Another Tanker Explosion Leaves Many Critically Injured In Lagos

 

Residents of the Iju-Ishaga area of Lagos were on Thursday afternoon sent into a panic as a rancorous explosion rocked the neighborhood.

What started out as a wet and rather calm day quickly turned into a frenzy at about 3:30 pm when a loaded gas tanker exploded around the Iju Hill axis of Ajuwon road.

Some witnesses say at least one person died in the blast that comes at a moment when the nation is trying to come to terms with a similar carnage that left almost 30 including students, dead in Lokoja.

The incident in Lagos left 16 persons critically injured, while scores of buildings and many cars were destroyed, some beyond repair.

A Damaged Tanker?

Speaking to Channels Television on Thursday at the site of the explosion, LASEMA’s Director of Operations, Engr Olatunde Akinsanya said the 16 injured persons were taken to the Iju Water Works clinic.

Akinsanya revealed that the ill-fated 30 ton LPG tanker which was being operated by Manna Gas Ltd, was supposed to offload its content at a gas station, but the station’s owner reportedly refused to allow him because a seal had been broken, indicating that the content had been tampered with.

Enraged by the refusal of the station manager to offload the content in his tanker, the driver moved out of the premises.

A few meters away from the gas station, the front tire of the tanker burst and the gearbox compartment struck the ground causing a spark that led to an explosion when it came in contact with gas that was leaking from the tanker.

The vehicle ended in a ditch, where a second explosion erupted.

Eyewitnesses told Channels Television that the second explosion sent the tanker flying and destroying buildings in its path, including a church.

The impact of the explosion spread about 300 radii from the scene of the incident, the LASEMA official said.

It was not yet clear at the time of reporting this story whether the driver of the tanker was still alive as he seemed to have sustained third-degree burns.

“I would have died with my children”

Narrating her close shave with death, Mrs. Maduka Lovelyn, a fruit seller said she had just returned from the market and was arranging her wares when the first blast erupted.

Mrs. Maduka and her kids were tending to customers when they saw a thick cloud of smoke rising a few meters from where her stall is situated.

The perturbed mother said she and her children were lucky to have escaped because they fled at the first cry of “fire! fire!” by some other residents who were closer to the blast spot.

“We were scared as we saw the smoke, it was too much,” Mrs. Maduka stressed as she revealed how it took a race through marsh and mud to get her family to safety.

Increasing casualty figures

Earlier in the day, the Lagos State Government had put the casualty figure at 16, however, a post-disaster assessment late on Thursday revealed that the total number of casualties is 30, consisting of 10 adult females and 20 adult males.

The report further shows that two of the 16 in critical conditions have been referred to the General Hospital in Ikeja.

LASEMA figures suggest that a total of 23 buildings were destroyed in the blast, while 15 vehicles were left with varying degrees of dents.

Prominent among the buildings destroyed are the X and Y Event Center and the Idera Oluwa Plank Market where 15 shanty shops were engulfed.

A tragedy, one too many

The fires stirred by the explosion have been extinguished and damping down has being carried out, but many questions trailing this incident are yet to be answered.

One such question is what should be done or is being done to ensure that there is no repeat of such an ugly incident, as Nigerians have witnessed such a horror too many times, with some happening in quick successions.

Thursday’s explosion comes just a few hours after 23 persons were killed following a tanker explosion at the Felele axis of Lokoja the Kogi State capital.

Over five vehicles were completely burnt in the road crash and eyewitnesses say some of the victims include students of Kogi Polytechnic.

The accident occurred after a truck laden with Premium Motor Spirit lost control following a brake failure and rammed into five other oncoming vehicles.

Eyewitnesses say over 50 people may have been killed in the blaze, including some residents who were waiting to board commercial vehicles by the roadside.

Reacting to the explosion, the Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello, expressed shock and sorrow.

“It is very sad to learn of the tragic loss of lives, many vehicles, property and other valuables in the petrol tanker fire,” he said.

Two-day mourning was declared in honour of the victims of the tanker explosion, but the masses ask for more to be done.

As with several incidents of this nature, many become emotional, sometimes tempers run wild and people blame the government.

Often, promises are made with assurances that the root causes of these accidents will be looked into, and the people can only hope that in no distant time, words will be matched with action, to ensure that such disasters are averted.

