Oyo Discharges Two COVID-19 Patients, Reports 43 New Cases

A file photo of a health worker writing on a paper. Channels TV/ Sodiq Adelakun.

 

The Oyo State government has confirmed the recovery of two more patients from coronavirus (COVID-19) in the state.

In a series of tweets on Thursday, the incident commander and state governor, Seyi Makinde, explained that the two persons have been discharged from the government isolation facility after they received their second Negative test results.

Giving an update on the outbreak of the disease, Governor Makinde noted that this brings the number of discharged cases in Oyo to 811.

He, however, disclosed that the COVID-19 confirmation tests for 43 suspected cases came back positive.

According to the governor, the new infections were recorded across 10 local government areas of the state.

Ibadan North recorded the highest number of new cases – nine, followed by Ido, Oluyole, and Ibadan South East which have eight, six, and five infections, respectively.

(File) Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, says 811 people have been successfully treated and discharged from the government’s isolation centre in the state.

 

The trio of Lagelu, Ibadan South West, and Ibadan North East have three new cases each, with two infections recorded each in Ona Ara, Ibadan North West, and Akinyele.

As of 11:43am on Thursday, Oyo State has a total of 1,573 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

In line with measures to curb the further spread of COVID-19 in Oyo, Governor Makinde urged residents to promptly call the emergency operations centre or visit a community-based testing centre when they notice any symptoms of the disease.

Read the governor’s tweets below:

 

The governor’s tweets came hours after the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) reported 460 new cases across the country.

The new infections were reported from 20 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

Of the 30,249 cases confirmed so far, 12,373 have been successfully treated and discharged while 684 persons have lost the battle to COVID-19.

COVID-19 Patient Delivers Baby In Oyo

A file photo of Oyo state Governor, Seyi Makinde.
A file photo of Oyo state Governor, Seyi Makinde.

 

Oyo state has recorded its first COVID-19 patient delivery, Governor Seyi Makinde announced on Saturday.

The baby was delivered at the state’s Infectious Disease Centre in Olodo.

“Mother and baby are doing well,” Makinde said in a series of tweets.

 

The Governor also confirmed 19 new cases of the virus in the state.

“The cases are from Ibadan South East (3), Ibadan North (3), Akinyele (3), Lagelu (2), Oluyole (2), Ibadan North West (2), Egbeda (1), Ido (1), Ona Ara (1) and Oyo East (1) Local Government Areas,” Makinde said.

According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Oyo state has now recorded a total of 1,451 cases of COVID-19, as of Friday evening.

“Sadly, we had two COVID-19 related deaths. So, the total number of deaths in Oyo State is fourteen,” Makinde said.

“Please call the Emergency Operations Centre on 08095394000 | 08095863000 | 08078288999 | 08078288800, if you have any COVID-19 symptoms: cough, fever, tiredness, body ache, loss of smell/taste and shortness of breath,” the Governor added.

Oyo Discharges 180 COVID-19 Patients, Records 66 New Cases

File photo.

 

 

One hundred and eighty coronavirus (COVID-19) patients have been successfully treated and discharged from the isolation facility in Oyo State.

The state governor, Seyi Makinde, disclosed this in a series of tweets on Monday night while giving an update on the outbreak of the disease in the state.

He explained that the recovered persons were discharged after receiving their second negative test results, bringing the number of discharged cases in Oyo to 688.

Makinde, who is also the incident commander of COVID-19 in the state, announced the confirmation of 66 new infections.

According to him, the new cases were reported from 13 local government areas of the state while one more person lost the battle to COVID-19.

The governor said the state now has 1,372 COVID-19 cases with a total of 12 deaths recorded so far.

He urged the residents to continue to comply with the guidelines of the Oyo COVID-19 Task Force to curb the spread of the disease in the state.

See the governor’s tweets below:

COVID-19: Three Members Of Oyo Exco Test Positive

Seyi Makinde

 

Three members of the Oyo State Executive Council have tested positive for COVID-19.

