Gombe Assembly Deputy Speaker Impeached

 

The Deputy Speaker of Gombe State House of Assembly, Shaiubu Adamu Haruna, has been impeached.

Haruna was removed by 21 out of the 24 members of the House during Tuesday’s plenary at the legislative chamber of the Assembly in Gombe, the state capital.

A file photo of Mr Shaiubu Haruna

READ ALSO: Appeal Court Affirms Tribunal’s Ruling, Says Nasarawa Governor Duly Elected

 

 

The embattled deputy speaker was removed from office for allegedly disobeying an internal order to boycott all executive functions.

The lawmakers, thereafter, elected Mr Sidi Buba who represents Kwami West State Constituency as the new deputy speaker.

A file photo of Mr Sidi Buba

 

 

The motion to impeach the former deputy speaker was moved by Adamu Pata, the member representing Yamaltu East State Constituency in the House.

It was also seconded by the member representing Billiri West State Constituency, Tulfugut Kardi.

According to sources at the Assembly Complex, the former deputy speaker reportedly attended the swearing-in ceremony for commissioners.

They claimed that this was after the House agreed that all lawmakers should boycott all state functions of the executive.

The embattled deputy speaker was also accused of being more loyal to the state governor than the leadership of the Assembly.

One Dead, Vehicles Burnt In Gombe Diesel Tanker Explosion

Firefighters assisted by volunteers putting out the tanker fire on Wednesday in Gombe State.

 

One person was killed on Wednesday after a tanker fully loaded with diesel exploded in Gombe State.

The accident occurred around 10:30 am in Tunfure, along Gombe Bauchi express road after a vehicle crashed into the tanker, killing a motorcyclist in the process.

A survivor of the incident, Pamela Manza explained that some people tried to rescue the motorcyclist, but the effort was futile because of the severity of the fire.

READ ALSO: Federal University Wukari Shut Down Over Alleged Kidnap Of Tiv Students

A motorist, Usman Ibrahim said the accident was caused by a vehicle parked on the road illegally. According to Ibrahim, the vehicle has been parked at a particular spot for over three months.

Meanwhile, officials of fire service and other security agencies were seen at the scene of the incident battling the inferno, while also controlling human and vehicular traffic.

Gombe State has witnessed two similar incidences in May this year, where about 18 people died.

FAAN Withdraws Services From Gombe, Kebbi Airports Over Debt

 

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) has withdrawn its services from Gombe, Kebbi airports over debt.

The airport authority said on Thursday that it is withdrawing its aviation security, aerodrome rescue and fire-fighting personnel from both states airports over N732m indebtedness.

READ ALSO: Buhari Asks Journalists To Be Fair, Accurate While Reporting

According to FAAN, the Gombe state-owned airport owes N607. 9 million, while Kebbi airport is owing N124. 5 million.

The authority noted that it had earlier in April threatened to withdraw services from the airports and others indebted to the agency and had given them a deadline of April 30 to clear their outstanding debts.

FAAN said the withdrawal of its services from both airports, which had technically grounded flight operations took effect from midnight of May 1, 2019.

Gombe Govt Reviews Curfew After Attack

Gombe Governorship Election Tribunal Receives Three Petitions

 

The Gombe State Government has reviewed the imposed curfew in the state capital from 6pm to 6am.

The review followed the tension experienced in the state on Sunday night.

A statement signed by the Acting Secretary to the state government, James Pisajih, says “Some hoodlums are taking advantage of government good intention in relapsing the curfew to intimidate innocent citizens and destroy property” hence the review of the time of the curfew.

“The curfew will remain enforced until normalcy returns to the state”.

READ ALSOGovt Imposes Curfew On Gombe Metropolis

Mr Pisajih urged security operatives to ensure strict compliance, and effective surveillance on flash points. It also call on traditional, community and religious leaders to enlightened their followers on the need to allow peace to reign in the state.

However, the Police Commissioner Bello Makwashi, has assured residents that the police are on top of the matter.

The state government had on April 27, 2019, imposed a curfew within the state capital.

Mr Pisajih who announced the curfew said the government ordered the restriction of movement in the state capital after consultations with the heads of security agencies in Gombe.

 

Victims Of Gombe Easter Killings Laid To Rest Amid Tears

 

The slain members of the Boys and Girls Brigade in Gombe State have been laid to rest.

