The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Sunday Abutu, confirmed the release of Ajayi to Channels Television on Monday.
He explained that the businessman was also released by his captors as a result of the sustained collaboration between the police team, as well as Amotekun and local hunters in the area.
Abutu gave an assurance that the police command in Ekiti would not fail in its statutory duty of protecting the lives and properties of the people of the state.
Ajayi and the other person were riding in a Lexus Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) along the Isan-Iludun Ekiti Road on Friday last week before they were accosted by armed men who abducted them in the process.
Gunmen have abducted two men in Oye Local Government Area of Ekiti State, south-west Nigeria.
The Police Public Relations Officer in Ekiti, Sunday Abutu, disclosed this in a statement on Friday.
He explained that the victims were riding in a Lexus Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) along the Isan-Iludun Ekiti Road on Christmas Day before they were accosted by armed men who abducted them in the process.
Abutu confirmed that one of the victims was later rescued by the police, in collaboration with the officials of the Amotekun security outfit, as well as some vigilantes and village hunters.
“On 25/12/2020 at about 1800hrs, a distress call was received by Oye DPO that some unknown gunmen forcefully stopped one Lexus Jeep along Isan/Iludun Ekiti road and kidnapped the two occupants.
“Upon receipt of the information, the DPO led his team to the scene with the assistance of the Amotekun corp, the vigilantes and the village hunters, one of the victims was rescued while serious effort is ongoing to ensure the rescue of the other victim,” the statement said.
In his reaction, the Commissioner of Police in Ekiti, Tunde Mobayo, called on the residents to be calm following the incident.
He also appealed to persons with useful information about the incident or other criminal activities to contact the nearest police station or call 08062335577.
A Baptist Church cleric in Ikere Ekiti, Oladimeji Gbolagade, has been reportedly shot dead by unidentified gunmen while in transit to the town from a neighboring state.
The President of Ekiti Baptist Church, Reverend Adeyinka Aribasoye in a telephone conversion with Channels Television said the deceased was found dead on the road close to Ikere in his personal car Friday Morning.
The senior clergy explained that report had reached him on Thursday that the deceased could not be found after embarking on an intended return journey.
It is not yet clear what triggered the gunshots, which also left another person injured.
The policeman and his other colleague reportedly dumped the victim’s corpse at the Ekiti State Teaching Hospital before escaping and leaving the Hilux at the hospital premises.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the State, Sunday Abutu confirmed to Channels Television that the officer, who only followed his principal to the state has been arrested, and an investigation is in progress to unravel the reason for the shooting.
On Sunday, friends of the victim thronged the Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital where the survivor was taken and the palace of the Ewi of Ado Ekiti demanding justice and an end to the misuse of firearms.
The Ekiti State government has lifted the curfew imposed on the state with effect from 6am on Sunday.
Mr Akin Omole, the Commissioner for Information and Values Orientation in the state, announced this in a statement on Saturday.
He explained that the decision to lift the curfew was taken after an assessment of the security situation and the restoration of relative peace in the state.
According to him, the state governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, also approved the lifting of the restrictions placed on religious gatherings during the coronavirus pandemic with effect from tomorrow.
“While churches and mosques are now free to open for worship without restrictions, worshippers are advised to continue adhering with the COVID-19 protocol, which includes wearing face-masks, maintaining social distancing, and proper hand-washing or hand-sanitising before joining respective congregations,” the statement said.
Omole asked the residents to remain law-abiding and go about their lawful businesses without fear of molestation.
He gave an assurance that the government would leave no stone unturned towards ensuring the safety of the lives and property of the people in the state.
The commissioner, however, advised the people to be vigilant and promptly report suspicious movement to relevant authorities.
The Ekiti State Government has directed workers on Grade Levels 02 – 07 in the State Public Service who been away from office since March 23, 2020, to resume work.
A statement by the Head of Service, Peju Babafemi, says the state government has reviewed the steps taken in containing the virus, including the provision of equipment and materials to prevent the spread in our offices.
“The Governor, His Excellency, Dr Kayode Fayemi, has therefore directed all workers on Grade Levels 02- 07, hitherto at home to resume work with effect from Monday, November 2, 2020.
“It is noteworthy that despite the stay at home order and the limited resources available to government, Ekiti State Government has continued to demonstrate an unflinching commitment to workers’ wellbeing and career development.
“I urge all the workers to show more dedication to duty in ensuring effective service delivery to Ekiti people as they resume.
“All Accounting Officers should provide the necessary support for their staff and ensure compliance with all COVID-19 protocols in the various Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs)”.
Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State has named retired Justice Cornelius Akintayo and retired Police Commissioner, Mr. Dipo Ayeni, as members of the Judicial Panel of Inquiry to probe into the allegations of human rights violations leveled against police officers in the state.
This decision was contained in a statement signed by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Yinka Oyebide.
