ICRC Evacuate Victims After Deadly Boko Haram Attack On Monguno

ICRC Surgeons attending to victims from the attack.

 

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) on Thursday evacuated ten persons who were injured following a Boko Haram attack on Monguno Local Government Area of Borno State.

ICRC’s Head of Delegation, Eloi Fillion told Channels Television that five of the patients were evacuated by air, the other five were taken to Maiduguri, the state capital by road.

She added that ICRC surgeons are currently operating the most critically wounded from the attack, adding that, “I am always heartbroken to see women and children among the patients.

“Civilians pay the price of the conflict much too often.”

ICRC medical officers attending to more victims from the attack.

The insurgents had earlier on Tuesday attempted to invade Moguno but were repelled by Nigerian troops who engaged them in gunfire.

According to local sources, the insurgents were successfully repelled after the arrival of re-enforcement with casualties on both sides. Some civilians were also caught up in the gunfire and injured.

Monguno has continued to be targeted for attacks by the insurgents, with the abduction of two female aid workers in an attack a few days to the Christmas celebration.

The military is yet to give details of the attack, but the ICRC said it is already administering treatments on civilians caught in the crossfire.

Operation Rattle Snake 2: NAF Destroys Terrorists’ Hideout In Borno

 

 

A military operation codenamed rattlesnake, targeting insurgents in the northeast is claiming yet another strike against the terrorists.

The air task force (ATF) of Operation Lafiya Dole, says it has destroyed some facilities at an Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) hideout at Kusuma on the fringes of the lake chad.

According to the Nigerian air force spokesman, air commodore Ibikunle Daramola, intelligence reports had indicated that a cluster of compounds within the settlement was being used to house some ISWAP leaders along with their supplies.

After confirmatory intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance, the ATF deployed its attack aircraft to engage the location, leading to the destruction of the designated structures.

The Air Force adds that it will sustain its air campaign in concert with ground troops, towards the effective conduct of further joint operations against insurgents.

Gamboru Explosion: Nine Killed, 26 Injured, Says SEMA

Air Force Officer Dismissed For Raping 14-Year-Old IDP

 

Contrary to figures making the rounds, the Borno state emergency management agency has confirmed that nine persons were killed in an explosion on a crowded bridge at Gamboru Ngala, a border town with Cameroun.

According to the state chairperson of the agency Yabawa Kolo the casualty figure comes from the situation report received from camp officials in Gamboru, while those injured are being taken care of.

Borno SEMA’s figure has also been corroborated by Cameroon’s far north regional governor, Midjiyawa Bakary, who offered clarification on the explosion on the El-Beid bridge at the crowded Gamboru market on Monday.

While rejecting the figure of 30 people killed as earlier reported, he also dismissed reports that it was a suicide attack by Boko haram.

He says the explosion was an accidental detonation of a grenade by children who had been playing with the explosive device.

Police Mourn Officers Killed By Boko Haram In Borno

 

 

The Borno State Command of the Nigerian Police Force is mourning the loss of three of its personnel during an encounter with the Boko Haram militants.

The personnel who were men of the Special Anti Robbery Squad fell after a fierce battle with the insurgents in Kundori village of Konduga local government.

The SARS commander in Borno State Ibrahim Mohammed, a CSP, broke the news on his verified social media handle (Facebook).

“Yesterday 6th Jan 2020 at about 10:30 AM, SARS team on forwarding operation base at Kundori village, Konduga LG along Maiduguri/Damaturu highway came under heavy attack by Boko haram insurgents armed with five gun trucks.

READ ALSO: ICC Lists Nigeria For Possible War Crime Cases 

“After a fierce battle, we lost the above great fighters who have made the squad and the Nigeria police command proud in previous encounters. We pray that Almighty God in His infinite mercy grants them eternal peace in paradise.”

The Commander stated while sharing their published obituary pictures.

Monday’s attack on the Maiduguri-Damaturu highway had caused many travelers to be stranded with the Theatre Commander Operation Lafiya Dole Major General Olusegun Adeniyi running into an ambush late evening of the same day along the same route.

ICC Lists Nigeria For Possible War Crime Cases 

 

 

As Nigeria continues to defend its territorial integrity against terrorist groups, the office of the prosecutor of the international criminal court (ICC) has outlined 10 possible cases it could press against Nigerian security forces and the three factions of insurgent groups operating under the popular name of Boko Haram.