A funeral service was conducted in their honour on Saturday at the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) Centre in Gombe, the state capital.

In attendance were members of the families of the nine victims and hundreds of sympathisers who paid tributes to them.

The deputy governor of the state, Charles Iliya, was also at the event in company with some government officials in the state.


RELATED
Govt Imposes Curfew On Gombe Metropolis
Buhari Condemns Gombe Killings, Condoles With Victims’ Families
Civil Defence Officer, Nine Others Killed Following Squabble In Gombe


Shortly after the service, the nine members of the brigade were buried amid tears at the cemetery along the Gombe – Yobe Road.

Earlier, some members of the brigade and other youths held a procession in the state capital to honour their slain colleagues.

There was, however, tension as another group of people intercepted the demonstrators and prevented them from continuing with the procession.

The incident turned violent but was later brought to calm following the intervention of security operatives.

The victims, aged between 11 and 21, were killed following a dispute between members of the brigade and a security operative while on a procession to mark Easter.

See photos below:

Govt Imposes Curfew On Gombe Metropolis Indefinitely

President Buhari Mourns As Murdered Boys Brigade Members Are Buried

Buhari Condemns Gombe Killings, Condoles With Victims' Families
A file photo of President Muhammadu Buhari

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has condoled with families and friends of slain members of the Boys and Girls Brigade in Gombe who were buried earlier today.

The nine youths were killed following a dispute between members of the brigade and a security operative while on a procession to celebrate the Easter in the state.

In a statement by Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media & Publicity, Garba Shehu on Saturday, Mr Buhari said his heart is filled with pain that the families had to face the pain of burying their promising youngsters.

READ ALSO: Govt Imposes Curfew On Gombe Metropolis

He consoled them with the fact that the entire nation is in mourning.

“My heart is filled with the pain that the families of the victims were facing as they buried these promising youngsters. The entire nation is with you as experience this sad, indescribable loss. May the Almighty God comfort you at this difficult time.”

The President also expressed shock over reports of tensions which led the state government to impose a curfew.

He directed security agencies in the state to ensure that vigilance is maintained.

Govt Imposes Curfew On Gombe Metropolis

Govt Imposes Curfew On Gombe Metropolis

 

The Gombe State government has imposed a curfew within the state capital.

The acting Secretary to the State Government, James Pisajih, announced the restriction in a statement on Saturday.

He explained that the decision became following the breakdown of law and order in the metropolis.

READ ALSO: Victims Of Gombe Easter Killing Laid To Rest Amid Tears

Pisajih said the government ordered the restriction of movement in the state capital after consultations with the heads of security agencies in Gombe.

According to him, the curfew will last from 3 pm on Saturday to 6 am on Sunday while the situation will be reviewed thereafter.

The Secretary to the State Government, however, noted that only those on essential duties with proof would be allowed any form of movement.

Violence broke out in the state capital as the bodies of the slain nine members of the Boys and Girls Brigade in the state were to be buried.

Some members of the brigade and other youths had staged a procession in the metropolis to honour their slain colleagues.

In the process, another group of people intercepted the demonstrators and prevented them from continuing with the procession.

The incident turned violent but was later brought to calm following the intervention of security operatives.

Read the full statement by the government below:

After due consultations with the Heads of Security Agencies in the state in response to the prevailing security situation in the state, especially Gombe metropolis, His Excellency, Dr Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo OON (Talban Gombe), the Governor, has approved the imposition of curfew in Gombe metro with immediate effect (3pm) today 27th April 2019 to 6am tomorrow 28th April 2019. The situation will be reviewed after the restoration of normalcy.

By my Paragraph I above, therefore, only officials on essential services are allowed any form of movement, and must produce evidence of such.

James Pisajih (JP)

Ag. Secretary to the State Government

27th April 2019.

See more photos below:

Govt Imposes Curfew On Gombe Metropolis Indefinitely

Killings: Time Has Come For The Church To Defend Itself – Rev Nicholas Okoh

 

The Primate of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican communion) the Most Rev Nicholas Okoh has said that the time has come for the church to defend itself from further attacks.

Most Rev Nicholas Okoh’s statement was made in reaction to the recent bombing in Sri Lanka which led to the death of over three hundred worshipers.

