COVID-19: FG Suspends Work In Enugu Airport Until Further Notice

 

The Federal Government has suspended work at the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu over the rising cases of coronavirus in the country.

The Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika stated this on Tuesday during a working visit to ascertain the level of work done.

According to him, the Easter deadline initially slated for the completion of the ongoing reconstruction work at the airport can longer be met.

READ ALSO: Enugu Airport To Be Reopened Before Easter – FG

Sirika noted that the suspension became necessary after the workers complained that they cannot continue to discharge their duties comfortably in the face of the pandemic thereby exposing themselves to the virus.

In a meeting that had in attendance Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), representative of the state government and the Southeast Governors Forum, the Minister noted that the job which he puts at over 93% completion will resume when the war against the pandemic is won.

Enugu Records Two Cases Of COVID-19

 

Enugu State has recorded two cases of the deadly coronavirus, the Nigeria Centre For Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed on Friday.

It is the first time the disease has shown up in Nigeria’s south-east region.

 

According to the Enugu State Ministry of Health, the patients voluntarily contacted the government on arrival from the United Kingdom (UK) and requested for the COVID-19 test.

“The Enugu State Government express her gratitude to these patients who reported to the Enugu State Ministry of Health following the announcement that all returnees from overseas in the last 14 days should report for evaluation,” the health ministry said in a statement signed by its Permanent Secretary, Dr. Ifeanyi Agujiobi.

“We still wish to encourage all those that returned recently from overseas to contact the Enugu State Public Health Department through these dedicated lines- 08182555550 or 09022333833

“We urge the general public not to panic as Health Personnel are already positioned to respond to the present situation even as all should observe high level of personal hygiene, maintain the social distance protocol and stay home.”

Earlier on Friday, the NCDC had reported the discovery of five new cases, three in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and two in Oyo state. No new case was reported in Lagos.

In total, 16 new cases were confirmed on Friday.

COVID-19: Commercial Buses Must Carry Two Passengers Per Seat In Enugu – Ugwuanyi

 

Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State has asked all public transport operators in the state to ensure that commercial buses carry only two passengers per seat to contain the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the state.

The governor also directed tricycle operators and city cabs not to carry more than two and three passengers respectively.

In a state broadcast to the people of the state on Tuesday, Ugwuanyi noted that the move is in line with his administration’s commitment to safeguarding the health of the people of the state.

“All public transport operators in the state are to observe the following rules on passenger conveyance in each instance: Keke – not more than two passengers, Commuter Buses – not more than two passengers per seat and City Cab – not more than three passengers,” he said.

While ordering the closure of all educational institutions in the state, the governor also ordered civil servants to work from their homes except those on essential duties.

Those not affected from this directive according to him include health workers, Forest Guards; Neighborhood Watch Personnel; staff of the water corporation, waste management operatives; Staff of the State Emergency Management Agency, the firefighters among others.

READ ALSO: Kano Govt Asks Workers To Stay At Home, Bans Public Transport

Speaking further, Ugwuanyi announced the suspension of all cultural and social gatherings including the following: marriage ceremonies; burial ceremonies; masquerade festivals; drinking bars; night Clubs; and all group sporting and recreational activities.

He also asked residents of the state to maintain social distancing protocol as advised by Nigerian Center for Disease Control (NCDC).

According to him, the exercise should be “observed during public religious worship as well as in restaurants and Eateries.”

Meanwhile, the government has released N330million for the state’s preparedness and response for any confirmed case of the virus.

Of the amount, N150million “is dedicated to purchasing of additional Ambulances and Incident vehicles; Personal Protective Equipment; upgrade of State Infectious Diseases Isolation Centre; training of Health Workers; advocacy and public enlightenment.”

Governor Ugwuanyi also thanked President Muhammadu Buhari’s response to the outbreak of the disease in the country.

Suspected Case Of Coronavirus Is Negative – Enugu Govt

Photo: NCDC

 

The suspected case of Coronavirus reported in Enugu State is negative.

This is according to the state government who said that the result from the test carried out at the Irua Specialist Hospital confirmed the status.

In a short statement by the permanent secretary,  in the State’s Ministry of Health, Dr Ifeanyi Agujiobi, the result was also corroborated by the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

READ ALSO: Update: At Least 17 Bodies Recovered, 25 Injured In Abule-Ado Pipeline Explosion

The suspected case, a female, was reportedly in the UK in the last five months but came to Enugu through Owerri on March the 11th to visit her son.

He called on the public to go about their normal business activities, and urged them to, however, remain alert and vigilant observing basic personal health hygiene.