Governor Seyi Makinde announced this in a tweet on Wednesday, after the state government received confirmation tests for all members of the state exco.

Governor Makinde confirmed that three tests came back positive, while two were inconclusive and would need to be retested.

He, therefore, called for prayers for the officials while wishing them a speedy recovery.

Oyo Govt Postpones Resumption Of Schools Till July 6

Seyi Makinde

 

The Oyo State Government has postponed the resumption of schools till July amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

This was confirmed in a statement issued by Taiwo Adisa, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde on Tuesday.

According to Adisa, the State COVID-19 Task Force modified the resumption date for Primary six, Junior Secondary School 3, Senior Secondary School 3 students, in the state after a meeting that reviewed the preparedness of schools ahead of the planned resumption.

He noted that the Commissioner for Education, Olasunkanmi Olaleye and experts from the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) had been going around the schools to determine compliance with the COVID-19 prevention protocols put in place by the schools.

“By the new arrangement, Teachers are to resume to the schools on Monday, June 29, 2020, while students in critical classes including Primary 6, JSS3 and SS3 will resume a week later on July 6, 2020.

READ ALSO: Dapo Abiodun Appoints New Head Of Service In Ogun

“As of Monday, June 22, no fewer than 372 Heads of Schools have been trained by the EOC on the management of the COVID-19 containment procedures, while each of the schools is to appoint an Incident Manager, who will ensure compliance with the approved COVID-19 protocol.

“Each student is expected to wear face masks, while the schools are to prepare well laid out handwashing spots to guarantee regular washing of hands by the students and teachers.

“The Task Force also resolved that by July 15, the state government would have reviewed the situation with the schools and come to a conclusion whether the remaining classes would be able to resume or whether the students would have to wait to resume the new session in September 2020,” he said.

Meanwhile, community testing embarked upon by the state government has carried out a test on nearly 8,000 residents.

The community testing is currently going on in 10 locations, across the state, while testing would be regularly conducted from the secondary health centres located in the seven administrative zones of the state after the ongoing massive community testing exercise.

Nine COVID-19 Patients Recover In Oyo

A file photo of a health worker writing on a paper. Channels TV/ Sodiq Adelakun.

 

 

Nine more coronavirus (COVID-19) patients have been successfully treated and discharged in Oyo State.

The state governor, Seyi Makinde, confirmed this in a series of posts via his Twitter handle on Tuesday.

He noted that the recovered COVID-19 patients were discharged after they received their second negative test results, bringing the total number of recovered persons in Oyo to 290.

Governor Makinde, however, announced that the results of 76 COVID-19 confirmation tests for 76 suspected cases came back positive.

The cases were reported from 14 local government areas of the state, bringing the number of total confirmed cases to 988.

According to the governor, the government has begun the training over 300 stakeholders in the public education sector, to ensure safe learning environments as it prepares for the phased reopening of schools.

He added that they have commenced the ‘Own Your Action’ campaign, explaining that the initiative was designed to communicate the need to break COVID-19 transmission at the grassroots.

Read the governor’s tweets below:

N2.7bn Spent On COVID-19 Fight, Says Oyo Govt

A file photo of Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde.

 

The Oyo State Government says N2.7billion has been spent so far on the efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic in the state.

This was disclosed on Tuesday by the state’s COVID-19 Task Force, which gave the account through the Commissioner for Finance, Mr. Akinola Ojo.

Ojo said the amount was spent on setting up of treatment and isolation centres, procurement of palliatives and seedlings for a section of the residents and farmers as well as procurement of ambulances and the security of the state’s borders, among others.

In a statement signed by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, the Finance Commissioner stated these while briefing the press at the Governor’s Office in Agodi, Ibadan, the state capital.

READ ALSO: Oyo Govt Postpones Resumption Of Schools Till July 6

Giving a breakdown of the figures, Ojo said N370 million was for the setting up of the Infectious Disease Centre in Ibadan; N453 million on the security of the state borders; N118 million to provide support for the University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan for partnership on testing; N900 million on the provision of palliatives and seedling to residents and farmers.

