Kaduna Education Commissioner, Professor Nok Is Dead

Christian Leaders Beg El-Rufai To Suspend Teachers’ Sack
File photo of Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai

The Kaduna State Commissioner of Education, Science and Technology, Professor Andrew Nok is dead.

The state government in a statement signed by the spokesman to the governor, Samuel Aruwan, said Professor Nok died at the age of 55, at his residence in Kaduna on Tuesday, November 21, 2017.

Governor Nasir El-Rufai said the Professor Nok before his death was, “one of the best this country has produced, and one of the most committed persons to have served Kaduna State.”

READ ALSO: Kaduna’s Competency Test Shows Symptom Of Systemic Decay, Says Amadi

The Kaduna State governor said the late commissioner was a pillar of his cabinet, a capable administrator who was adept at getting things done and dedicated to the progress of the state.”

“Professor Nok was one of the best this country has produced, and one of the most committed persons to have served Kaduna State. He was steadfast, rigorous and very successful in implementing our project to improve Health and Education in the state. He will be sorely missed,” El-Rufai said.

The late commissioner was a professor of Biochemistry at the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria.

Professor Nok won the Alexander Humboldt prize in 2013 for his research into finding a cure for trypanosomiasis. In 2009, he won the NLNG prize for identifying the gene responsible for the enzyme which causes sleeping sickness (trypanosomiasis). The Federal Government of Nigeria also honoured him with the Nigerian National Order of Merit (NNOM)

He was appointed Commissioner for Health and Human Services by Governor El-Rufai in August 2015, and later redeployed to the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology in 2016.

ICAO Authenticates Progress And Development Of Nigeria’s Aviation

Nigeria's aviation sectorThe International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) has authenticated the progress and development of aviation in Nigeria.

The authentication was contained in a preliminary audit result released at the closing meeting of the ICAO Universal Safety Oversight Audit Programme (USOAP) conducted on Nigeria.

The presentation was presided over by the leader of a team of the auditors, Mr Jean-Claude Waffo. He was joined by three team members to present their assessment of the aviation industry in Nigeria.

Each member gave an individual assessment of all the delineated areas – Legislation (LEG), Organisation (ORG), Accident and Incident Investigation (AIG), Air Navigational Services (ANS) and Aerodrome and Ground Aids (AGA).

During the presentation, the Team leader and the members articulated all their systemic findings in the course of the 11-day USOAP Audit conducted on Nigeria.

While there were areas that were identified as open items that needed to be closed, the auditors unanimously showed satisfaction with the level of improvement in the aviation industry.

However, the final report will be produced and sent to Canada for review and final assent. This will be done only when comments on the draft report had been received from Nigeria.

According to the Mr Waffo, “draft results will be produced 90 days after today’s presentation.

“Thereafter, Nigeria is expected to produce a Corrective Action Plan (CAP) which will provide room for comments and observations within 45 days.

“The final report is only to be expected and produced after 30 days of receipt and acknowledgement of comments”.

At the end of the presentation the auditors thanked the Director General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), Captain Muhtar Usman and all the Chief Executives of the aviation parastatals.

Commendations were also extended to the Nigerian team that worked with the auditors during the audit.

Earlier, the NCAA DG in his opening remarks expressed his appreciation and acknowledged the demonstration of unparalleled dedication and the high sense of responsibility with which the auditors acquitted themselves during the audit.

He assured the auditors that all the open items would be closed forthwith. This will be adequately communicated in the Corrective Action Plan (CAP) to be forwarded by the Authority as required, he said.

“All the lessons learnt from this exercise will be used to enhance the development, safety and security of aviation not only in Nigeria but the whole of Africa,” Captain Usman emphasised.

The Managing Director of the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Mr Saleh Dunoma, also assured the auditors that all areas that required improvement would be addressed.

Other Chief Executives present at the meeting were the Commissioner, Accident Investigation Bureau, Dr. Felix Abali, the Acting Managing Director of the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency, Mr Emmanuel Anasi and Directors from all the parastatals.

Hajj Stampede Death Toll Rises To 222

HajjDeath toll from the hajj stampede in Mina Saudi Arabia has hit 222.

An official of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, (NAHCON), Dr. Ibrahim Kana, told journlists in Abuja on Monday that after reconciliation it has now been confirmed that 222 Nigerians actually died.

There have been conflicting reports on the number of deaths but with this clarification, issues surrounding the number of those who died in the September 24 stampede may have been laid to rest.

Dr. Ibrahim Kana said that the majority of those who died have been buried while 130 pilgrims are still missing.

The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, through its Commissioner, Planning and Research, Dr Saleh Okenwa, had earlier put the number at 199, stating that 121 pilgrims were still missing.

At least 717 pilgrims were killed on September 24 in a crush at Mina, outside the Muslim Holy City of Mecca, where two million people were performing the annual Hajj pilgrimage, Saudi authorities said.

At least 450 others were injured in the stampede, which took place on Street 204 of the camp city at Mina, a few kilometers east of Mecca, where pilgrims stay for several days during the climax of the Hajj.

Death Toll From Hajj Stampede Hits 199

hajjThe National Hajj Commission of Nigeria has again cleared the air on the number of Nigerians that died in the stampede in Saudi Arabia.

According to the Commissioner, Planning and Research, Dr Saleh Okenwa, so far, 199 people have been confirmed dead while undergoing the exercise in Saudi Arabia.

He told reporters in Abuja on Monday that 121 pilgrims were still missing.

Giving the breakdown of the dead, he said Sokoto lost 79 pilgrims, 59 missing in Kano while 20 pilgrims from Kano have been certified dead.

He listed other states affected as Adamawa, Borno, the Federal Capital Territory, Gombe and Kaduna.

Also affected are Katsina, Kebbi, Nasarawa, Niger, Ogun and Ondo.

Others States on the list are Plateau, Rivers, Taraba, Yobe and Zamfara.

At least 717 pilgrims were killed on September 24 in a crush at Mina, outside the Muslim Holy City of Mecca, where two million people are performing the annual Hajj pilgrimage, Saudi authorities said.

At least 450 others were injured in the stampede, which took place on Street 204 of the camp city at Mina, a few kilometers east of Mecca, where pilgrims stay for several days during the climax of the Hajj.

Governor Ajimobi Dissolves Entire Cabinet

Oyo state governor, Ajibola Ajimobi has ordered the dismissal of all commissioners, special assistants, and advisers which took effect after council meeting today 23rd September.

Governor Abiola Ajimobi who announced the sack in a statement attributed his decision to a need to bring in fresh hands to provide improved service.

He thanked the commissioners and Special Advisers who made up the executive council for their contributions so far and asked them to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries in their various ministries.

Oshiomhole dissolves Edo state cabinet

The Edo state governor, Adams Oshiomhole on Friday dissolved the State Executive Council.

Mr Oshiomhole, while addressing the commissioners at a valedictory EXCO meeting in Benin City, the Edo State capital, said working with them in the last four years has provided good leadership for the people which led to his re-election.

The state Attorney-general and Commissioner for Justice, Osagie Obayuwana thanked the Governor for giving them the opportunity to serve and described the experience as a school of leadership for them.

Mr Oshiomhole will be sworn-in for a second term on Monday 12 November 2012.