PHOTOS: Lagos Tanker Explosion Leaves Carnage Behind

Photos by Sodiq Adelakun.

 

The Lagos gas tanker explosion on Thursday left carnage in its wake.

Residents were left aghast as the explosion rocked buildings to their very foundations, destroying some houses and leaving several vehicles damaged, some beyond repair.

There were fears that at least one person had died and several others critically injured following in the blast which occurred at the Iju Ishaga area.

Channels Television’s Sodiq Adelakun was at Ajuwon where the explosion took place, and he captured the devastation left behind by the blast.

Viewer discretion is advised due to injury photos.

READ ALSO: At Least 16 Persons Critically Injured As Gas Tanker Explodes In Lagos

 

 

 

 

 

Seven Killed, Others Injured In Delta Tanker Explosion

 

Seven persons were burnt to death with several others injured after a tanker exploded in Delta State.

The tanker said to be carrying petroleum product exploded at the Koko Junction section of the Benin/Sapele Expressway in Ethiope West Local Government Area of the state.

Channels Television learned the incident which occurred at about 11 am on Wednesday had several people burnt beyond recognition.

READ ALSO: President Buhari To Visit Crisis-Hit Mali On Peace Mission Tomorrow

Confirming the incident, the spokesman of the State Police Command, Onome Onovwakpoyeya said several vehicles also burnt to ashes.

Meanwhile, the injured have been  taken to a nearby  hospital for treatment

Tanker Explodes In Abuja, Injures One

The scene of the explosion in Abuja, the nation’s capital.

 

One person has been reported injured when a tanker went up in flames on the Airport road in the nation’s capital.

According to officials, two other persons escaped without injuries.

The tanker, which was conveying petrol, was heading towards the city centre before the incident.

Officers of the Federal Fire Service, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NCDC, the Police and the Federal Road Safety Corp were able to put out the fire.

The affected lane was also blocked until the area was certified free for movement.

The tanker was later cleared off the road, to prevent any accident.

However, none of the officials wants to speak on camera.

Tanker Explosion Kills Two In Bauchi

 

Two people have lost their lives in Azare town in Bauchi state as a result of a petrol tanker explosion. 

Eyewitnesses say the tanker had offloaded its content and was on its way out of the town when an electric cable fell on it resulting in the explosion which claimed 2 lives.

Confirming the incident to Channels Television, the Bauchi state police public relations officer Ahmad Wakil says 2 other persons including the tanker driver sustained injuries although the driver’s injury was mild and has since been discharged from the hospital.

PHOTOS: Petrol Tanker Fire Kills One, Injures Two In Imo

A scene of the tanker fire incident in Imo State on February 13, 2020.

 

 

A tanker fully loaded with Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) also known as petrol has gutted fire in Imo State.

The incident occurred on Thursday along Owerri-Aba Expressway, a few kilometres from the Imo Airport.

One person was killed and two others critically injured as a result of the inferno.

An eyewitness told Channels Television at the scene of the incident that the accident occurred after the petrol tanker rammed into the road demarcation.

He said this triggered the fire and, in the process, the driver of the tanker died as he struggled to escape.

Shortly after the inferno, men of the Imo State Fire Service arrived at the scene to put out the fire.

Addressing reporters at the scene, the Director of Fire Service in Imo State, Japhate Okoereafor, said they got to know about the incident following a distress call.

He added that he immediately ordered and dispatched firefighters to the scene and requested a backup from the Airport Fire Service.

See photos below:

Ogun Tanker Fire: Two Persons Killed, 17 Vehicles Burnt

File photo used to illustrate the story.

 

Two persons have been killed and six others injured after a tanker containing premium motor spirit fell and spilled its content at the old tollgate, in the Sanford area of Ogun state.

The fire also left about seventeen vehicles burnt.

READ ALSO: Two Dead, Six Injured As Fuel Tanker Explodes On Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway

According to the Federal Road Safety Corps, the incident was caused by a mechanical fault leading to the ill-fated trailer skidding off the road and bursting into flames.

The state governor Dapo Abiodun who went to assess the scene of the incident commiserated with families of the victims and promised to offset the medical bills of those who sustained injuries from the inferno.

