44-Year-Old Pastor Arrested For Raping Daughter

Photo of Pastor, Oluwafemi Oyebola who raped his daughter.

 

The Police in Ogun State says it has arrested a 44-year-old man, Oluwafemi Oyebola, for raping his biological daughter.

Oyebola who is said to be a pastor of the Christ Apostolic Church, Ogo Oluwa Parish in Obafemi Owode Local Government Area of the state, was arrested following a complaint by the daughter who reported at Owode-Egbado divisional headquarters that her father had been forcefully having carnal knowledge of her since 2015.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said that the 19-year-old reported that shortly after the demise of her mother, she got pregnant for her father three times and he allegedly took her to a nurse where the pregnancies were aborted.

“After the third abortion, the suspect did family planning for her so as not to get pregnant any longer,” the PPRO said.

“Having realised that her father is all out to ruin her life, she ran away from the house and reported to an NGO – Advocacy For Children And Vulnerable Persons Network – consequent upon which she was taken to Owode-Egbado police station for complaint.

“Upon the report, the Divisional Police Officer, Owode-Egbado division, Superintendent of Police, Olabisi Elebute led her detectives to the pastor’s house where he was promptly arrested.

“On interrogation, the suspect made a confessional statement that all his daughter said is nothing but the whole truth,” the PPRO said.

The state Commissioner of Police, CP Kenneth Ebrimson, has now ordered the immediate transfer of the suspect to the Anti-Human Trafficking and Child Labour Unit of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department for further investigation and prosecution.

Former Panama Presidents Charged With Money Laundering

Former Panama president Ricardo Martinelli is surrounded by reporters as he arrives at the Prosecutor’s office in Panama City, on July 2, 2020 amid the COVID-19 novel coronavirus pandemic. – Panama’s former president Ricardo Martinelli must face corruption charges just eight months after he was acquitted of spying on political foes, one of his lawyers said on Wednesday. According to local media, Martinelli has been linked to the so-called “New Business” case in which an editorial group was allegedly bought using public money during his 2009-14 term as president. (Photo by MAURICIO VALENZUELA / AFP)

 

 

Panama’s last two presidents, Ricardo Martinelli and Juan Carlos Varela, were charged Thursday with money laundering, as two separate scandals tarnished the political legacy of the former allies turned enemies.

Martinelli was charged with money laundering over the so-called “New Business” case in which a publishing group was allegedly purchased with government funds during his 2009-14 term.

Martinelli, 68, was in a combative mood as he departed the public prosecutor’s office in Panama City.

“I’m going to be frank with you, this pisses me off, this political persecution that has no end… they want to involve me (in the case) in order to do away with me,” he said, after refusing to testify.

Martinelli was held in pre-trial detention for two years after he was extradited from the United States to face trial for spying on his political foes. He was acquitted on those charges in 2019.

Varela meanwhile “was charged with money laundering in the Odebrecht case,” the public prosecutor’s office told AFP.

The 56-year-old former president is being investigated for allegedly accepting illegal donations to his political campaigns from Brazilian construction giant Odebrecht.

Varela, who left office last year, said afterward that he would “come as many times as necessary to prove my innocence, clarify any questions that the public prosecutor has and comply with the country and strengthen the rule of law.”

The appearance of the two former presidents “could mean, if there is any optimism, that… no one is above the law,” Carlos Barsallo, head of the Panamanian office of Transparency International, told AFP.

But “being realistic and prudent and based on previous experiences, we have to wait and see real and definitive results because in Panama, the perception of impunity has prevailed,” he said.

Martinelli won the 2009 election with Varela as his running mate, but their alliance broke down in 2011 when Varela was sacked as foreign minister.

Since then, the two former political allies have become enemies.

 

 

-AFP

Two Arrested Over Demolition Of Nigeria Building In Ghana

The staff quarters of the Nigerian High Commission in Ghana said to have been demolished by a businessman.

 

Two persons have been charged following their arrest over the demolition of the Nigerian high commission building in Accra, the capital of Ghana.

According to a press release from the Criminal Investigation Department in that country, the suspects are being charged with conspiracy to commit crime, namely: unlawful entry and causing unlawful damage contrary to the Criminal and other Offences Act 1960.

The statement noted that the suspects were arrested on Monday, June 22 and will be arraigned before a court of law.

Earlier, President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana formally apologised to President Muhammadu Buhari in a telephone call over the incident, promising full investigation into the matter.

The Ghana leader assured President Buhari that he has directed a full investigation into the matter, assuring that justice will be served.

READ ALSO: Ghana President Calls Buhari, Apologises Over Demolition Of Nigerian Mission

It will be recalled that a businessman who claimed ownership of the land housing the Nigerian mission reportedly moved with security personnel to demolish some portion of the staff quarters.

Although the demolition took place on Friday, the man was said to have shown up the previous week with some pieces of evidence to support his claim and began to knock down the fence surrounding the building.

A source at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs told Channels Television that the action of the man was not opposed, adding that the Nigerian High Commission petitioned the Ghanaian Government about it, but there was no response.

Following the incident, many Nigerians including the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila have condemned the action.

