Gunmen Abduct Another Foreigner In Ekiti

Chief Imam’s Son, Two Others Kidnapped In Ogun Community
File photo of a gunman wearing bullets

 

Gunmen have kidnapped another foreigner along Igbemo Ekiti in Irepodun/Ifelodun Local Government Area of Ekiti State.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Sunday Abutu, confirmed the kidnap to Channels Television, noting that the incident took place on Tuesday.

The police spokesman asked residents not to get tensed as security operatives, noting that efforts were ongoing to the rescue of the victim and the arrest of culprits.

The latest abduction comes three months after a similar incident in Ekiti State.

In November last year, an expatriate handling a road construction was abducted and released after two weeks.

Meanwhile, the Ekiti State Police Command has banned unauthorised use of covered number plates, blaring of siren and use of revolving lights by unapproved persons.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Tunde Mobayo, described the illegal privileges as a threat to the security of the state.

“Undoubtedly, this in recent time, has pulled a great threat to the security of the State as some criminal elements hide under these guises to carry out their criminal intentions.

“To this end, the Ekiti State Commissioner of Police, CP Tunde Mobayo in compliance with the directive of the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Adamu Mohammed, has warned against the unauthorized/illegal use of siren, revolving light, covered plate numbers and the use of unregistered spy plate numbers,” he said.

Again, Bandits Abduct Over 50 Passengers In Niger

Niger is a state in the Middle Belt region of Nigeria and the largest state in the country.
Niger is a state in the Middle Belt region of Nigeria and the largest state in the country.

 

Less than three weeks after 40 NSTA passengers were kidnapped, gunmen have again abducted over 50 passengers along the Tegina-Minna road in the Rafi Local Government of Niger State.

Speaking on Tuesday in Minna, the state capital a local resident told journalists that the gunmen blocked the road at Kundu town, a few kilometres from Zungeru town.

According to reports, the passengers were in the three vehicles who were abducted and taken to an unknown destination while the vehicles were left by the roadside.

READ ALSO: Buhari Declares Zamfara ‘No-Fly Zone’, Bans Mining Activities

Similarly, armed bandits kidnapped unknown numbers of villagers at Gidigori town in Rafi Local Government Area burning five cars and carting away valuables.

Confirming the incident, senior government officials who craved anonymity said nothing has been heard from the bandits to enable the authorities to know the identities of those kidnapped.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, ASP, Wasiu Abiodun, did not pick his calls to confirm the incident at the time of filing in the story.

Zamfara Abduction: Police Deploy Surveillance Helicopters To Gusau 

The Commissioner of Police in Zamfara State, Abutu Yaru

 

The Nigeria Police Force has deployed two surveillance helicopters to Jangebe and its environs in search of the abducted girls of Government Girls Science Secondary School in Zamfara State.

In a statement issued on Saturday by the Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, the surveillance helicopters will complement the efforts of the operation puff adder.

According to him, the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu has also condemned the abduction, describing it as barbaric and callous.

He said the joint rescue operation is being carried out by the police, the military and other members of the law enforcement community with support from the state government and other stakeholders.

Civil Servant Rescued From Suspected Kidnappers In Bayelsa

Bayelsa Govt House Photographer, One Other Shot Dead

 

The Bayelsa State Vigilante Force has arrested two suspected kidnappers said to have held a civil servant, Judith Adoga at gunpoint and forced her to different ATM points within the Yenagoa metropolis where they withdrew an undisclosed amount of money from her account.

The kidnapping of unsuspecting residents of the state and forcing them to withdraw their monies from ATM points have been the recent mode of operation by criminals in Yenagoa, the state capital.

The hoodlums had picked their victim at Imgbi Road on February 25 and were moving around town seeking a POS point to make withdrawals when the SWAT Team swoop on them and arrested two suspects – Headman Eniyi and Ebi Tonbofa.

Exhibits recovered from them included a revolver pistol with three rounds of live ammunition.

The Bayelsa State Police Command confirmed the incident via a press statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Asinim Butswat.