The ICC prosecutor listed Nigeria among 11 countries being probed for alleged war and international human rights crimes in its end of the year report on preliminary examination activities.

Nigeria is among those in phase three of the investigation stages dealing with admissibility, which is the last stage before the conclusion of investigation under the ICC processes.

READ ALSO: Presidency Urges Nigerians To Ignore Message Of Division By Terrorists

The report, dated December the 5th, 2019, explained that the office of the prosecutor has examined information regarding a wide range of crimes allegedly committed in Nigeria, since 2010.

According to the international prosecutor, Boko haram and its leaders, may have to answer for “targeted attacks against the civilian population; abductions and imprisonment of civilians;among others.

Other cases being investigated alongside that of Nigeria include those in Venezuela, Colombia, Guinea, Iraq/UK, Palestine, Republic of Philippines, Ukraine and Bangladesh/Myanmar.

Presidency Urges Nigerians To Ignore Message Of Division By Terrorists

A file photo of President Muhammadu Buhari.

 

The Federal Government has asked Nigerians to continually remain united in their opposition to Boko Haram and the hatred for decency that the infamous group stands for.

The Presidency in a statement by Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, however, assured that the security forces will continually work to ensure that those taken hostage by the insurgents will be returned safely to their families.

READ ALSO: Third Term Agenda: Buhari Has The Courage To Refuse Such A Temptation – Tinubu

He added that the government has condemned some recent acts of terror, stressing that the motives by the insurgents to portray a message of religion only hinges on the fact that they want Nigerians to see their beliefs as a reason to turn against one another.

“The security forces of Nigeria are working continuously to return those taken hostage by Boko Haram to their families, friends and communities. In doing this, the government has full confidence in their ability to accomplish the task.

“On its own part, the government has condemned some of the appalling acts of terror, especially following the festive period.  Yet, to continue to see these happenings solely in religious terms – removed from social, economic and environmental factors – simplifies complexities that must be heeded.  Not seeing them as they should be is exactly what the terrorists and groups wish: they want Nigerians to see their beliefs as a reason to turn against one another.

“On the contrary, Christians and Muslims alike are united in their opposition to Boko Haram and the hatred for decency that the infamous group stands for,” he added.

Mr Shehu restated that the Federal Government will never tolerate religious intolerance, and will continually show support for the freedom to practice whichever belief they wish.

He added that “Nigerians must continue to be united in ensuring that they do not subscribe to the terrorists’ message of division.

“Unfortunately, some leaders and politicians seek to make political capital from our religious differences.  As we fight Boko Haram on the ground, so too must we tackle their beliefs: stability and unity in face of their hatred is itself a rejection of their worldview.”

Abducted CAN Official Speaks Out, Calls On Govt To Intervene

 

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) Chairman in Michika Local Government Area of Adamawa State who was abducted last week by Boko Haram elements has spoken out from the den of his abductors.

In a video released over the weekend, Rev Lawan Andimi was seen appealing to the state government to intervene and secure his release.

The abducted Rev, however, declared that if it’s the will of God that he would not get out of captivity, the government should help him look after his children.

He also called on his fellow pastors to impress on the authorities to secure his release.

Read Also: Troops Repel Boko Haram Attack In Adamawa

The insurgents had stormed the community on Thursday, January 2, to carry out their attacks but were repelled by soldiers and vigilantes before they could do much damage.

They, however, succeeded in whisking the reverend away.

VIDEO: Buratai Dares Insurgents, Climbs ‘Dreaded’ Gwoza Hills In Borno

The Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai recently climbed the dreaded Gwoza hill in Borno State, an enclave notorious for habiting Boko Haram terrorists.

In a gesture that appears to be daring the terrorists in their hideout, as well as shoring up the people’s confidence in the military, Buratai climbed the hills in the symbolic defeat of the insurgents.

READ ALSO: Borno Governor Confirms Six Killed After Boko Haram Attacked Chibok

Buratai after climbing the hills assured the people of Gwoza that areas, where the insurgents hibernate, have been identified.

He vowed that the army will ramp up operations to clear them out.

This action by the Chief of Army Staff follows the outcry of Borno residents who believe Boko Haram insurgents are lurking around the mountain.

Gwoza was liberated from the hands of insurgents in March 2015 after serving as the caliphate of the insurgents for many months.

Nearly five years after, indigenes are still unable to settle down to their normal lives and livelihood with the fear that Boko Haram insurgents can fire missiles from behind the mountain into the town.