Reps Threaten To Issue Warrant Of Arrest On Telecom Operators

Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, and others at the lower chamber of the National Assembly in Abuja on March 10, 2020. Photo: Twitter- @HouseNGR

 

The House of Representatives has threatened to arrest telecommunications operators in the country for failing to appear before the Committee on Finance.

During plenary on Thursday, the Chairman of the Committee, James Faleke had expressed frustration over the failure of 15 telecoms operators to honour the invitation by the House.

READ ALSO: US Approves Chloroquine To Treat Coronavirus – Trump

According to him, their non-appearance was frustrating the investigation by the committee on the alleged $30bn annual leakages in the sector due to tax evasion and diversion of foreign exchange by companies.

Reacting to Faleke’s motion, Speaker of the House, Femi Gbajabiamila, said if the telecom operators fail to appear within seven days, the house will issue a warrant for their arrest.

“We will not sit down and accept for the House of Representatives or the National Assembly as a whole to be handicapped because some companies particularly the foreign companies are sitting down somewhere.

“I am sure if MTN was summoned by the South African parliament, they will rush to the parliament. But now you are being summoned by the Nigerian parliament where you do business and you say you cannot show up.

“We will not allow these organisations to bring our democracy to its knees. So I will ask that the Chairman of the Committee issues one more final notice and this serves as notice as well.

“And if in seven days, you do not hear from them, kick-start the process. I will arrest whoever needs to be arrested and compel their attendance at the hearing,” Gbajabiamila said.

Police Arrest 17 Suspects For Cultism, Violence In Lagos

Some of the suspects arrested by the police.

 

 

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested 17 suspects for cultism and violence in the Ijora Badia and Ikorodu areas of the state.

A statement on Sunday by the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Bala Elkana, revealed that the suspects were arrested in batches of five and 12.

Elkana explained that two rival cult groups armed with dangerous weapons engaged themselves in a battle for supremacy at Iso Isu in Ijora Badia and inflicted various degrees of injuries on each other on Friday last week.

He said the police got a distress call and mobilised police operatives from Ijora Badia Division and Special Strike Force on Social Miscreants from the Command Headquarters to the area where five suspects were arrested.

READ ALSO: El-Zakzaky, Wife Unfit To Stand Trial, Court Rules

The suspects are Olaniyi  Abiodun, Emola Kamal, Muritala Gbadeyanka, Kadiri Bashorun, and Adebayo Ebiesuwa, all between ages 18 and 28 years.

“They belong to Aiye and Eiye confraternities,” Elkana said.

Similarly, suspected members of the two cult groups attacked each other on Sunday at Ladega area in Ikorodu where one Lateef Akinpelu was seriously injured.

The police arrested 12 suspects and recovered a locally made pistol while the injured person was taken to General Hospital in Ikorodu for treatment.

US Calls On Iran To Apologize For Arresting UK Ambassador

 

 

The United States called Saturday on Iran to apologize for detaining the British ambassador to Tehran, reportedly during protests against the regime.

“This violates the Vienna Convention, which the regime has a notorious history of violating. We call on the regime to formally apologize to the UK for violating his rights and to respect the rights of all diplomats,” State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus tweeted.

Man Arrested For Beating Wife To Death In Abeokuta

Police Arrest Fleeing Suspect Accused Of Killing Co-Worker In Lagos
File photo

 

 

The Ogun State Police Command says it has arrested a 37-year-old man, Mutiu Sonola, for beating his wife, Zainab Shotayo, to death.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mr Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed this in a statement forwarded to Channels Television on Thursday.

He explained that the suspect was arrested on Wednesday following a complaint lodged by the father of the deceased at a police station in Abeokuta, the state capital.

“The father of the deceased complained at Ibara Division that he was called on the phone that his daughter was having a misunderstanding with her husband and that she has been beaten to coma by the husband.

“He stated further that he quickly raced to the scene and rushed her daughter to the General Hospital, Ijaye where the doctor confirmed her dead,” Oyeyemi said.

He disclosed that as soon as the suspect realised that his 34-year-old wife was dead, he took to his heels.

On the strength of the report, the Divisional Police Officer in Ibara, Dada Olusegun, was said to have mobilised operatives and went after the suspect.

“His hiding place was eventually located and he was promptly arrested,” the command’s spokesman said, adding, “Preliminary investigation revealed that the man is fond of beating the deceased at any slight provocation and that the incident of that fateful day was a very minor disagreement.”

He noted that the body of the victim has been deposited at the morgue for autopsy.

The Commissioner of Police in Ogun, Kenneth Ebrimson, has also ordered the immediate transfer of the suspect to the Homicide Section of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department for further investigation and prosecution.

Police Arrest Rep Member Shina Peller In Lagos

A file photo of House of Representatives member, Shina Peller. Photo: Twitter- @ShinaPeller

 

 

The lawmaker representing Iseyin/Itesiwaju/Kajola/Iwajowa Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Shina Peller, has been arrested.

The Press Secretary in the lawmaker’s office, Kola Popoola, confirmed this in a statement on Monday.

Popoola explained that Peller was arrested and detained at a police station in the Maroko area of Lagos State.

