Fourteen #EndSARS protesters arrested by the Police in Ughelli, Delta State in connection with the killing of a Police Corporal during the agitations have been released.
“In line with our commitment to meet all the legitimate requests of the #EndSARS protesters in Delta State,” Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa tweeted on Thursday, “all the protesters that were previously detained by the Police in Ughelli have been released.”
In line with our commitment to meet all the legitimate requests of the #EndSARS protesters in Delta State, all the protesters that were previously detained by the Police in Ughelli have been released. pic.twitter.com/CYwxK47Z3z
The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has condemned the violent attack on policemen and damage to police operational vehicles and other assets by #EndSARS protesters in Ughelli, Delta State, on Thursday.
He has also ordered a probe into the incident which resulted in the death of a police officer, Corporal Etaga Stanley attached to ‘A’ Division, Ughelli.
Another police officer, Sergeant Patrick Okuone also reportedly sustained gunshot injuries during the attack.
The Force Headquarter’s spokesperson, Frank Mba, in a statement on Friday, said the protesters also carted away “one service AK47 rifle with breach no 56-2609008 and 25 rounds of live ammunition that was with the deceased at the time of the incident.”
The IGP described the incident as cruel and unwarranted and warned that the Force will no longer tolerate any attack on its personnel or any member of the law enforcement community by any individual or group protesting under any guise.
The Delta State Police Command has reacted to the viral video of the alleged shooting of a young man in Ughelli, Delta State by the operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
Reacting to the post which said the young man was shot and left to die, the police debunked this claim, explaining that he sustained injuries after jumping from a moving car while trying to evade police arrest.
The Police spokesperson in Delta State, DSP Onome Onovwakpoyeya, explained that the victim was arrested with a White Lexus Jeep without registration, “parked by the roadside which on sighting police patrol team, the driver immediately zoomed off at high speed in a suspicious manner.”
Onovwakpoyeya said the police team gave the Lexus Jeep a hot chase and eventually intercepted the vehicle and arrested the two occupants.
“On their way to the station with the arrested suspects inside the police patrol vehicle, the suspect jumped out of the moving vehicle and sustained body and head injuries,” she added.
The police spokesperson said further that the police tried to rescue the victim but an angry mob came out to attack them, thereby forcing them to leave the scene to avoid a violent confrontation with the mob.
She concluded that “the patrol team immediately visited the victim at the hospital where he is still alive and recuperating.”
The police reaction follows Saturday’s outrage on Social media which was triggered by the viral video shared on Twitter with the post “a young boy dead at Ughelli, Delta state . . . in front of Wetland hotels. They left him for dead on the roadside and drove away with the deceased Lexus jeep,” by a user.
SARS just shot a young boy dead at Ughelli, Delta state as we speak. In front of Wetland hotels. They left him for dead on the road side and drove away with the deceased Lexus jeep.
The former governor of Delta State defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC) in August of 2018.
At the time, he said in a statement titled ‘Moving On To The Bigger Playing Field’, that he decided to join the ruling party because of the Muhammadu Buhari administration’s effort in tackling the crisis in the south-south region.
In 2019, Uduaghan went on to contest for the Delta South senatorial district but lost to James Manager.
The former governor and the APC challenged the result up until the appellate court but lost to his PDP opponent, Senator James Manager.
Delta Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, has deplored the increasing cases of COVID-19 in the state, saying it had become obvious that community transmission of the virus had reached an alarming and frightening proportion.
In a statement personally signed by him on Saturday, the governor said that it was regrettable that many persons still think that the coronavirus disease was a hoax.
According to him, if residents don’t take the necessary precautions as listed by the Federal Ministry of Health and the Nigeria Center for Disease Control, the state stands the risk of becoming another epicenter after Lagos State.
“It cannot be a hoax when over 20 persons have died including some prominent citizens.
“Therefore, I want to make a passionate appeal to all Deltans to please realise that the coronavirus disease is real,” he said, disclosing that as at Saturday, the number of confirmed cases of the virus in the state was 781.
According to him, on Thursday, June 25, 2020, Delta State recorded 106 cases, coming behind Lagos, the epicentre of the pandemic in the country.
