Boko Haram Kills Six Civilians In Borno – Army
Suspected Boko Haram terrorists foraging for food, ambushed troops of Operation Lafiya Dole escorting commercial vehicles from Damboa to Maiduguri, the Nigerian Army said.
The army added that five civilians lost their lives during the incident while another died on the way to the hospital.
A statement by the military on Monday said the mishap happened on Monday afternoon at Sanda general area of Borno State in northeast Nigeria.
The Army spokesman, Colonel Sani Usman, disclosed that three soldiers were injured and they have been evacuated to Maiduguri, the state’s capital.
He said that another robust patrol team had been consequently dispatched to reinforce the troops, clear the general area and pursue the terrorists.
More Vigilance And Cooperation
“This unfortunate incident has brought to the fore the need for more vigilance and cooperation amongst all.
“We would like to assure the public that we would not allow this isolated incident to thwart the peace and security commuters enjoy along the route and all other opened routes in the North East.
“Troops are on the heels of the attackers and would not relent till they are apprehended or killed.
“Additional security measures have also been placed to avert re-occurrence,” Usman stated.
Attack At Chibok
Meanwhile, the Theatre Command, Operation Lafiya Dole, has said that alleged suspected Boko Haram terrorists attack at Chibok was not correct.
“What happened was that, two persons were murdered at Kwamjilari village, (which is over 30 kilometres from Chibok and very close to Sambisa forest), by suspected remnants of Boko Haram terrorists looking for food.
“We wish to reiterate that they weren’t killed outside or near a church as being bandied around.
“The people from the said village are all in Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp in Chibok.
“Those who went back to the village without authorisation were moved back to Chibok two weeks ago,” Colonel Usman explained in a statement.
However, the army noted that those killed went back on their own contrary to security advice.
They said a patrol team had been sent from Chibok to the village on Monday morning.
The Nigerian Army assured the citizenry that adequate measures would be taken to ensure no one goes back to the village in the meantime.