Floods: NIHSA Blames State Govts, Developers For Ignoring Warnings

Nigeria Hydrological Services Agency (NIHSA) on Monday blamed state governments, estate developers and other individuals for floods which have recently plagued different parts of the country.

Director-General of the agency, Clement Nze, in an interview on Channels Television breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, said state governments and agencies have repeatedly failed to set up measures but only resort to ‘fire brigade approach’ when flooding eventually occurs.

READ ALSO: Ondo Varsity Final-Year Student Swept Away By Flood

“The response to our predictions in terms of taking precautionary measures have not been quite pleasant. It is only when the disaster has occurred that people will now be taking the fire brigade approach.

“State governments, individuals, estate developers have not taken heed to our predictions. If they have done so we won’t be witnessing what is happening today. Response to our predictions are not encouraging,” he lamented.

NIHASA DG, Clement Nze

 

When questioned on roles played by the NIHSA to curb flooding following their predictions, Nze said the role of his agency is to merely advise and not enforce.

He added that ministries involved in enforcing measures that can prevent flooding are however engaged when flood alerts are issued.

“Whatever we do, we bring in different authorities that are in charge of enforcement. Ministry of urban planning, regional planning, environment, and others, are pre-informed.

“It is their role to implement. We are not an enforcement agency.”

Nze also blamed flooding on poor urban planning, and lack of drainages.

He warned that states located within the coastal region need to put up extra measures to prevent flooding concluding that “Coastal flooding will occur from time to time in places like Lagos, Ondo, and Bayelsa.

NIHSA earlier this year issued flood alert warning Nigerians of imminent increased flooding.

The hydrological agency predicted that no fewer than 74 Local Government Areas (LGA) in 30 states in Nigeria would experience severe flooding in June, July, August, and September.

They also warned that 279 local government areas would experience minimum flooding across the country in the period.

Gunmen Kill Man, Kidnap Father And Two Children In Abuja

Chief Imam’s Son, Two Others Kidnapped In Ogun Community

 

Gunmen have killed one person and abducted three others in the Kuje Area of Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

The attackers were said to have stormed Dafara community on Wednesday night and in the process, killed a local vigilante official and abducted a security officer and his two children.

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Command confirmed the incident in a statement on Thursday by its Public Relations Officer, Mr Anjuguri Manzah.

According to Manzah, the police have already begun a joint counter-operation against latest kidnapping in Abuja and its environs.

“The joint operation comprising the police and other security agencies is also being extended to other identified black spots within the Federal Capital Territory.

“The operation is aimed at rescuing hostages, arresting the suspects and permanently checkmating the emerging security concerns especially around Kuje-Robuchi axis,” the statement said.

The Command’s spokesman added that the security agencies were working assiduously to rescue the victims and urged residents to be calm and support the ongoing operation with useful information.

He gave assurance that the police would not relent in their efforts until the activities of the hoodlums and other crimes were permanently checked.

Manzah said further steps were also being made to engage relevant stakeholders in various communities as part of a renewed effort to check such crime.

Gunmen Kill Man, Kidnap Father And Two Children In Abuja

Chief Imam’s Son, Two Others Kidnapped In Ogun Community

 

Gunmen have killed one person and abducted three others in the Kuje Area of Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

The attackers were said to have stormed Dafara community on Wednesday night and in the process, killed a local vigilante official and abducted a security officer and his two children.

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Command confirmed the incident in a statement on Thursday by its Public Relations Officer, Mr Anjuguri Manzah.
According to Manzah, the police have already begun a joint counter-operation against latest kidnapping in Abuja and its environs.

“The joint operation comprising the police and other security agencies is also being extended to other identified black spots within the Federal Capital Territory.

“The operation is aimed at rescuing hostages, arresting the suspects and permanently checkmating the emerging security concerns especially around Kuje-Robuchi axis,” the statement said.

The Command’s spokesman added that the security agencies were working assiduously to rescue the victims and urged residents to be calm and support the ongoing operation with useful information.

He gave assurance that the police would not relent in their efforts until the activities of the hoodlums and other crimes were permanently checked.

Manzah said further steps were also being made to engage relevant stakeholders in various communities as part of renewed efforts to check such crime.

Buhari, 10 Governors And Ministers Depart Abuja For South Africa

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has departed Abuja for South Africa on a 3-day official visit. 

The three-day trip which comes against the background of recent xenophobic attacks will see both leaders discuss the welfare of Nigerians in the country, and find common grounds for building harmonious relations with their hosts.

While in South Africa, President Buhari will also hold a town hall meeting with Nigerians living in the country, with a view to sharing in their experiences and reassuring them of the government’s commitment to protecting their lives and property and promoting peaceful co-existence.

He will also preside over the South Africa/Nigeria Bi-National Commission along with his host, during which a progress report will be presented.

At the end of the meeting, both leaders will sign a joint communiqué.

The President and his delegation including Nigerian business representatives will also participate at a South Africa-Nigeria Business Forum with their host counterparts.

PHOTOS: Buhari Returns To Abuja

President Muhammadu Buhari returns to Abuja

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has returned to Abuja, the nation’s capital after participating at the 74th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York.

The presidential aircraft carrying the president, his aides and some members of his entourage landed at the presidential wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja, on Saturday morning

See Photos Below:

Abuja Is Not Under Any Form Of Siege – IGP

A file photo of IGP Mohammed Adamu. PHOTO: Channels TV/ Sodiq Adelakun

 

The Inspector General of Police, IGP M.A Adamu, NPM,mni has stated unequivocally that the Federal Capital Territory is safe, secure and not under any form of siege.