The latest figures from the NCDC showed that on Friday, Delta State recorded 66 additional cases.
“This brings the total number of infected persons in the State so far to 781. The local governments mostly affected are Oshimili South (181), Warri South (128), Uvwie (112), Oshimili North (79), Ughelli North (74), Ethiope West (41), and Sapele (66),” Okowa stated.
He explained that “the State Government allowed normal business activities to go on in essential sectors of the economy to enable citizens take care of their families. It does not in any way suggest that the danger is over.
“We made this decision with all sense of responsibility while counting on your partnership with the Government to defeat this virus. Regrettably, it does appear our people have not taken this matter as seriously as they should.
“Our isolation centres are currently overwhelmed with the number of cases and unless we proactively and collectively take drastic actions to reverse the trend, we stand the risk of becoming another epicentre for the pandemic.
“In the absence of a specific curative drug, the only way to check the transmission of the virus is for all of us to adhere strictly to the NCDC-issued guidelines and safety protocols, which are as follows:
-Stay at home as much as possible. Only go out if it is essential for you to do so.
-If you must go out, please ensure that you maintain about six feet distance from other persons. This is because the virus is transmitted through droplets – either due to coughing, sneezing, or talking – of an infected person.
-Wear face masks once you are outside your home. This will shield you from droplets from a carrier.
-Avoid crowds and large gatherings as much as possible.
-Wash your hands with soap and running water for at least 20 seconds as often as possible. If this is not readily available, make sure you have a potable alcohol-based hand sanitizer to rub your hands.
-Refrain from touching your face with unwashed hands, especially outside your home.
-Avoid hugs and handshakes.
“My dear Deltans, this is a clarion call to arms. We must brace up and take responsibility for our collective health and safety now.
“It is very worrisome that many of our people still walk the streets without wearing a face mask or even observing physical/social distancing.”
The governor ordered that henceforth, banks, supermarkets, malls, stores, salons, and motorists must admit limited persons per time and strictly enforce the physical/social distancing rule.
“In addition to providing hand wash stations/alcohol-based sanitizers, banks, salons, supermarkets, stores, and malls must deny entry to patrons without facemasks. Where there is more than one person, occupants of private vehicles MUST also wear face masks.
“The number of guests at social events – weddings, funerals, traditional marriages – should not exceed 50 with appropriate physical distance set in place. People without face masks MUST be turned back. I also implore our religious houses to implement all the safety protocols as agreed.
“Residents in the most affected local governments – Oshimili South, Warri South, Uvwie, Oshimili North, Ughelli North, Ethiope West, and Sapele – are particularly advised to be on red alert.
“Let me emphasise once again that the coronavirus disease is real, and anybody can contact it. It is neither a rich man’s nor a poor man’s disease. Anybody can be affected.
“I call on every resident in the State to act responsibly to protect yourself and others, and do not forget to continue praying for God’s merciful intervention to stop this raging pandemic.
As parts of efforts to combat the ravaging coronavirus pandemic and its attendant hunger, the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), has kicked off the distribution of medical equipment and food palliatives to the 25 Local Government Areas of Delta State.
Flagging off the distribution at Iwhrekeka Community, Ughelli South Council Area, the Acting Managing Director of NDDC, Professor Daniel Pondei, said that the COVID-19 pandemic created health emergency and pangs of hunger the world over, particularly in the Niger Delta region.
Professor Pondei, who was represented by the Delta State Director of the Commission, Mr Gochua Okejoto, said that with the rising cases of the pandemic in Nigeria, there was need for all hands to be on deck to fight the virus with all available resources.
The NDDC Acting Managing Director further disclosed that the Commission in response to the directive of President Muhammadu Buhari, committed funds to aid the fight across the region under its Emergency Support for Health and Social Programme.
He thanked the Delta State Governor, Dr Ifeanyi Okowa for his commitment to ensuring that the medical supplies and food items got to the indigent and vulnerable persons in the State.
The NDDC boss said that mechanism had been put in place to ensure that the food palliative got to the right people across the state.
