Motorists travelling to and from the South-West through the Kabba-Omuo Ekiti Highway in Kogi State have been advised to use alternative routes.
The Federal Road Safety Corps which issued the advisory on Saturday said a section of the road at Ikoyi under the Iyara Local Government Area of the state had failed, leading to a poor flow of traffic.
FRSC Public Education Officer, Assistant Corps Marshal Bisi Kazeem, asked road users to use Kabba/Asaya/Ogidi/Ikare as an alternative route to or from South-West.
“Members of the motoring public and general commuters travelling from or to Southwest, through Kabba- Omuo Ekiti Federal Highway are hereby notified of a failed section of the road at Ikoyi under Iyara local government area of Kogi State,” the statement partly read.
“This development has led to lack of free flow of traffic at the said portion of the road.
“In view of the foregoing, motorists, travellers, and the general public are hereby advised to use Kabba/Asaya/Ogidi/Ikare as an alternative route to or from South-West. The Federal Ministry of Works and Housing is already activating appropriate action to ameliorate the situation.
“The Federal Road Safety Corps solicits maximum cooperation of the motoring public on this development. The Corps will also continue to update the public periodically on further developments.
“Meanwhile, operatives of FRSC are on the ground controlling traffic.”
A Federal High Court in Abuja has upheld the powers of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) to fine motorists for alleged traffic offences without first prosecuting them in a court of law.
Justice Taiwo Taiwo gave the decision on August 27, 2021, while dismissing a suit by a motorist, Dr Mohammed Suleiman, seeking N10 Million as damages from the FRSC for the detention of his car.
Suleiman filed the suit following the detention of his car, for, among others, his making a call in his car while driving.
He sought nine reliefs, including a declaration that a fair hearing was not achieved by the FRSC issuing a ticket to him to pay a fine, since the defendants were the complainants, prosecutors and the judge in their cause and consequently the fine he paid was unlawful.
He further sought a declaration that the defendants, not being courts of law, lacked the competence to find people guilty of offences.
In another instance, he prayed for a declaration that the defendants lacked the competence to detain his Toyota Picnic car, for the fulfilment of the condition of proving his innocence of the violation of any of the provisions of the FRSC Act, 2010 and or the Federal Road Safety Rules, 2012.
The plaintiff also asked the court to strike out Rules 174(1) and (2), 176, 188(1) and (2), 189(2), 211(4) 213(2), 218, 219 and 220 of the FRSC regulation 2012.
In dismissing the claims for want of merit, Justice Taiwo Taiwo held that contrary to the plaintiff’s claim, the practice whereby road marshals issue tickets to motorists on allegation of the commission of offences under the National Road Traffic Regulations, 2012 and demand ‘offenders’ to pay a fine, did not offend section 6(6) of the Constitution, Rules 166 and 220 of the National Road Traffic Regulations.
He noted that the matter had already been settled by Tijani Abubakar JCA (as he then was) at the Court of Appeal, Lagos Division in the 2019 case of Olookan v FRSC.
Justice Taiwo also noted that Suleiman did not deny making a call in his car but that his phone was connected to his car.
He said: “It is borne out of the facts presented by both parties before the court that the Plaintiff was issued with a Notice of Offence and that the plaintiff actually paid the fine. I see no wrong done to the plaintiff who elected to pay the fine rather than being prosecuted.
“The Court of Appeal, Lagos Division has decided this issue is similar to the complaint of the plaintiff herein in the case of Olookan v FRSC (2019).
“Permit me to reproduce the decision of Lord Tijani Abubakar JCA (as he then was), which to my mind has laid to rest the complaint of the plaintiff as to payment of the fine:
‘I do not think I need to add any of my reasoning to the decision of my Lord Tijani Abubakar JCA (as he then was) which has decided the issues as to the payment of the fine which constitutes a waiver by the plaintiff to so do in order not to be charged to court.
“It is my conclusion therefore that all the issues for determination ought to and are hereby resolved against the plaintiff herein from my analysis of the issues vis a vis the law and decided cases cited in this judgement.
“Therefore, all the reliefs being sought are hereby refused whether in the main or consequentially.
“On the release of the vehicle of the plaintiff, and his claim for general and exemplary damages in the sum of N10,000,000, his entitlement to this claim has not been proved by the plaintiff.
“All he stated was that his vehicle was detained illegally from the 4th of July 2019 till the time the case was filed. It is not on record as to when the vehicle was released to him, especially after the payment of the fine. The law is clear as to when the 1st defendant must release the vehicle lawfully impounded. It is trite law that the court cannot make up a case for any of the parties before it and the court is also not a Father Christmas to give unto anyone as it pleases.
“In concluding this judgment I think it proper to state that no reasonable court of law will set aside a law that is justiciable in a democratic society like the Regulations made pursuant to the Act establishing the 1st and 2nd defendants.
“These regulations are made in the interest of defence of public safety, public order and public morality. All hands must be on deck to ensure that the highways are safe for all motorists, road users and all the members of the public.
“Therefore, I find no merit in the suit filed by the Plaintiff. Same is accordingly dismissed. This is the judgement of the court.”
The Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Segun Ogungbemide in an interview with Channels Television on Wednesday said the gridlock escalated because it took a while to clear the accident scene.
“At the moment we are trying to manage the backlog of the gridlock caused as a result of the crash which occurred at the early hours of this morning.
“It involved two trucks getting involved in a crash and it took some time before we were able to clear the debris because the engine of the tanker pulled off from the structure and it took us some time to manage the traffic,” Ogungbemide said.