Other members of the panel are: Mrs. Yetunde Kolawole, State Counsel- Representing the Honourable Attorney-General & Commissioner for Justice,
Mrs. Kikelomo Owolabi, Chairperson, Nigerian Bar Association, Ikere-Ekiti Branch and Mr. Rotimi Ojomoyela, Chair, Nigerian Union of Journalists, Ekiti State Branch.
Others include: Mr. Jamiu Abiodun Adigun, Representative, National Human Rights Commission, Mr. Adeyinka Opaleke, Representative, Legal Aid Council of Nigeria , Ms. Caroline Fakinlede, Ekiti State Youths Representative, Mr. Abiola Johnson-Ogunleye- Ekiti State Students Representative and Mr. Akin Rotimi, Researcher, Police Reforms
According to Governor Fayemi, the terms of reference of the Judicial Panel include; to receive and investigate complaints of Police brutality or related extra-judicial killings; receive and Investigate complaints of violence against individuals and destruction of properties in every part of Ekiti State in the course of the protest.
“It will also evaluate the evidence presented and other surrounding circumstances, and draw conclusions as to the validity of the complaints; and Recommend compensation and other remedial measures, where appropriate”.
Fayemi said the duration of the assignment of the panel will be six months, with the Chairman expected to provide monthly briefings to the Honourable Attorney- General and Commissioner for Justice to further enhance the speedy consideration of all complaints.
” In order to enable the panel to respond appropriately to the urgent needs of victims of rights violations, the Governor has established a Victims Compensation Fund to enable the speedy payment of monetary compensation to deserving victims.
The communique also revealed that the governor has further directed the Ministry of Justice to immediately ensure that its Department of Citizens Rights in addition to receiving walk-in complaints by victims of Human Rights violation is able to receive and to process and resolve complaints by telephone or social media channels.
The Ekiti State Police Command has declared one Samuel Omotoyinbo wanted following the recent bank robbery that took place in Iyin Ekiti last week.
This was disclosed in a statement issued on Tuesday by the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Abutu Sunday.
According to the statement, the police authorities called on anyone with a clue that could lead to his arrest to notify the nearest police station.
Omotoyinbo with the nicknames Badoo and Eleven (11) was first declared wanted by the state Police Command some three weeks back for similar allegations.
EKITI STATE POLICE COMMAND
The Ekiti State Police Command wishes to inform the general public that one Omotoyinbo Samuel has again been declared wanted by the Nigeria Police. He is suspected to have led the gang of armed Robbers who recently attacked the branch of WEMA Bank in Iyin-Ekiti.
Our Investigation so far has revealed how Omotoyinbo Samuel actively participated in the Bank robbery as mastermind and other robberies, kidnapping and murder incidents in Ekiti State and Ondo State.
His real name is Omotoyinbo Samuel but popularly called ELEVEN(11) in Ekiti State and BADO in Ondo State. He is an indigene of iyin Ekiti, Ekiti State where the recent bank robbery incident took place.
The Command implores any person with useful information that could lead to his arrest to please contact the nearest Police Station or the SARS Department on 07031620186 or the PPRO on 09064050086.
A staff of Ekiti West Local Government in Ekiti State has been shot dead by unknown gunmen.
Confirming the incident to Channels Television on Sunday, the Police Public Relations Officer in the State, Sunday Abutu said that the corpse of deceased who is also a Pastor was found at his farm in a forest located along Aramoko-Ijero Ekiti.
The Police PPRO said the identity of his killer(s) is still unknown, adding that investigation is ongoing for possible detection and apprehension of the perpetrators.
This comes three weeks after a director with the Local Government Service Commission in the state, Mr David Jejelowo, was murdered.
Jejelowo was killed at his residence in Igirigiri, Ado Ekiti in the early hours of September 14.
The deceased, Jejelowo was a victim of abduction with his driver in January 2019 along Ado-Ijan road while returning from a trip although he later regained his freedom.
Meanwhile, the police spokesman also gave an update on the bank robbery that happened in Iyin Ekiti on Friday.
According to him, the State Police has recovered three vehicles with some Improvised Explosive Device(IEDs), some wraps of Indian hemp, alcoholic drinks and two handsets result from its manhunt of the criminals.
He also reiterated the commitment of the Force to arrest the perpetrators of the attack to serve as a deterrent to others.
Gunmen on Friday attacked a new generation bank in Iyin Ekiti area of Ekiti State.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the State, Sunday Abutu, confirmed the incident to Channels Television via a phone call.
He said no casualty has been confirmed, adding that the police team is working to launch a manhunt for the criminal gang.
Sources said the armed robbers, numbering close to 10, carted away large sums of money after blowing up the security door to gain access.
Residents of the town and travellers in transit reportedly scampered for safety following the sporadic gunshots that accompanied the arrival of the gang.
The operation was said to have lasted for at least 40 minutes without any police interruption, raising questions about the absence of security operatives despite the presence of a police station in the town and the nearness of other police stations in bordering towns.
Just a few days ago, the State Police Command had asked residents to be cautious, warning of the presence of suspected armed hoodlums planning to cause panic.
The police authorities, however, gave the assurance that the Force is committed to saving lives and properties.