Rev Okoh said, “The bomb in Sri Lanka is part of terrorism in the world, it is a coordinated effort of evil people, we pray we don’t have it again, but more importantly we should make arrangements to protect ourselves.”

READ ALSO: Kajuru Attack: FG Sends Security Operatives After Killers Of Nigerian, Briton

In a similar vein, Reverend Okoh condemned the killing of nine members of the boys brigade in Gombe state during an Easter procession, describing it as unfortunate.

“It is unfortunate that such a thing should happen on Easter Day. It also shows that our country has not arrived, that people tolerate others.

“People are marching, showing joy, showing happiness and somebody decides to crush them and kill so many for no reason.

“We pray that we will not live like that again, and look forward to a better Nigeria; Nigeria that will be transformed, that has hope and a place for everybody, whatever your tribe.”

Buhari Condemns Gombe Killings, Condoles With Victims’ Families

Buhari Condemns Gombe Killings, Condoles With Victims' Families
A file photo of President Muhammadu Buhari

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the killing of some Christian youths during an Easter procession in Gombe State.

He was also sad about the reprisal killing of a law enforcement official allegedly responsible for the tragic incident which occurred on Sunday at Alheri Junction on Biu Road in the state capital.

The incident took place following a dispute between an officer of the National Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and members of the State’s Boys’ Brigade on a procession to mark Easter.

READ ALSO: Civil Defence Officer, Nine Others Killed Following Squabble In Gombe

In a statement on Tuesday by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, the President described the violence as “very unfortunate.”

He also extended condolences to the families of the victims and wished the several people injured speedy recovery.

President Buhari further joined the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Gombe State chapter, and the state government in appealing for calm.

He decried the reckless driving as well as “quick resort to self-help and mob action”.

“We must always be mindful of the peaceful action of others while resisting the urge to take the laws into our hands notwithstanding the gravity of provocation,” said the President.

He, however, commended the leadership of the police and NSCDC for steps taken in bringing the situation under control.

The President promised further investigations into the sad incident and prayed that the Almighty God comforts the bereaved families and grant rest to the souls of the departed victims.

Civil Defence Officer, Nine Others Killed Following Squabble In Gombe

Gombe Governorship Election Tribunal Receives Three Petitions

 

Easter celebrations turned sour within the Gombe metropolis, after a squabble between a Civil Defense Officer and members of the State’s Boys’ Brigade on a procession to mark Easter, led to the death of ten people, leaving over thirty others hospitalized.

According to an official of the Boys’ Brigade, Solomon Ibrahim, an NSCDC official named Adamu Abubakar met the procession while passing along Alheri Junction, Biu Road, Gombe.

Ibrahim claimed that after exchanging words with the youths, Abubakar who had a friend in his car,  drove past the Boys’ Brigade procession line, switched off his car’s headlight and rammed into the young persons from behind, killing eight persons on the spot.

The Boys’ Brigade official further claimed that over thirty other persons were left with various degrees of injuries and are currently receiving medical attention at three different hospitals.

READ ALSO: Extrajudicial Killing: Police Confirm Death Of Man In Ogun, Begin Investigation

He revealed that some other angry members of the procession lynched the two occupants of the vehicle (the NSCDC official and a friend yet to be identified).

Meanwhile, the state Deputy Governor Mr Charles Iliya, and Reverend Abare Kalla, the chairman Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) Northeast, were at the hospital and they called on the Christian community to remain calm as security operatives are on the matter.

The State Police Commissioner, Bello Makwashi who confirmed the incidenct via phone, called on the public to be calm and avoid all violent acts.

He said “as soon as I got the information, I quickly mobilized and moved to the scene, I was personally involved in evacuating the victims to the hospital, and I ensured that security was guaranteed before leaving, my cloth was completely stained with blood. The situation was bad but we are on top of the
matter”.

Several Injured As Tanker Somersaults In Gombe

 

Several persons have been reportedly injured as a gas-laden tanker was involved in an accident along the Gombe-Biu bypass. The same spot where 16 people were killed as a tanker exploded barely a week ago.

No death has been recorded so far in the recent accident but victims have been rushed to the hospital.

READ ALSO: Death Toll In Gombe Petrol Tanker Explosion Rises To 16

As at the time of the report, no official statement has been issued.

But some people were seen using a pumping machine to extract the gaseous content into drums.

Vehicular movements have been halted in a bid to contain the accident.

Details shortly…