Policeman, Civilian Killed As Robbers Attack Bullion Van Again In Ondo

A file photo of a man carrying a gun.

 

Dare-devil armed robbers have attacked another bullion van on the outskirts of Ondo State along the Lagos-Ore expressway.

The robbers were said to have opened fire on the bullion van at about 1pm on Wednesday, while on its way to Araromi-Obu in Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo from Edo State.

The Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo, Funmilayo Odunlami, confirmed the incident to Channels Television via a telephone conversation.

She stated that the robbers killed two persons – a policeman attached to the van and the driver of the vehicle.

Odunlami added that two other policemen on the team sustained gunshot injuries and were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

She disclosed that the remains of the policeman and the driver killed have been deposited at a mortuary in the state.

The command’s spokesperson also confirmed that the robbers succeeded in carting away an unspecified amount of cash from the bullion van.

She said a detachment of policemen has been drafted to the area and the operatives were on the trail of the robbers.

Wednesday’s robbery comes a week after a bullion van was attacked at the Emure-Ile Junction along the Akure-Owo Highway.

A policeman was also shot during the incident which occurred on Wednesday last week, although the bullion van was not conveying any cash when it was attacked by robbers.

Several Feared Killed, Many Injured In Fresh Plateau Attack

 

 

Several persons were feared killed with many others injured after suspected herdsmen attacked Yelwa Zangam village, Zangam District in Jos North Local Government Area, Plateau State.

The attack which occurred on Tuesday night also left several houses burnt.

While there’s yet to be any official statement from security agencies, Channels Television observed on visiting the Plateau State Specialist Hospital, that there were no fewer than 16 corpses at the morgue while those injured were receiving treatment.

According to some sources, apart from the corpses that were moved to the morgue, there were many other casualties yet to be evacuated from the burnt houses.

This comes just days after the State Governor, Simon Lalong had imposed a curfew on Jos North, Bassa and Jos South Local Government areas following an attack on Rukuba Road in Jos North Local Government Area.

Twenty-three people – who were travelling from Bauchi en-route Jos to Ikare in Ondo State – were killed in the incident while 23 others were injured during the attack.

Nine Killed, Houses Razed In Fresh Attack On Kaduna Community

A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria's North-Central region.

 

At least nine people have been killed and several others injured as gunmen attacked Ungwan Dooh (Mado) village in Zangon Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

The gunmen invaded the village on Saturday night while the residents had gone to bed.

They began shooting sporadically, and in the process killed nine people, while one person sustained injuries.

Two houses were also burnt during the attack.

The state Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, who confirmed the attack in a statement on Sunday, said the assailants fled the community on sighting troops of Operation Safe Haven who responded to distress calls.

He further said that the troops rescued 12 persons who were fleeing from the attackers.

12 Killed, Six Injured As Bandits Attack Katsina Community

A file photo shows a man holding a rifle. AFP

 

Twelve persons have been killed, with six injured following an attack by bandits on the Duba community in Batsari Local Government Area of Katsina State.

Channels Television gathered that the hoodlums, numbering over 300 and armed with General Purpose Machine Guns and RPGs, attacked the community on Saturday night.

Police Public Relations Officer in the state, SP Gambo Isah confirmed the incident to Channels Television on Sunday via a telephone call.

He said the bandits had upon their arrival at the community started shooting sporadically into the air, after which they looted many shops and rustled some domestic animals belonging to the residents.

READ ALSO: NSCDC Arrests Motorcyclist Over Attempted Kidnap Of Students In Katsina

He revealed that a joint military, police, and air force operation is ongoing on how to deal with the situation, adding that investigation is in top gear with a view to arresting the perpetrators.

A resident of the area, Malam Aminu Batsari who was attending the burial of those killed during the incident also confirmed the attack.

He also explained that those wounded have already been taken to the hospital for treatment.

Batsari is close to the dreaded Rugu Forest, one of the ten frontline LGAs in Katsina where armed bandits have been carrying out their nefarious activities.

Banditry is common in Katsina and other states in the North-West region despite efforts by security agencies and reassurances from the government.