 

A file photo of House of Representatives member, Shina Peller, during plenary at the National Assembly in Abuja. Photo: Twitter- @ShinaPeller

 

 

Peller’s aide claimed that his boss was “unjustly held hostage” at the police station and demanded that he should be released immediately.

According to him, the lawmaker who owns Club Quilox was at Maroko police station to bail some of his clients said to have parked on the road during a show at the club.

Prior to the kick-off of the event, Popoola claimed that Peller had informed the relevant traffic authorities in the state to avoid unnecessary gridlock.

“On getting to Maroko police station, the police started harassing Honourable Peller and even went as far as seizing all his phones for no reason,” the statement said.

It added, “The continuous harassment and unjust detain of a member of House of Representatives, Hon. Peller, by the police calls for urgent attention of the media and the Inspector General of Police.”

Court Invasion: If I Were Buhari, I Will Sack DSS Boss – Ubani

A former second Vice President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Mr. Monday Ubani, has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to sack the Director-General of the Department of State Service (DSS), Yusuf Magaji Bichi.

Ubani’s comments come on the heels of the invasion of the Federal High Court in Abuja by operatives of the commission while trying to rearrest the Convener of the ‘Revolution Now’ Protest, Omoyele Sowore.

Speaking during an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today, the legal practitioner noted that the tragic incident has caused embarrassment to the current administration.

“If I am the President of the country and DSS throws my government into this embarrassment, I will even remove the DSS, whoever is in charge of that particular body.

“He (President Buhari) should relieve him (the DSS boss) of his position. He has really, clearly embarrassed this government,” he said.

A former second Vice President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Mr Monday Ubani condemns the invasion of the Federal High Court in Abuja by operatives of the commission while trying to arrest the Convener of the ‘Revolution Now’ Protest, Omoyele Sowore.

Speaking further, Ubani who is also a public affairs analyst, regretted that the action of the secret service has portrayed Nigeria in the negative light within the international community.

READ ALSO: Sowore: Never In Nigerian Democracy Has A Judge Been Treated With Such Disdain – Atiku

The ex-NBA chief explained that “what has taken place today is reported all over the world and Google doesn’t forget,” also stressed that foreign partners who may want to do business with the Nigerian government may backtrack based on the nation’s non-adherence to the rule of law.

“We are really in a big economic problem and will require the support of other nations in order to solve it. They look at your history and what is going on with respect to the rule of law and even democratic credentials, you don’t have it. Then they begin to wonder what is going on,” he said.

The unfortunate invasion of the court by DSS operatives has attracted condemnation from prominent Nigerians including Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, among others.

Atiku who described the incident as a rape of the sanctity of the court said the act is unacceptable, stressing that Nigeria is not a dictatorship.

He noted with dismay that he was in extreme anguish of spirit having watched the unfortunate drama that played itself out at the court today.

Two Suspects Arrested For Illegal Broadcast In Uyo

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested two persons for alleged illegal transmission of broadcast signals of MultiChoice (DSTV) to Uyo, the Akwa Ibom state capital and environs without authorisation.

Those arrested by operatives of the EFCC Uyo Zonal office on Monday were one Prisca Isaac and Nwosu Precious

According to tweets from the EFCC, both suspects sales representative and technician of a company in the area, Communication Trend Limited.

“The company allegedly charges Three Thousand Five Hundred Naira (N3, 500.00) and Seven Thousand Five Hundred Naira (N7, 500.00) monthly as subscription fees to its customers using DSTV and other decoders without permission,” one of the tweets said.

Daura Torture House: 67 Minors, Teenagers, Others Found In Chains – Police

The arrest followed a petition alleging breach of Multichoice’s English Premiership broadcast rights while some decoders, encoders, and transmitters were recovered.

The anti-graft agency said the suspects would be charged to court upon the conclusion of its investigation.

Read the tweets below:

23-Year-Old Man Arrested For Slicing Step Mother’s Throat In Nasarawa

Gunmen Kill 15, Injure 11 In Nasarawa Village Attack

 

The police in Nasarawa State has arrested a 23-year-old man for slicing the throat of his step-mother in Agyaragu village, Lafia Local government Area of Nasarawa State.

The Public Relations Officer of the Nasarawa State Police Command, ASP Ramhan Nansel, confirmed the incident to Channels Television.

According to him, the incident happened on stressing that he stabbed the elderly woman with a knife.

But narrating what happened, an eyewitness who confided to Channels Television said the suspect borrowed a knife and cut the woman on the leg who forcefully ran out of their house shouting for help.

The victim who was rushed to the hospital was confirmed dead, a situation which prompted the mother of the alleged suspect to run away for safety after the children of the deceased planned avenging her death.

Suspected Gunman In Deadly Germany Shooting Arrested

A special unit of the police examines on October 9, 2019 on a road in Werschen, eastern Germany, a taxi that was involved in the case of a shooting in Halle an der Saale, eastern Germany./ AFP

 

The suspected gunman in a deadly shooting Tuesday in Germany’s Halle city has been detained, police said. 

“The suspect has been arrested,” a police spokesman told AFP, adding that the man was “being treated” for injuries.