Professor Pondei noted that the medical supplies included special diagnostic and critical care equipment such as ventilators, adding that the equipment would be distributed to the Central Hospital, Warri, Central Hospital, Ughelli and the Teaching Hospital, Oghara.
He advised the people of Delta State to listen and obey the precautionary measures given by governments towards conquering the COVID-19 pandemic, noting that Corona Virus was real.
The Delta State Commissioner for Special Duties, Mr Mofe Pirah, represented by Mr Emmanuel Amiwero, thanked NDDC for complementing the efforts of the state government at mitigating the spread and the negative impact of the Corona Virus pandemic on Deltans.
Also, the Chairman of the NDDC COVID-19 Distribution Committee for Delta State, Sir Bishop Oruefe thanked President Muhammadu Buhari, the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Senator Godswill Akpabio and the Interim Management Committee of the NDDC for meeting the needs of the grassroots in the region.
A youth leader from the Ijaw nation, Barrister Pele Dimebide also thanked President Buhari and the IMC of the NDDC for its intervention at this critical time.
Two top officials in the Delta State Government have tested positive to COVID-19.
The Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Olisa Ifeajika, who made this known in a statement in Asaba, named the officials as Secretary to the State Government, Mr Chiedu Ebie and Commissioner for Information, Mr Charles Aniagwu.
Herdsmen resident in Oshimili North Local Government Area of Delta State have been issued a seven-day ultimatum to vacate bushes they are residing in the council.
This is following an executive order given to them by the Local Government Chairman, Louis Ndukwe.
The executive order directs the herders to vacate the bushes within seven days or have their structures demolished.
Oshimili North local government plays host to a handful of Fulani herders. The local government Chairman, however notes that the decision to evict the herders is due to the increasing rate of kidnapping, killing, maiming among other crimes and security challenges.
“The ultimatum is a seven-day ultimatum. That doesn’t mean that some amendments or waivers would not be given. Or extension of time but the important thing to note is that we will come down heavily on defaulters.
“We have agreed with traditional rulers and stakeholders. We have informed the police and other security agencies.
“What we are saying is enough is enough. We don’t want to accommodate anybody in our bushes anymore. It’s about the security of our people.
“If you want to live in Oshimili Local Government, buy a piece of land and stop living in bushes,” the local government chairman told Channels Television.
Unsatisfied with this directive, the herders took to Benin-Asaba highway in protest.
The herders including men, women and children carried placards with various inscriptions insisting they are not criminals but law-abiding citizens who were born in Delta State.
Their spokesperson, Idris Abubakar, said they are legal occupants of Oshimili and they pay rents.
“The Federal Government should come to our aid so they can allow us stay as legal occupants. The government should come to our aid and halt the local Government Chairman from passing this so-called executive order.
“Whoever is living in any place is a legal occupant of that place. We have receipts that they gave to us. We pay tenancy each year,” Abubakar said.
The Local Government Chairman, Ndukwe, in response to the protesters insists that the plan is not to victimise any tribe or persons but to rid the bushes of criminals who have used the bushes to perpetrate crimes.
Delta state on Saturday confirmed its third case of COVID-19, according to Governor Ifeanyi Okowa,
Okowa, who disclosed the news in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Olisa Ifeajika, said the patient was diagnosed in Asaba and is currently being managed by healthcare professionals in an isolation centre.
He added that the sample of the case was taken to Irrua Specialist Hospital in Edo, and returned positive.
“The patient is currently in a good state and responding to treatment; and we have already began to track all those that have had contact with him,” Okowa said.
“I am pleased to report that the patient is in stable condition and is responding well to treatment from our team of medical professionals,” he said.
The Governor said the third case reinforced the need for social distancing and a lockdown.
“In consonance with the rules and according to international best practices as enunciated by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), the state government urges Deltans, especially Christians to worship from home as the lockdown order is still in force,” he said.
“We thank Deltans for their support so far and urge them to continue to obey relevant instructions as it has become apparent that the virus is spreading in the state.
“We will continue to partner the Federal Government on effective implementation of its regulations on measures to curtail further spread of the virus in our state and country.”