Enugu Confirms Suspected Fresh Case Of COVID-19

This handout illustration image obtained February 27, 2020 courtesy of the National Institutes of Health taken with a scanning electron microscope shows SARS-CoV-2 (round blue objects) emerging from the surface of cells cultured in the lab, SARS-CoV-2, also known as 2019-nCoV, is the virus that causes COVID-19, the virus shown was isolated from a patient in the US. 
Handout / National Institutes of Health / AFP

 

Enugu state has reported a fresh suspected case of COVID-19.

This is confirmed in a statement from the permanent secretary in the state’s ministry of health, Dr Ifeanyi Agujiobi.

Dr Agujiobi says the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has been informed, while a sample has been collected and sent for investigations.

The suspected case, a female, has reportedly been in the UK in the last five months.

She came to Enugu through Owerri on march the 11th to visit her son.

Dr Agujiobi adds that the suspect is being monitored and the results awaited.

Ugwuanyi Seeks Strict Compliance Of Asset Declaration For Public Office Holders

 

Enugu State Governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi addresses participants at the Strict Compliance with Asset Declaration Workshop in Enugu state on March 14, 2020.

 

Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State has called for strict compliance of assets declaration and code of conduct for public office holders in the state.

The governor made this call on Saturday during a workshop organised by the state government in collaboration with the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) for holders of public offices.

He believes that that the full compliance with the provisions of all extant laws of the establishment at the beginning and end of the tenure of every public servant will help fight and nip corruption in the bud.

READ ALSO: Record 1.9m Register For UTME, As Exam Begins Today

“I, therefore, recommend that the bureau should utilize this programme at the four-year interval to promote the compliance of public officers with provisions of all extant laws on this subject matter with the beginning and end of their tenure,” he said.

Speaking further, the governor said his administration has taken up the issue of public officers declaring their assets before assuming office seriously.

Meanwhile the CCB Chairman, Professor Mohammed Isah commended the governor for his exceptional support and commitment to the rules of the agency.

He noted that most public office holders are scared of declaring their assets publicly, wondering why such should be the case.

“Public officers are very much afraid of declaring their assets. But there is nothing to fear about it. The more you declare your assets, the more you free yourself from unnecessary suspicion,” he said.

VIRAL VIDEO: Police Officers Arrested After Beating Up Bus Passenger, Confiscating His Phone In Enugu

 

Three police officers have been arrested after assaulting one Justice Obasi in a viral video in Enugu.

In the video, the officers were seen hitting Mr. Obasi severally after he allegedly refused to unlock his mobile phone.

The video was posted on twitter and it got the reaction of the Nigeria Police Force who assured that the officers will be identified and the incident will be investigated.

READ ALSO: Update: Death Toll From Kaduna Gas Plant Explosion Rises to Six

Barely 24 hours after the assurance was given, the police revealed that following the directive of the Inspector-General of Police, the officers were identified, traced and arrested by the Enugu state command.


In a tweet thread, the police stated that the officers were currently in custody pending the commencement of their Orderly Room Trial.

It stated that the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Mohammed Adamu, has a zero-tolerance for the abuse of the rights of Nigerians while assuring that Mr. Obasi will get justice in this case.

Gunmen Abduct Catholic Priest In Enugu

Chief Imam’s Son, Two Others Kidnapped In Ogun Community

 

Gunmen have abducted a Catholic priest, Reverend Father Arinze Madu, in Enugu State

The incident occurred on Monday in Ezeagu Local Government Area of the state.

Reverend Madu is vice-rector at the Queen of Apostles Seminary School in the Imezi-Owa area of Enugu.

He was said to have been kidnapped by the armed men on his way out of the premises while his abductors fired gunshots sporadically to scare residents.

READ ALSONigeria’s Damilola Ogunbiyi Gets Top UN Appointment

The Enugu State Police Command confirmed the abduction to Channels Television on Tuesday.

According to the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Ebere Amarizu, the command has already sent operatives after the culprits.

He gave assurance that the command was on top of the situation while the abducted clergyman would regain his freedom unhurt.

Amarizu said, “The Enugu State Command of the Nigeria Police Force through its operatives has intensified manhunt on the abductors of Reverend Father Arinze Madu of the Queen of Apostles Seminary School, Imezi-Owa in Ezeagu Local Government Area of Enugu State with a view to liberating the victim unhurt and arresting the suspects.

“It was gathered that the priest was allegedly abducted on 28/10/19 at about 5:50pm near the gate of the seminary located at Imezi-Owa as he was driving out of the seminary premises after suspected hoodlums had allegedly fired sporadically.”

Reverend Madu’s abduction came barely three months after the Priest of St. James Greater Parish Catholic Church, Ugbawka, Reverend Father Paul Offu, was killed in Enugu State.

