51 Feared Dead In Dikwa Suicide Attack

Channels Television
Updated February 10, 2016

Suicide-bomberAt least 51 people died in a suicide bomb attack in Dikwa, a local council in Borno State, villagers say.

Seventy-eight injured persons have also been evacuated to Maiduguri, the capital city for treatment.

A mass burial has already been conducted for the deceased victims, mostly women and children.

Dikwa, 80 kilometres from Maiduguri, once occupied by the Boko Haram terrorists, was declared liberated by the Nigerian Army since July last year.

“In A War Zone”

Witnesses say two suicide bombers infiltrated the camp unnoticed and detonated their explosives while breakfast was being served on Tuesday morning.

One of the survivors, Mustapha Ali, narrated the ordeal to Channels Television.

He said: “Between 6:00am to 7:00am [local time] when people were trying to line up for breakfast an explosive went off. In the ensuing confusion another blast went off again. We do not have control over our movement only the government decides where we stay but we wish they would relocate us to Maiduguri because we are in a war zone. Even though we are surrounded by soldiers”.

The Chairman of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Ahmed Satomi, said the army had gotten hold of the third culprit who was making confessions already.

Although SEMA is silent about the actual number of deaths, villagers, who took part in the mass burial, say 51 persons were buried in Dikwa.

The Operation Lafiya Dole has declined comments on the incidence.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Boko Haram terrorist group is the prime suspect. The group had carried out similar attacks in the region in the past.

The group is attempting to establish an Islamic State in the region and end Western Education.

At least 51,000 Internally Displaced Persons are living in Dikwa.