Vehicles Burnt As Petrol Tanker Goes Ablaze In Lagos

 

Danger was averted on Monday in the Baruwa, Ipaja area of Lagos state after a petrol tanker went up in flames following activities of suspected vandals.

The fire which was put out by men of the fire service was said to have been caused by the activities of pipeline vandals.

According to eyewitness report, the suspected oil thieves came with eight petrol tankers, seven successfully escaped with the product but the last one caught fire when it cut an electricity supply cable which led to the burning of two other vehicles.

Though no lives were lost, the vandals are said to have taken to their heels on sighting security personnel.

READ ALSO: Sanwo-Olu Sympathises With Oko Baba Fire Victims, Promises Relief

 

Death Toll From Tanzania Tanker Explosion Hits 100

 

A Tanzanian security officer controls the area where the carcass of a burnt out fuel tanker is seen along the side of the road following an explosion on August 10, 2019, AFP

 

The death toll from a fuel truck explosion in Tanzania on August 10 hit 100 on Wednesday after several victims perished from severe burns.

Aminiel Aligaesha, a spokesman for the National Hospital in Dar es Salaam, told reporters “two people died on Tuesday during the day, and another on Tuesday night”, bringing the total number of dead to 100.

Officials had put the tally at 95 on Sunday, and another two people were announced dead on Monday.

At least 30 of the victims died in the days after the accident, in which a fireball engulfed a crowd thronging to collect petrol from an overturned tanker near Morogoro, 200 kilometres (125 miles) west of Dar es Salaam.

Officials said the explosion was triggered when a man tried to take the truck’s battery, creating sparks that ignited the fuel.

A doctor at the hospital, speaking on condition of anonymity, told AFP that most of those who survived the initial blast had suffered burns on over 80 per cent of their body.

“We are doing our best, but most of them are in critical condition,” said the doctor.

Many of the victims are motorbike taxi drivers who rushed to the scene to try to siphon off leaking petrol.

It was the latest in a string of such disasters in Africa and at least the third this year.

Last month, 45 people were killed and more than 100 injured in central Nigeria when a petrol tanker crashed and then exploded as people tried to take the fuel.

In May, a similar incident in Niger killed nearly 80 people.

In the worst tragedy, 292 people lost their lives in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo in July 2010, while in September 2015 at least 203 people died the South Sudan town of Maridi.

AFP

US Issues Warrant For Seizure Of Iranian Tanker In Gibraltar

Man Bags 15 Years In Prison For N5.2m Fraud

 

The US Justice Department issued a warrant Friday for the seizure of the Iranian oil supertanker Grace 1, one day after a Gibraltar judge allowed the release of the detained vessel.

The Justice Department alleged the ship was part of a scheme “to unlawfully access the US financial system to support illicit shipments to Syria from Iran by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps,” which the US has designated a foreign terrorist organization.

The warrant says the vessel, which remained anchored in the British Mediterranean territory late Friday, and all the oil aboard are subject to forfeiture based on violations of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, as well as bank fraud, money laundering, and terrorism statutes.

It also ordered the seizure of $995,000 in an account at an unnamed US bank associated with Paradise Global Trading LLC, which it called a shell company associated with businesses which act for the Revolutionary Guards.

There was no immediate word from Britain or Gibraltar over whether they would act on the warrant, as Iran said it was sending a new crew to pilot the tanker and its 2.1 million barrels of oil.

Ship Released On Thursday

On Thursday a Gibraltar judge ordered the release of the Grace 1, six weeks after it was detained on suspicion of violating international sanctions on Syria, the alleged planned recipient of the crude oil it was carrying.

The judge rejected a last-minute legal move by Washington demanding that the ship remain detained.

The July 4 seizure came amid surging tensions in the Gulf after several alleged Iranian attacks on smaller tankers.

The US — citing Tehran’s threat to American allies — expanded its military presence in the region with a new aircraft carrier task force, missile batteries and strategic bombers.

Iran called the detention of the Grace 1 an “illegal interception” staged by the United States, while Washington cheered it as “excellent news.”

Tehran and Washington have been at loggerheads since US President Donald Trump withdrew last year from a landmark 2015 nuclear deal between major powers and Iran, reimposing crippling unilateral sanctions.