PHOTOS: 28 Suspected Fraudsters Arrested, Cars Recovered In EFCC Raid

A photo combination of arrested suspects and cars recovered by the EFCC. Photos; [email protected]

 

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested 28 suspected internet fraudsters in Enugu State.

A statement from the anti-graft agency on Friday disclosed that the suspects were arrested during a raid of two residential buildings at Maryland by operatives of the EFCC Zonal office in Enugu.

According to the statement, the raid was in line with the anti-graft agency’s resolve to completely wipe out the menace of internet and cybercrimes in the South-East region.

The arrests made on Thursday followed intelligence obtained by the Commission regarding activities of some of the suspects alleged to have defrauded many unsuspecting victims within and outside the country of huge sums of money through their nefarious operations.

In the course of executing a search at the residences of the suspects, the EFCC said many of them attempted to destroy some phones found on them with.

It added that a female suspect was caught trying to flush a broken iPhone down the toilet but the phone was recovered by the operatives.

Items recovered from the suspects include four Apple MacBook systems, two iPhone XS Max and other types of iPhones and HP laptop computers.

Other are two Toyota Camry, four Toyota Corolla, one Mercedes Benz GL450 cars and several mobile phones.

The EFCC said the suspects have volunteered their statements and would be charged to court as soon investigations were concluded.

See photos below:

IGP Replaces Police Commissioner In Enugu

A file photo of IGP Mohammed Adamu. PHOTO: Channels TV/ Sodiq Adelakun.

 

 

The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu, has ordered the immediate posting of Mr Ahmad Abdulrahman to Enugu State Command as the new Commissioner of Police (CP) in charge of the state.

A statement on Tuesday by the Force Public Relations Officer, Mr Frank Mba, says the posting is with immediate effect.

Mr Abdulrahman takes over from Mr Suleiman Balarabe, who has been redeployed to the Force Intelligence Bureau, FCID, Abuja, as the CP in-charge of Intelligence.

According to Mba, the new police commissioner in Enugu was until his recent posting, the CP in charge of Intelligence at the FCID, Abuja.

READ ALSO: NECO Releases 2019 June/July SSCE Results

He has held many command positions across the Federation and his posting as the CP Enugu State was predicated upon his action-oriented approach to work, his track record of outstanding leadership and interpersonal relations, the Force Public Relations Officer noted.

The IGP asked Mr Abdulrahman to bring to bear his wealth of experience, leveraging the Force policy on community policing and intelligence-driven crime-fighting strategies towards overhauling the security architecture of the coal-rich state.

He also urged the people of the state to partner with the police and accord the new police commissioner maximum cooperation in his efforts at revamping the security situation in the state.

Mr Abdulrahman holds double Masters Degrees – one in Criminal Justice and another in Conflict, Peace & Strategic Studies, both from the Kaduna State University.

He is a graduate of Political Science and Administration from the University of Sokoto and holds a post-graduate certificate in Corruption Studies from the University of Hong Kong.

Offu’s Death: Miyetti Allah To Shut Down Activities For Two Days In Enugu

 

The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, and northern leaders have resolved to shut down business activities for two days to allow intensive security sensitisation against killer herdsmen in the state.

The south east zonal leader of the association, Gidado Siddiki, who briefed journalists in Enugu said the sensitization tour from august the 14th, will cover both market and every Fulani settlement in Enugu.

The group regretted the unfortunate killing of Reverend Father Paul Offu and pledged its commitment to work with security agencies in ensuring peace in the state.

READ ALSO: Offu’s Killing: Buhari Asks Religious Leaders To Pray For Peace, Security

He said, “In appreciation of the good gesture, which Enugu State has extended to us, we are prepared to join hands with the police, the military and other security agencies in ensuring maximum security in our neighbourhood.”

The Northern leaders, therefore, expressed their “profound appreciation to Enugu State Government for the peace that prevails in the state which according to them has helped in their business as well as “the peaceful co-existence they have enjoyed over the years.

Rev. Fr. Paul Offu was shot dead along Ihe-Agbudu Road in Awgu Local Government Area by yet to be identified hoodlums.

Enugu Govt Pledges To Equip Forest guards

Supreme Court Affirms Ugwuanyi’s Election As Enugu Governor
Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (file)

 

The Enugu state government has resolved to overhaul the vigilante and neighbourhood watch group in the state and engage, equip 1700 forest guards within one month to tackle security challenges in the state.

The state governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi stated this on Monday when he met with of the vigilante and neighbourhood watch group to review the security situation in the state and chart a way forward.

According to the communique , their will be an immediate review of the Enugu state neighbourhood watch law 2006 with an executive bill on anti kidnapping to be sent to the state house of assembly as soon as possible.