This assertion comes against the backdrop of recent speculations in some sections of the media, particularly the Social Media, of an upsurge in crime rate within and around the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.

READ ALSO: FUOYE Killings: Fayemi Directs Commissioner of Police To Commence Investigation

While observing that, like other climes across the World, the country has its security challenges, the IGP noted that a comprehensive analysis of crime statistics on major cities across the world would reveal that Abuja has one of the lowest crime rates and remains indisputably one of the safest capital cities in the world.

The IGP further observes that the Federal Capital Territory Police Command has a robust anti-crime architecture which is continually rejigged to effectively tackle prevailing and emerging crimes.

He however enjoined all law-abiding citizens and visitors alike to go about their lawful endeavors without any fear or apprehension.

ICRC President Meets With Buhari In Abuja

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has met with the President of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Peter Maurer, at the state house, Abuja.

During the meeting, both leaders discussed issues of security and humanitarian support for victims of insurgency.

Read Also: Presidential Election Tribunal Fixes Sept 11 To Rule On Petition Filed By Atiku

While Maurer promised that the Red Cross will continue to support humanitarian services and the effort to reunite families, he also stated that he is encouraged by the positive response of the federal government.

On the release of Leah Sharibu and other abductees still in captivity, the ICRC boss said the agency will continue to keep communications channels open between all parties involved and work towards their release.

FG Debunks Reports Of Explosion At SA High Commission In Abuja

 

The Federal Government has debunked the report being circulated on the social media of a bomb explosion at the South African High Commission in Abuja on Saturday, calling the report fake news orchestrated by the desperate opposition to cause panic and chaos among the populace.

In a statement issued in Abuja on Saturday, the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, said the video of the purported bomb explosion, which is being circulated on the social media, is that of the bomb explosion at Emab Plaza, near Banex, in Abuja on June 25 2014.

The Minister said it is now apparent that the desperate opposition has decided to use fake news and disinformation as handy tools in their
avowed determination to make Nigeria ungovernable, having lost woefully at the polls.

”A pattern is emerging of the antics of the desperate opposition to latch on to the use of fake news and disinformation as a strategy to trigger chaos in the country. On Friday (6 Sept 2019), they doctored and circulated the video of my appearance on Channels Television in January 2015 (when I was the spokesman of the APC) to make it look like I was begging Nigerians to forgive President Buhari for not
having a school certificate. Worse still, they posted the video afresh, giving the impression it happened last Thursday and that I acted in my capacity as Minister of Information and Culture.

”Unfortunately for them, this doctored video came out on the same day a report emerged that the PDP had sent lawyers and party agents to the University of Cambridge to confirm the authenticity of the President’s West African school certificate, only to be stunned to discover that not only did the President write the examination, he also passed.

”One would have expected a party that trumpets its belief in the rule of law, a party that challenged the result of the last presidential election in court, to wait patiently for the impending judgement on the issue instead of engaging in underhand tactics and resorting to self help,” he said.

Alhaji Mohammed appealed to Nigerians to be very discerning at this
time, and to check the veracity of any information they receive.

”This is just the beginning. Nigerians should expect an explosion of fake news and disinformation in the days and weeks ahead. This is because the desperation of this opposition is alarming. But their strategy will fail, just like every other dubious strategy that they have been employing in their desperate bid to grab power,” he said.

The Minister warned those behind the orchestrated fake news and
disinformation campaign to stop forthwith or be made to face the
music.

EFCC Recovers N423m, $39,253, €2,330 Between January And August

You Can't Be Fighting Corruption And Be Corrupt – EFCC Boss
File photo: Ibrahim Magu

 

The Abuja Zonal Office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has recovered the sum of N423 million, $39,253 and €2,330 between January and August 2019.

Acting Chairman of the Commission, Ibrahim Magu who was represented by the Head of the Abuja Office, Aminu Ado Aliyu, disclosed this at a press briefing on Tuesday.

According to Aliyu, the zone has been focusing on cybercrime through intelligence gathering and collaboration with other agencies across the world.

“Prior to the release of the FBI list, we had in collaboration with the FBI, cases under investigation of which two suspects indicted in the list released by the FBI are in our custody.

“On the other hand, another suspect on the list is being investigated independently on a different case and his case is pending arraignment,” he said.

He further explained that the suspects, Chika Augustine and Godspower Nwachukwu, were arrested in Abuja and $35,000 was recovered from one of them (Chika Augustine).

The Zonal Head also disclosed that 33 convictions have been secured from January 2019 till date; 293 arrests have made and over 465 cases are currently under investigation.

He further warned that the modus operandi of the cybercriminals include, and are not limited to love scams, e-mail phishing, identity theft and fraudulent bitcoin and crypto currency sales, and therefore, cautioned the public to be more vigilant.

Specifically, he warned against the prevalence of fraudulent Bitcoin sales which he says has been on the rise.

Protesters Burn Tyres As Police Prevent Attack On Shoprite In Abuja

Protesters angered over xenophobic attack on Nigerians in South Africa went violent on Tuesday as they burnt tyres on the street of Abuja.

This follows police presence at the entrance of Shoprite, which prevented the protesters from attacking the South African owned firm located.

Angry protesters went wild as they burnt tyres on the airport road in Abuja and harassed commuters.

RELATED:

Police Beef Up Security At Abuja Mall Amid Anger Over Xenophobia

Xenophobia: Don’t Attack South African Businesses, Nigerian Govt Urges Citizens

The protesters also dared the police to fire at them as they disperse them with teargas.

More policemen later arrived the scene, as well as the federal fire service to put out the fire.

 

See more photos from the protest below:

 

PHOTOS: Sodiq Adelakun