Plateau Attack: Gov Lalong Imposes Curfew On Three LGAs

A file photo of Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong.

 

 

 

Plateau State Governor Simon Lalong has imposed a curfew on Jos North, Bassa and Jos South Local Government Areas following Saturday’s attack on Rukuba Road in Jos North Local Government Area of the state.

Twenty-three people – who were travelling from Bauchi en-route Jos to Ikare in Ondo State – were killed in the incident. Twenty-three others were injured during the attack. While the injured are receiving treatment, 26 others were rescued unhurt.

The governor, in a statement he signed on Saturday, said the curfew became necessary to avoid an escalation of tension in the affected areas.

“In order to avoid further deterioration of the situation and to protect lives and properties of citizens, I have directed the imposition of curfew on Jos North, Bassa and Jos South Local Governments commencing 6pm to 6am from today, 14th August 2021,” the statement partly read.

“Having reviewed the reports and monitored the unfolding scenario, the Government is concerned about the persisting tensions and reported attempts by some persons to take the laws into their hands by threatening to attack individuals and private facilities, as well as public property.”

Suspects Arrested

Governor Lalong noted that so far, 20 suspects have been arrested, with security agencies conducting investigations to get to the bottom of the matter.

He explained that the curfew shall remain in place subject to further review by the State Security Council. Lalong advised residents of the state to abide by the directive to enable security personnel to maintain law and order in the affected areas and deal with those attempting to foment trouble.

RELATED: 25 Killed In Plateau Attack

“While I deeply sympathize with the families of those who lost their loved ones, and those injured in the unfortunate event, I call for calm and appeal to our citizens to avoid any action or utterances that will further inflame the situation.

“This is purely criminal conduct and should not be given any ethnic or religious colouration. Let us continue to be vigilant and be security conscious and do everything possible to sustain peace and security of the State,” the governor said.

‘Brazen And Wickedly’

Saturday’s attack has drawn condemnation from leaders across the country including President Muhammadu Buhari who described the incident as “brazen and wickedly”.

“With the evident preparedness of their attackers, it is clear this was a well-conceived and prearranged assault on a known target, location and religious persuasion of the travellers not an opportunist ambush,” presidential spokesperson, Garba Shehu, quoted the Nigerian leader as saying.

He also ordered security agencies to immediately swing into action and fish out the perpetrators.

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu on his part appealed to residents of the state not to take laws into their hands following the attack on indigenes of the state.
While he assured that the situation is under control, the Ondo leader urged the people to desist from making hasty generalisations.

Bandits Kill Abducted Farmers In Kaduna

A combination of file photos of the map of Kaduna State and a gun recovered from crime suspects.

 

 

Bandits have killed an unspecified number of farmers who were abducted in Buruku and Udaw‎a villages in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

The victims were kidnapped during an attack on the two communities over a month ago. Spokesman of the Kaduna State Command Mohammed Jalige confirmed the incident to Channels Television via a telephone call on Sunday.

Mr Jalige said the victims were kidnapped from their farms. He explained that the bodies of some of the victims were later discovered on Saturday.

READ ALSO: Nigerian Army Hands Over Another Chibok Schoolgirl To Zulum

Although Mr. Jalige did not confirm the number of casualties; reports suggest that at least eight of the farmers were killed.

He, however, noted that investigation is ongoing to ascertain the actual number of those killed while a manhunt of the bandits is also being intensified.

The affected areas, located along the Kaduna-Birnin Gwari Road, have  been a hotbed of banditry and kidnapping in Chikun Local Government.

Kidnapping for ransom and banditry have been rife in Kaduna and other north-western states in recent months despite the efforts of security agencies and reassurances from the government.

Hundreds of people have been killed or kidnapped by bandits in the state in the past months.