“You will recall that the Commissioner of Police, Bayelsa State Command, CP Mike Okoli, had earlier ordered police detectives to fish out the armed robbery gang when similar reports were made to the Police Command,” he said.

“Bayelsa remains one of the safest states for business and for people to stay, hence he will continue to do his best to assist in fighting crime and criminality as enshrined his mandate.”

The arrest by the state-funded vigilante served as a morale booster to the residents of the state and a basis for renewed hope in the state governor, Senator Douye Diri, who has on different occasions said that he wouldn’t place politics with the security of lives and properties.

Meanwhile, the suspects have been handed over to the Special Weapon Tactical team (SWAT) of the State Police Command for further investigation and prosecution.

According to the police authorities, the suspects are cooperating with the investigation and would be charged to court at the conclusion of the investigation.

 

Gunmen Storm Secondary School In Zamfara, Kidnap Scores Of Female Students

 

Gunmen have stormed a government secondary school in Jangebe, Zamfara State, kidnapping female students in their scores. 

The school which is located within the Talata-Mafara local government area of the state came under siege at past midnight.

Confirming the incident to Channels Television via a telephone conversation, the state commissioner for information, Hon. Suleiman Tunau Anka said the gunmen stormed the school around 1 a.m on Friday and abducted the students.

He, however, did not confirm how many students were kidnapped.

Reports however suggest that no fewer than 300 girls were snatched from their dormitory.

READ ALSO: No Support From FG On Rescue Of Kagara Students, Gov Bello Laments

As of the time of filing this report, all attempts to reach police authorities in the state have proved abortive.

The latest abduction in Zamfara comes at a time when banditry is increasingly threatening the peace of the nation, especially from within the northeastern and northwestern region.

A major focus for the bandits in recent times has been to attack secondary schools and whisk students away, mostly, in a bid to use them as bargaining chips in their negotiations with the government.

In a bid to forestall an attack of this nature, the Zamfara State government had last December ordered the immediate closure of 10 boarding and day schools in the state.

According to the government, the affected schools were those that share borders with Katsina, Kaduna, and Sokoto States which for quite a while have been prone to banditry.

The Government Girls Secondary School in Jangebe happens, however, not to be one of the schools ordered to close.

NSTA Passengers’ Kidnap: They Threatened To Kill Us, Abducted Victim Narrates Ordeal

Barrister Hauwa Abdulsalam, one of the 53 passengers of the Niger State Transit Authority (NSTA) that was kidnapped along the Zungeru-Minna road on February 14, has narrated her ordeal with the bandits.

Speaking to Channels Television on Monday, Abdulsalam said the bandits threatened to kill all of the captives, noting that they were heavily armed.

While identifying the leader of the bandits to be one Katalla Alli, the legal practitioner said during the seven-day period they were held captive, they only had access to dirty water from the river.

“They cannot be described, they are armed. They are heartless, fearless and said they were going to kill us,” she said when asked to describe her captors.

“And they mean it, I swear they mean it. It was yesterday that they gave the deadline, from yesterday they would start killing the men and today, they would kill the women. The leader swore and he meant it, he said is name is Katalla Alli.”

According to her, the leader of the group complained about the government, adding that thy (the bandits) were given several promises during the build-up to the 2015 general elections.

READ ALSO: Niger Govt Secures Release Of 53 Kidnapped NSTA Passengers

When asked what the promises were, Abdulsalam said the bandits’ leader told her shelter, hospital, good education and put them on a monthly payroll.

Barrister Hauwa Abdulsalam was one of the 53 passengers of the Niger State Transit Authority (NSTA) that was kidnapped along the Zungeru-Minna road on February 14.

 

She noted that when the 2015 general elections came and went, the government reneged on its earlier promise, thus forcing them to indulge in banditry.

“They were just complaining about the government that the government promised them something during the election.

“They didn’t fulfil it, that was what prompted them to be into this banditry of a thing and kidnapping. They were telling us that if the government can fulfil their promise.