Chad Troops Leave Nigeria After Boko Haram Mission

File photo

 

Chad’s months-long mission fighting Boko Haram in Nigeria has ended and its 1,200-strong force has been withdrawn, an army spokesman told AFP on Saturday.

“It’s our troops who went to aid Nigerian soldiers months ago returning home. They have finished their mission,” spokesman Colonel Azem Bermandoa told AFP. “None of our soldiers remains in Nigeria,” he added, without specifying whether they might be replaced following Friday’s pullout.

“Those who have come back will return to their sector at Lake Chad,” Bermandoa said.

However, Chad’s general chief of staff General Tahir Erda Tahiro said that if countries in the region which have contributed to a multinational anti-jihadist force were in agreement, more troops will likely be sent in.

“If the states around Lake Chad agree on a new mission there will surely be another contingent redeployed on the ground,” Tahiro told AFP.

Boko Haram began the insurrection in Nigeria a decade ago, leading to at least 35,000 deaths with violence spilling over into Chad, Niger and Cameroon.

A Boko Haram faction aligned with Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) jihadists is highly active around Lake Chad where the group has training bases on the Niger border and regularly carries out raids on military bases and regional security forces.

Last month saw 14 people killed with 13 more listed as missing after an attack on a fishing village in western Chad.

Countries in the region have banded together to fight Boko Haram and ISWAP with support from civilian defence committees leading to Chad contributing 1,200 troops.

Those troops have now pulled back across the border to be “deployed in the Lake Chad region to strengthen security along the border,” a senior local official told AFP.

Cameroon says it is battling an upsurge in Boko Haram attacks and, according to an Amnesty International report published last month 275 people, including 225 civilians, were killed there last year.

PHOTOS: Four Terrorists Killed, Gun Truck And Weapons Recovered In Michika Attack

 

Four Boko Haram terrorists have been killed after the sect invaded Michika, the administrative headquarters of Michika Local Government Area of Adamawa State.

Gallant troops of the Nigerian army countered the insurgent’s attack, killing four, recovering a gun truck and other weapons.

Below are some photos from the area where the fierce battle between the insurgents and men of the Nigerian Army took place.

READ ALSO: Police Arrest Two Armed Herders, 25 Others In Benue

 

Operation Rattle Snake 2: NAF Combat Helicopters Destroy Boko Haram Facility In Borno

 

 

The Air Task Force (ATF) of Operation LAFIYA DOLE has destroyed a Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs) logistics facility at Gujeri in the Sambisa Forest area of Borno State.

This feat according to the spokesman of the Nigerian Air Force, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, was achieved in night-time airstrikes executed on the 31st of December 2019.

Commodore Daramola said the operation was pursuant to series of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions that identified some makeshift structures under some trees in the settlement that were being used by the terrorists to store fuel and other items for the maintenance of their vehicles.

READ ALSO: Several Boko Haram Terrorists Killed, Camp Destroyed In Borno

He further noted that the ATF dispatched its combat helicopters to attack the location recording devastating hits in the target area resulting in the destruction of the storage facilities as well as other structures in the camp.

The NAF spokesman assured that the Force operating in concert with surface forces will sustain its efforts to completely destroy all remnants of the terrorists in the Northeast.

Troops Repel Boko Haram Attack In Adamawa

25 Feared Killed As Boko Haram Attacks Adamawa Village

 

Troops of the Nigerian military have repelled an attack by suspected Boko Haram insurgents in Michika local government area of Adamawa State.

The insurgents had stormed Kopa and Wurogayadi in the outskirts of Shuwa at about 7:00 pm, resulting in a stampede and residents scamper for safety.

They attempted to enter Michika causing residents to flee towards Uba town while others took refuge in nearby mountains.

According to a community leader and one-time Chairman of Michika local government, Stephen Maduwa, military fighter jets were promptly drafted to the area and aircraft gunshots were heard by residents as the attackers were forced to retreat through Lassa, a community near the Sambisa Forest.

READ ALSO: Court Orders Detention Of Former AGF Adoke For Another 14 Days

Security personnel including the local vigilantes were quickly mobilised and repelled the attack and secure the communities.

Confirming the security breach to Channels Television, the Police Public Relations Officer, Adamawa State Command, DSP Suleiman Nguroje said the Police have deployed its personnel to the area and everything is under control.

He, however, said the Command is yet to receive any report of casualties from the DPO in Michika.

He confirmed that the situation has been brought under control while appealing to the people to remain calm.