According to him, N321 million was spent on the procurement of ambulances for the Ministry of Health, adding that N614 million was released so far on the procurement of reagents, body kits, drugs and other items for testing and treatment of patients.

“In terms of the cost of treatment, if you remember when I gave the breakdown, I said we spent N614 million on other items, which were consumables, such as reagents and body kits and others for patients,” he said.

The commissioner, who stated that the state has approved a total of N15,000 per health worker as hazard allowance added that the allowance would be paid from March 2020.

COVID-19: Oyo Discharges 15 Patients

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde

 

The Oyo State Government has discharged 15 COVID-19 patients after testing negative twice for the virus.

This was disclosed on Saturday by Governor Seyi Makinde, who is also the Chairman of the COVID-19 Task Force.

Following this incident, the number of discharged cases in the state stands at 112 while the total number of fatalities in the state is seven.

Governor Makinde noted that the COVID-19 confirmation tests carried conducted on 16 persons turned out positive.

According to him, the cases are from Ibadan South West (11), Ibadan North West (2), Ido (1), Oluyole (1) and Ibadan North (1) Local Government Areas.

Meanwhile, the total number of confirmed cases in Oyo is 334.

READ ALSO: Ogun Relaxes Lockdown Measures, To Allow Religious Activities From June 19

“Fifteen confirmed COVID-19 cases have received their second NEGATIVE test results and have been discharged. This brings the number of discharged cases in Oyo State to 112.

“Also, the COVID-19 confirmation tests for sixteen suspected cases came back POSITIVE. The cases are from Ibadan South West (11), Ibadan North West (2), Ido (1), Oluyole (1) & Ibadan North (1) Local Government Areas. So, the total number of confirmed cases in Oyo State is 334.

“Please call the Emergency Operations Centre on 08095394000 | 08095863000 | 08078288999 | 08078288800, if you have any COVID-19 symptoms: cough, fever, tiredness, body ache and shortness of breath,” he said.

Oyo State Commissioner For Environment, Kehinde Ayoola Is Dead

The Oyo State government has announced the death of its Commissioner for Environment and Natural Resources, Honourable Kehinde Ayoola.

The announcement was made in a statement signed on Thursday by the Chief Press Secretary to the state Governor, Seyi Makinde.

Ayoola, according to the statement drove himself to Frontida Critical Care Hospital, Iyaganku, Ibadan, two weeks ago, for medical checks, after which he was advised to proceed on bed rest.

READ ALSO: EFCC Arraigns Oyo Permanent Secretary Over Alleged N4.4m Scam

He was, however, pronounced dead on Thursday morning.

Ayoola served as the Speaker of the 4th Session of the Oyo State House of Assembly, under the administration of former Governor Lam Adesina.

He was one of the first batch of 14 Commissioners sworn into office on August 14, 2019, by Governor Makinde and was thereafter asked to head the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources.

The late Commissioner was born in Oyo town in January 1965 and attended St. Michael’s Primary School, Oke Ebo, Oyo, Olivet Baptist High School, Oyo and the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University), Ile-Ife, where he studied Animal Science and Environmental Management and Control.

Seyi Makinde Visits Scene Of Moniya Inferno, Vows To Rebuild Affected Stalls

Seyi Makinde at the scene of the fire incident.

 

Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde on Monday visited the scene of the fire incident that razed some shops at Moniya, Akinyele Local Government Area of the state.

The governor, who was accompanied by the chairman of Akinyele Local Government, Taoheed Adedigba and the Chairman, State Advisory Council, Senator Hosea Agboola, among other top government functionaries, told the shop owners that the Caretaker Chairman have been directed to re-build the shops affected by the fire.

 

Makinde, while commiserating with the victims of the inferno also vowed to allocate the new shops to the old owners when completed.

“The local government will rebuild the shops here and after they are done, they will allocate the new shops to those whose shops were burnt.

“I want to assure you that they will prepare a list, take down your names and we will, as a matter of urgency, see what we can do immediately to cushion the effect of the terrible fire incident,” he said.

