the state and a serving Senator, came to the scene and ordered his mobile police escorts to release them.

“In the process, the Department of State Service operative was molested and his clothes torn. The patriotic and professional officer still held on to the seized weapons. Similarly, another prominent politician from Zamfara State had earlier tried to influence the investigation of arrested armed political thugs,” Brig Gen Usman said.

READ ALSO: Army Reveals New Boko Haram Plot To Win Confidence Of Locals

He further noted that “These undue pressures and attempts to interfere with the conduct of the Exercise for selfish reasons are indeed worrisome and disturbing and will not be tolerated.”

According to the Army spokesman, troops have always been “professional, impartial and apolitical and will continue to be so”.

He added that ” Since the operationalization of the Exercise in January 2019, we have arrested thugs armed with dangerous weapons across the various political parties, without fear or favour. The thugs were documented and handed over to the police. We have noted with great concern that such criminals usually find themselves back into society without any sanction”.

He, however, assured Nigerians that the army is ever committed to creating a conducive and secure environment for the smooth and peaceful conduct of the forthcoming general elections in the country.

He further noted that the army would not tolerate any undue interference from any quarters in the discharge of its noble responsibility.  Hence the force has resolved to hold on to any arrested criminal or armed thugs till the end of the elections.

“All Commanders have been further directed to continue to carry out their duties diligently, despite the provocation from some misguided elements,” Brig Gen Usman stressed.

Several Vehicles Damaged As Thugs Attack Saraki’s Home Town

 

Several vehicles were damaged on Sunday in Agbaji, Kwara State after thugs attacked the home town and family house of the Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki.

Several persons were also said to have been injured in the process.

The attack comes few days after some thugs were said to have attacked supporters of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) also in the state.

Saraki condemned the attack, claiming that it was masterminded by members of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

“I just finished assessing the level of damage done to my family quarters and community today in Agbaji, Ilorin by the thugs of a factional All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate in the state,” he wrote on Twitter hours later.

He also urged members of the PDP not to retaliate, saying that regardless of the attacks, the party will continue to run issues-based campaigns across the country.

The state chairman of the APC also condemned the attack.

He, however, blamed it on the members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

See Photos Below.

Controversy Trails Ekiti Courts Closure

EkitiThere appears to be conflicting reports on the continued closure of the courts in Ekiti State.

While reports claim that federal authorities directed the police to ensure the courts remain shut, the Police Force PRO, Mr Emmanuel Ojukwu, has said that he was not aware of any such directive.

Mr Ojukwu and the state’s Attorney-General, Mr Wale Fapohunda, however, agreed that the courts were shut at the instance of the Chief Judge of the state, Justice Ayo Daramola.

The Attorney-General added that the National Judicial Council had given a directive on Wednesday that the courts should re-open but says that the police is preventing this from happening.

The courts in Ekiti were shut in September after an invasion by thugs said to be loyal to the Governor-elect, Mr Ayo Fayose.

The Ekiti State election petition tribunal was to begin proceedings on the petition filed by the All Progressives Congress (APC) challenging the victory of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Ayodele Fayose.

Ekiti Security: Police Place Men On Red Alert

Nigerian Police on patrolThe Police in Ekiti State, South West Nigeria, has placed its men on red alert to foil any plan to further disrupt the peace in the state.

The Police statement revealed that the command is in receipt of an intelligence report that some hooligans within the state and their accomplices outside the state are planning to wreck more havoc on the existing fragile peace in the state.

The Commissioner of Police, Taiwo Lakanu, has also ordered the deployment of adequate manpower to embark on extensive vehicle and foot patrols on all nooks and crannies of the state.

He has equally directed that policemen should henceforth embark on thorough searching of vehicles and pedestrians so as to forestall importation of dangerous weapons.

The Commissioner of Police also warned that any person or group of persons with no lawful business in the state should stay clear as the full weight of the law would be visited on any erring persons.

A dusk to dawn curfew remains in Ekiti State following the recent violence attacks.

Ekiti Election Tribunal Adjourned As Thugs Beat Up Judge

Ayo FayoseThe inaugural sitting of Ekiti State election petition tribunal in Ado Ekiti was on Thursday disrupted as the meeting was invaded by some thugs, who beat up a judge, Justice John Adeyeye, and prevented journalists from performing their duties.

The tribunal was to begin proceedings on the petition filed by the All Progressives Congress (APC) challenging the victory of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Ayodele Fayose.

The tribunal panel, headed by Justice Mohamed Suraju, resumed the first inaugural sitting with the counsel to the petitioners led by Rotimi Akeredolu.

The sitting was, however, adjourned to October 14, 2014 following the debacle.

It took the intervention of the State Police Commissioner, Taiwo Lakanu, to rescue the chairman of the panel and his team from the court.

The Commissioner of Police has given assurances of the safety of the judges and smooth tribunal proceedings.

The Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Ibrahim Muhammad Siraj, has advised all counsels to warn their clients to allow them do their job.

We Are Being Terrorised By Thugs, Okada Riders Tell Oshiomhole

Commercial motorcyclists, also called Okada riders, in Edo State have cried out to the state government over extortion and intimidation by alleged thugs in Benin City.

The motorcyclists stormed the Edo State Government House seeking clarification on whether or not the individuals collecting monies from them were agents of the government.

The cyclists claimed that they were regularly assaulted and beaten by thugs who also confiscate their motor bikes and demand that they paid monies ranging from N1,500 to N3,500 into certain bank accounts before they could retrieve their bikes.
They also alleged that they were being forced by these persons to buy reflective vests from them at exorbitant prices.

The Chief of Staff of the Edo State Government, Patrick Obahiagbon who received the protesters said the state government did not subscribe to intimidation and was not involved in the said levies.

He promised to summon all the union members to resolve the controversy.