Nine Killed As Bandits Attack Sokoto Villages

Sokoto, usually referred to as Sokoto State to distinguish it from the city of Sokoto, is located in the extreme northwest of Nigeria, near to the confluence of the Sokoto River and the Rima River
Sokoto, usually referred to as Sokoto State to distinguish it from the city of Sokoto, is located in the extreme northwest of Nigeria, near to the confluence of the Sokoto River and the Rima River

 

Bandits have killed nine persons in an attack on Bejingo, Dantudu, and Tulutu villages in Birjin ward, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

An anonymous source in the local government told Channels Television that the assailants attacked the villages on Saturday, raiding houses.

Eight men and one woman were among those killed by the assailants. Several others were also injured during the incident.

The bandits also rustled an unspecified number of animals including sheep, goats, and cattle, forcing a number of villagers to flee their homes and take refuge with relations in neighbouring communities.

RELATED: Presidency Condemns ‘Brazen’ Attack On Travellers In Plateau

Police authorities in the state are yet to confirm the attack as the Police Public Relations Officer Muhammad Sadiq said he is yet to be briefed on the incident.

The victims have since been buried according to Islamic rites.

Sokoto, a state in Nigeria’s north-western region, has had its fair share of banditry and kidnapping for ransom.

Late last month, bandits killed two people and abducted over 60 travellers along the Sokoto-Gusau highway.

The bandits were wielding sophisticated weapons and blocked the road before kidnapping the passengers.

However, a bus driver and one passenger escaped unhurt.

In May, gunmen also killed 12 people in Illella Amarawa, Illela Local Government Area of the state.

Six Killed In Fresh Kaduna Attack

A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria's North-Central region.

 

No fewer than six people have been killed during separate attacks carried out by gunmen in four communities in Kauru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

A report from the Headquarters of Operation Safe Haven on Tuesday said the armed assailants invaded Kigom, Kikoba, Kishisho and Ungwa Magaji Magaji villages on Monday morning, and open fire on the locals, and in the process, killed six people.

In addition to the casualties, eight houses, farmlands and some other valuable property were burnt down by the gunmen.

They were said to have retreated from the area following the arrival of troops who engaged them in a gun battle.

According to the state Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, the military and other security agencies are working with the governments of Kaduna and Plateau States, towards containing the renewed cycle of violence in Kauru local government of Kaduna State and Bassa LGA of Plateau State respectively.

Meanwhile, Governor Nasir El-Rufai has condemned the attack, describing it as an action of depraved entities stripped of every shred of humanity.

The Governor while praying for the repose of the souls of the victims, also tasked security agencies working in the area to sustain thorough investigations into the incident.

Three Injured As Police Repel Attack On Divisional Headquarters In Kaduna

File photo of guns and a police crested vest.

 

Police operatives in Kaduna State have repelled an attack by bandits on the Maraban Jos Divisional Police Headquarters in Igabi Local Government Area of the state.

The incident occurred on Friday night when the bandits stormed the Divisional police headquarters in three Sharon utility vehicles and started shooting sporadically in order to gain access into the Divisional armoury.

They were, however, repelled by operatives on duty who engaged them in a fierce gun battle.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mohammed Jalige, confirmed the attack via a statement issued to Channels Television on Saturday.

READ ALSO: Police Rescue 11-Year-Old Boy From Kidnappers In Edo

He said the superior firepower of the police personnel during the gun duel with the bandits which lasted for some minutes, forced the bandits to retreat, with some of them escaping with fatal bullet wounds.

A police Inspector and two Special Constabulary personnel who sustained varying degrees of injuries during the attack are currently receiving medical treatment

However, Jalige explained that the operatives were able to secure the armoury, the entire station and other adjoining facilities at the Division, adding that investigation into the incident has since commenced using the available evidence recovered from the scene.

Meanwhile, the State Police Command, therefore, has directed all officers to ensure that proactive measures are emplaced to protect all police facilities in the state and forestall the repeat of the ugly incident.

At Least 20 Killed In DR Congo Clash

In this file photo taken on February 18, 2020 An Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC) soldier takes part in a foot patrol in the village of Manzalaho near Beni, following an attack allegedly perpetrated by members of the rebel group Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).
File photo of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC) troops taking part in a foot patrol in the village of Manzalaho near Beni, following an attack allegedly perpetrated by members of the rebel group Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).