“The government promised to give them shelter, good education, they will pay some of them salaries, farms and everything, but the government refused,” she added.

Meanwhile, all the 53 passengers abducted by bandits from have now been reunited with their families one week after their abduction.

They arrived at the Niger State Government House in Minna on Sunday night and were received by Governor Abubakar Bello and other top government officials.

UPDATED: Niger Govt Secures Release Of 53 Kidnapped NSTA Passengers

The Niger State Government has secured the release of all passengers abducted from the Niger State Transit Authority (NSTA) bus.

Governor of Niger State, Abubakar Sani Bello, announced this via his official Twitter handle on Sunday.

“We are pleased to announce to the general public the release of the NSTA passengers abducted a week ago while returning to Minna along the Minna-Zungeru road,” he tweeted.

 

The Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mary Noel-Berje told Channels Television that the abductees were rescued around Zamfara State and are on their way to Niger State.

She however did not give details on how the government secured their release.

The travellers were later received by the Governor at the Niger State Government House in Minna the state capital, on Sunday night.

The governor also assured that efforts are still ongoing to ensure the release of students and workers recently kidnapped from Government Science Collage Kagara, Rafi Local Government Area.

“All 53 Kidnapped NSTA Passengers regained their freedom, efforts ongoing to Rescue the Government Science Collage Kagara Students,” the governor said on his official Twitter handle.

The governor’s announcement comes seven days after gunmen kidnapped at least 30 travellers along the Tegina-Zungeru highway in Rafi Local Government Area of Niger State.

Officials of the drivers union in the area said the victims were travelling in a bus of the Niger State Transport Authority (NSTA) when they ran into an ambush by the bandits.

The gunmen also killed three members of the local vigilante group which attempted to foil their operation.

Bandits Kidnap 18 In Niger State

 

Bandits have kidnapped 18 passengers of the Niger State Transport Authority (NSTA) in Niger State.

The attack occurred at Yakila village in Rafi local government area of the state on Sunday, with the bandits leaving a woman and her baby behind and whisking away the other 18 passengers.

The passengers were said to be heading to Minna, the state capital from Kotangora when the incident happened.

The Director-General of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency, Ahmed Inga confirmed the incident to Channels Television via a phone interview.

Inga who was on his way from Kagara for the revalidation of his All Progressives Congress (APC) membership in the company of the Chief of Staff said they met the scene where the bandits operated.

Read Also: Shasha Violence: Do Not Take Laws Into Your Hands, Akeredolu Tells Ibadan Residents

He explained that they met the woman and her child who were left behind by the bandits.

“The only thing I can tell you now is we have rescued the woman and her baby and she is in the vehicle with us and we are on our way to Minna. She told us that the bandits blocked the way and went away with the other 18 passengers on the bus.

“No government official was among those kidnapped. I can’t give more than that for now because the woman is traumatized and we cannot be asking her too many questions yet,” the SEMA DG said.

Meanwhile, efforts to speak to the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Wasiu Abiodun, proved abortive as his phone was not reachable.

Turkey Confirms Release Of 15 kidnapped Sailors Off Coast Of Nigeria

 

Turkey on Friday announced the release of 15 sailors kidnapped on a cargo ship off the coast of Nigeria last month.

Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said the Mozart’s crew were all in good health and would fly back to Turkey from the Nigerian capital Abuja within days.

“We are going to repatriate our compatriots,” Cavusoglu was quoted as saying by the Anadolu state news agency.

“They are in good health,” he said without providing details about the crew’s release.

The Mozart had been en route from Lagos to Cape Town in South Africa when it was boarded on January 23.

The unidentified armed men killed an Azerbaijani sailor and wounded several of the Liberian-flagged vessel’s crew.

The ship then sailed on to Gabon before contact was officially lost.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s office said the Turkish leader had spoken to the ship’s acting captain shortly after the attack to make sure the remaining crew were safe.