In the wake of Grace 1’s detention, on July 19 Iran seized the British-flagged tanker Stena Impero in the Strait of Hormuz.

Tehran said the ship was in violation of “international maritime rules,” but the move was widely seen as retaliation for the Grace 1.

Ship To Get New Crew

Thursday’s release of the Grace 1 came after Gibraltar’s government said it had received written assurances from Iran that the ship would not be headed for countries “subject to European Union sanctions.”

“We have deprived the Assad regime in Syria of more than $140 million worth of crude oil,” Gibraltar chief minister Fabian Picardo said.

The US-issued seizure warrant would require Britain to decide whether to act again to detain the vessel, and it was not clear if that would happen.

Earlier Friday, Iranian officials said the tanker was preparing to set sail under an Iranian flag and would be renamed the Adrian Darya for the voyage.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted that the US attempt at “piracy” had failed, saying it showed Washington’s “contempt for the law.”

But according to an AFP source, the ship was awaiting the arrival of a new Iranian crew before it would leave Gibraltar. The original captain and crew were Indian nationals.

On Thursday the US State Department threated to issue a visa ban on anyone working on the ship.

Iran Denies Giving ‘Assurances’

Iran denied Friday it had made any promises about the ship’s destination to secure the release, saying Gibraltar was only seeking to “save face.”

“Iran has given no assurances over the Grace 1 not going to Syria to secure its release,” a state media website quoted foreign ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi as saying.

“The tanker’s destination was not Syria… and even if it was, it did not concern anyone else.”

Normalcy Restored In Ogun After Tanker Accident

FRSC To Prosecute Hit And Run Driver For Murder

 

The Mack truck laden with Petroleum Motor Spirit (PMS) which killed one person and injured eight others along the Sango corridor of the Lagos/Abeokuta expressway in Ogun state has been towed off the road.

The tanker lost control as a result of brake failure and rammed into a sports utility vehicle and a motorcycle.

RELATED: Petrol Tanker Kills One, Injures Eight In Ogun

According to the route commander of the Ogun state S3 for of the FRSC, Mrs Florence Okpe, the content was successfully transloaded into another truck.

She added that the earlier gridlock around the Jojo area of the road has also been cleared.

“The earlier reported obstruction caused by the crashed tanker laden with PMS, around Jujo on Abeokuta – Otta route, has been successfully towed off the road, after transloading to another Truck and traffic gridlock, has been brought under control.

“Even though traffic on both sections of the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway is heavy, FRSC personnel, other traffic and emergency agencies are still on the ground managing the traffic situation.”

She asked for the cooperation of motorists with traffic and emergency agencies, as they try to clear the backlog of traffic.

“Motorists are enjoined to cooperate with the FRSC and sister traffic and emergency agencies working to restore the free flow of traffic.”

Iran’s Seizure Of Two Ships ‘Unacceptable’, Says UK

 

Britain on Friday said Iran had seized two ships in the Gulf, with Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt condemning the incidents as “unacceptable” and saying he was “extremely concerned”.

“I’m extremely concerned by the seizure of two naval vessels by Iranian authorities in the Strait of Hormuz,” he said in a statement. “These seizures are unacceptable.”

Britain confirmed that one of the boats seized was British registered.

The other was Liberian-flagged, but reported to be owned by British company Norbulk Shipping.

The government was to hold an emergency ministerial meeting later on Friday “to review what we know and what we can do to swiftly secure the release of the two vessels”, Hunt said.

READ ALSO: Iran Guards Say They Confiscated British Tanker In Strait Of Hormuz

Britain’s ambassador in Tehran was in contact with Iranian authorities “to resolve the situation”, he added.

The government said it did not believe any British citizens were on board either ship, but called on Iran to let them go.

“It is essential that freedom of navigation is maintained and that all ships can move safely and freely in the region,” said Hunt.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards announced earlier Friday they had confiscated the British tanker Stena Impero, owned by Swedish shipping giant Stena Bulk, for breaking “international maritime rules”.

Liberian-flagged tanker Mesdar, owned by British company Norbulk Shipping, was then reported to have been seized after deviating sharply from its course in the same stretch of water.

AFP