 

At least 20 people have been killed in fighting between armed groups and troops in Democratic Republic of Congo troops eastern highlands, a military source said. 

In fighting on Saturday and Sunday between DR Congo troops and the Makanika-Twigwaneho-Ngumino coalition of armed groups, “the provisional toll is five soldiers killed, and on the enemy’s side there are 15 dead”, said Captain Dieudonne Kasereka, an army spokesman in eastern South Kivu region.

“Loyalists recaptured their positions in the center of Minembwe and its surroundings at around 10 am on Sunday.

Because of these clashes, “the population has dispersed in all directions”, he said, adding that people should now return as the “situation is under (the)  control” of the army.

“Ngomino elements were also ambushed in Lwiko (2 km from Minembwe),” a UN source told AFP, without confirming the figure of 15 assailants killed as given by the army.

The Hauts Plateaux region is the scene of a conflict between armed groups formed on a communal basis, notably Tutsi Congolese with distant Rwandan origins, the Banyamulenge, and other communities.

On Saturday, from 5:00 am to 5:00 pm (0300 to 1500 GMT), loud bangs were reported in the city of Minembwe and its surroundings, the attackers having approached “up to one km from the headquarters of the army before being repulsed”, according to the army.

“A UN source told AFP that senior FARDC officers had spent the night (Saturday to Sunday) in the base of the UN Mission in the DRC (Monusco).

On Sunday morning “fighting was still going on”, according to a FARDC officer who was answering a question from AFP while directing operations at the front.

The coalition “Twigwaneho” (self-defence) and “Ngumino” (We Stay Here in Kinyamulenge) is composed of members of the Banyamulenge community.

These armed groups were joined by Colonel Michel Rukundo Makanika who deserted the army in early 2020 with a group of soldiers.

NURTW Vice-Chairman Shot Dead In Lagos

A file photo of a man carrying a gun.

 

The Vice-Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Samuel Kayode, popularly known as Ekpo Kinkin, has been killed at the Agboju area of Lagos State.

Ekpo who was a member of the ruling All Progressives Congress was at a rally organised by the party at Oriade Local Development Area when the gunmen invaded the rally on Thursday and shot him dead.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, confirmed the incident to Channels Television.

Eyewitnesses said a gunshot was heard from the crowd outside while the meeting was on, forcing residents involved at the rally to scamper to safety.

When those inside the hall rushed to the scene, Kayode was found in the pool of his blood.

However, NURTW in Lagos State confirmed the incident to The Punch, noting that the deceased was trying to protect a fellow politician when he was killed.

“He was protecting a fellow politician, Wale Yusuf, from harassment when the gunmen shot him dead,” said Jimoh Buhari, the spokesman for the NURTW Chairman, Musiliu Akinsanya.

 

Insecurity: We Can’t Afford To Disappoint Nigerians – Buhari

File photo of President Muhammadu Buhari

 

President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday reiterated his administration’s resolve in tackle the numerous security challenges in the country, noting that the Federal Government cannot afford to disappoint Nigerians.

Buhari through his media aide, Garba Shehu, condemned the killing of 24 persons in Adamawa on Wednesday, and directed security officials to “redouble their efforts and respond to these security threats promptly and decisively.”

“We can’t afford to disappoint Nigerians that have entrusted their security in our hands,” he said while expressing sadness over the incident which claimed the lives of a vigilante leader and Village Head of Dabna, a village in Dugwaba, Hong Local Government Area of the state.

“This level of savagery, inhumanity and reckless disregard for the sanctity of life cannot go unpunished,” President Buhari said.

The President directed respective agencies under the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development to immediately assess losses in the community and send support.

He equally raised a high-powered delegation to visit the community to convey his sympathies to the families of victims and the government of the north-eastern state.

Gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram Terrorists had on Wednesday stormed Dabna, a farming community three kilometers away from Graha the hometown of the Secretary to the Federal Government, Boss Mustapha.

The community is said to have come under attack in the early hours of yesterday, with insurgents shooting sporadically and setting houses and shops ablaze.