The governor also described the inferno as an unfortunate and a heart-breaking incident and assured that the State Government would find ways of assisting the victims that were affected by the inferno so as to cushion the effects of the terrible incident.

Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde on Monday visited the scene of the fire incident that razed some shops at Moniya, Akinyele Local Government Area of the state.

The governor, who was accompanied by the chairman of Akinyele Local Government, Taoheed Adedigba and the Chairman, State Advisory Council, Senator Hosea Agboola, among other top government functionaries, told the shop owners that the Caretaker Chairman have been directed to re-build the shops affected by the fire.

Makinde, while commiserating with the victims of the inferno also vowed to allocate the new shops to the old owners when completed.

“The local government will rebuild the shops here and after they are done, they will allocate the new shops to those whose shops were burnt.

“I want to assure you that they will prepare a list, take down your names and we will, as a matter of urgency, see what we can do immediately to cushion the effect of the terrible fire incident,” he said.

The governor also described the inferno as an unfortunate and a heart-breaking incident and assured that the State Government would find ways of assisting the victims that were affected by the inferno so as to cushion the effects of the terrible incident.

Oyo Records Three New Cases Of COVID-19

A file photo of Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde.
A file photo of Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde.

 

 

Oyo has reported three more cases of coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing to 21 the total number of infections in the state.

The state governor, Seyi Makinde, confirmed this in a series of tweets, saying Oyo has nine active cases of COVID-19.

He explained that as of 11:50pm on Saturday, the result of the test for three suspected cases at the University College Hospital, Ibadan came back positive.

Governor Makinde disclosed that a total of 610 samples have been collected so far in the state.

He added that 453 of the samples were collected at the COVID-19 drive-through/walk-through testing centre at Adamasingba Stadium while testing was ongoing at the centre.

READ ALSO: Suspected Killer Of Funke Olakunrin, Two Others Test Positive For COVID-19

According to the government, 10 patients have been discharged and another transferred from the state while one death has been recorded.

 

The governor urged residents who have reasons to be tested to call the state’s Emergency Operations Centre.

People in such categories include those who believe they could have had contact with a COVID-19 case, residents who returned to Nigeria from abroad within the last one month and their contacts, those with respiratory symptoms, as well as healthcare workers who have been in contact with the high-risk groups.

Governor Makinde also appealed to the residents to follow the directives of the Oyo State COVID-19 Task Force, as part of measures to curb the spread of the disease.

See the governor’s tweets below:

Five COVID-19 Cases Discharged, Six Active In Oyo – Govt

A file photo of Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde.
A file photo of Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde.

 

 

The Oyo State government says a total of five people infected with coronavirus (COVID-19) have been discharged in the state.

This was revealed in the latest update of the Oyo State COVID-19 Task Force sent to Channels Television on Friday.

Since the outbreak of the disease in Nigeria, the government noted that the state has recorded 11 infections so far – including the state governor, Seyi Makinde, and some top government officials.

It explained that only six cases were active while the number of those who have recovered from the disease rose from two on Thursday.

 

The government said three other persons who had tested positive for coronavirus were discharged after the result of their second tests came out negative.

it urged the people of the state to continue to comply with the measures put in place to contain the spread of the disease.

Read the full update from the government below:

Yesterday (Thursday), three confirmed COVID-19 patients were discharged after receiving their second negative test results.

This brings the number of discharged cases in Oyo State to five. So, there are currently six active cases.

All previously announced measures to prevent, contain and control the spread of COVID-19 in Oyo State, remain in place.

These include the dusk to dawn curfew (7 PM to 6 AM); no gatherings of more than ten people to be held anywhere in the state and the closure of all markets except those selling perishable food items.

Also, inter-state transportation into and out of the state remains suspended except vehicles carrying food items, medical, pharmaceutical and petroleum products.

Please, keep following the directives of the Oyo State COVID-19 Task Force. Wash your hands with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, regularly. Also, continue to maintain social distancing.