The head of the shipping company operating the Mozart told Turkish television that the crew would fly home after undergoing health checkups in Nigeria.

Pirate attacks on ships worldwide jumped 20 percent last year driven by a record spate of kidnappings off West Africa, the International Maritime Bureau said last month.

Out of 135 sailors abducted globally last year, 130 were recorded in the Gulf of Guinea — the highest ever number of crew members kidnapped in the area stretching thousands of kilometres (miles) from Senegal to Angola.

Police Rescue Three Kidnapped Chinese Nationals In Osun

A map of Osun state, a region in South-west Nigeria.
A map of Osun state, a region in South-west Nigeria.

 

 

The police in Osun state said on Tuesday they had freed three Chinese workers kidnapped last week.

The Chinese nationals were abducted and their police escort killed on February 1 following a dispute with local labourers at the mining site at the Atakumosa area of the state.

“We have rescued the three Chinese expatriates. They were freed on Sunday,” state police spokeswoman Yemisi Opalola told AFP.

She said they were released following a joint operation of police and local hunters.

“Our operatives and the hunters had been combing the bushes and forests for the past one week,” she said.

Opalola said the kidnappers had to abandon their captives when security forces closed in on them.

She said the foreigners became ill while in captivity and were being given medical care.

“We met them in a terrible state. These were people who were made to endure rough weather and not properly fed in captivity,” she said.

She said no arrests had been made.

Last July, four Chinese workers were abducted from a quarry site in  Cross River state while their police guard was killed.

They were released one month later.

Gunmen Kidnap Taraba Governor’s Aide

A file photo of a gun seized from crime suspects in Nigeria.

 

Gunmen suspected to be bandits have kidnapped Bala Baba, the Senior Special Assistant to Governor Darius Ishaku of Taraba State.

Confirming the incident to journalists on Tuesday in Jalingo, the police spokesman in the state, Leha Reform, said the victim was abducted in his residence in Sabon Gari area.

Leha explained that the incident took place today at about 2:30 am, adding that efforts were ongoing to rescue him and apprehend the perpetrators.

The police spokesman, however, noted that the abductors are yet to call to make their intentions known.

According to him, the Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Azare has ordered for an investigation into the matter and promised to come up with positive results.

Leha said the police is doing everything within its power to nip collaboration in the bud, adding that the State Police Command is collaborating with other security agencies including the vigilante groups.

The kidnap incident comes less than 48 hours after the Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Peter Jediel was abducted and subsequently released.

Bandits Kill Two As Security Operatives Rescue 19 Kidnap Victims In Kaduna LGAs

A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria's North-Central region.
A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria’s north-west region.

 

Two people have been reported killed by bandits during an attack in the Zaria local government area of Kaduna state.

The bandits also stole four motorcycles from the village during the operation.

According to a statement by the Kaduna state commissioner for internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, the bandits had earlier stormed the village and attacked the residence of Abdulazeez Sani, a Local Government Council member, and abducted his wife Samira Abdulazeez, two children Aliyu and Lawal Abdulazeez, and another woman, Halima M. Sani alongside her son.

As the bandits made away with the hostages, they were intercepted by local vigilante members at Ungwan Mai Turmi village in the nearby Igabi local government area.

READ ALSO: Troops Rescue Kidnap Victim, Arrest Suspects In Jos

The ensuing shootout forced the bandits to abandon their captives and beat a hasty retreat, enabling the rescue of the abductees by the vigilantes.

The bandits retreated, passing through Ungwan Hazo village in Zaria local government area, and there shot two persons dead; Musa Isah and
Yusufa Suleiman, while two women, Hafsatu Isah and Fatima Suleiman sustained gunshot wounds in the attack.

In another development, fourteen people kidnapped in a neighboring council have regained their freedom in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area and have since been reunited with their families.

Another set of five kidnap victims were rescued by Security operatives at Ungwan Makada in Dutsen Abba Ward, Zaria Local Government Area.

The rescued hostages have all been reunited with their families, as security patrols continue in the area.