The aftermath of the crash generated gridlock both inward and outward Lagos.
The FRSC Sector Commander appealed to motorists not to drive against traffic rules due to impatience. He appealed to road users to exercise patience and cooperate with traffic officials.
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says the issuance of the National Identification Number (NIN) is compulsory for all categories of vehicle registration.
In a statement issued on Saturday, the Corps Public Education Officer, Bisi Kazeem, said the move, which is in total compliance with the presidential directives, would commence from the second quarter of the year.
“Beginning from the second quarter of this year (2021), if you want to register your vehicle, it is going to be compulsory for you to provide your NIN. This is part of the security checks,” FRSC Corps Marshal, Dr Boboye Oyeyemi, was quoted as saying.
“So once you provide your NIN, it makes the matter easier and helps the government in national planning, critical decision making and also enhance adequate Intelligence gathering for the security of lives and properties.”
The FRSC had mandated all applicants of the National Driver’s Licence in the country to present their National Identification Number before they could be captured for any class of the licences produced by the FRSC.
Earlier, the Nigerian Communication Commission ordered telecommunications companies to deactivate telephone lines of subscribers who failed to link their phones to their National Identity Number.
Six persons have been confirmed dead while nine others sustained various degrees of injuries on Tuesday in an accident involving a truck and a Toyota bus around car park C on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
The Ogun State Sector Commander of the Federal Roads Safety Corps (FRSC), Ahmed Umar, confirmed the incident to journalists in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital.
He explained that the accident occurred around 11:53 am and was caused by the driver of the truck with registration number FZE 376 DI who drove recklessly, lost control, and hit the bus marked ZUR 843 XA from the rear.
According to Umar, 20 people were involved in the accident which comprised 16 male adults, three female adults, and one male child.
The sector commander explained that five male adults and one female adult were killed in the accident while seven male, one female, and one male child sustained injuries.
He said that the driver of the truck tried to escape but was later apprehended and taken to Motor Traffic Division Redeemed Police Division, Mowe.
The injured victims, he stated, were taken to Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital (OOUTH) and a private hospital in Sagamu while the corpses of the deceased were taken away by their family for burial in line with the Islamic rites.
The sector commander said that the crash response team of the corps had taken the injured persons to the Kwara State General Hospital and the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH), while some others were taken to Ile Anu Medical Centre at Idofian.
He said that the corpses have been taken to the UITH by the FRSC, police, and the NSCDC, urging those going through the route to be careful and ensure that their vehicles were in good condition.
Owoade warned motorists against impatience while on the wheel, adding that as it was the festive season, only the living can celebrate.
25 male adults, seven female adults, two male children, and two female children were involved in the accident.
The FRSC boss said the injured have been taken to the Federal Medical Center in Gawu Babangida while the corpses were taken to Sabon Wuse Mortuary.
The latest accident came barely five days after five women and one child were killed in a similar road crash at Jipan village along Bida-Mokwa road in Bida local government.
Four other persons were said to have been injured in that accident.
Dagwa had at that time complained about the attitude of drivers on the road, despite educating them on the dangers of reckless driving.
“We still want to reiterate our call on motorists that they should desist from acts that are potentially dangerous to safe driving. We have carried out sensitization on Ember months to educate the drivers, but alas many of them are still disobeying road safety rules,” he had said.
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has mandated the use of the National Identification Number (NIN) for the processing of driver’s license.
“FRSC Management has resolved that effective 21 December 2020, all applicants for the National Driver’s Licence in Nigeria must present the National Identification Number (NIN) from the NIMC before they can be captured for any class of the licences produced by the FRSC,” the agency said on Wednesday in a statement signed by its Assistant Corps Marshal Bisi Kazeem.
It noted that the development followed the Federal Government’s directive on the harmonisation of citizens’ data by relevant agencies, explaining that “all driver’s licence applicants are, therefore, expected to present their National Identification Number from the date, before they can be attended to.”
Stressing that there would be no waiver for anyone, Bisi emphasised on the need for a harmonised database of all citizens and described it as critical to resolving security challenges in the country.
He urged the public, especially those going for their driver’s licence processing, to heed to the directives and follow the procedures for getting their NIN from the National Identity Management Commission which must be verified to be authentic before action can be taken on their application for the licences.
According to him, all numbers presented by the applicants must correspond with what NIMC issued to individuals for a harmonised database even as the FRSC solicited the cooperation of members of the public to make the policy a success in the collective interest of the nation and commitment to building and maintaining a credible national database on citizens.
Six people have been confirmed dead and 11 others injured after a passenger bus crashed with a truck at Niwelle Junction along the Nteje-Onitsha expressway.
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) confirmed this in a statement signed on Sunday by Sector Commander FRSC Anambra State, Andrew Kumapayi.
The accident according to Road Safety was caused due to over-speeding, leading to loss of control and eventually the crash.
“Six people killed and eleven injured in a fatal crash involving a mini white bus belonging to CDO transport Company with registration number BGT 313 XA and a white truck without a registration number recorded at 1710hrs this evening 22nd November 2020 at Niwelle Junction along Nteje-Onitsha expressway.
“Eyewitness report reaching us indicates that the crash occurred as a result of over speeding leading to loss of control of the bus and crashing eventually, the statement read in part.
A total number of 17 people including 11Male adults and six female adults were involved in the Crash.
Those who sustained varying degree of injuries were rushed to Iyienu Hospital, Ogidi, and bodies of those who died deposited at the Mogue after doctor’s confirmation