COVID-19: Two Islamic Clerics Arraigned In Kaduna For Defying Ban On Large Gatherings

A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria's North-Central region.
A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria’s North-Central region.

 

The Kaduna State Government has arraigned two Islamic clerics before a Chief Magistrate court sitting in the state capital for defying the ban on large gathering and not complying with the 24-hour curfew imposed across the state.

The two Imam’s and their followers were arrested last week Friday while they were holding congregational service with their members contrary to the existing directive on social distancing in order to contain the spread of COVID-19 in the state.

READ ALSO: Nigeria Confirms 20 New Coronavirus Cases

They were however arraigned on Monday before a Kaduna State Chief Magistrate Court on two counts of criminal conspiracy and disobedience to lawful order as enshrined in sections 59 and 115 of the penal code of Kaduna State.

Due to their unknown status of whether positive or negative to COVID-19, the Chief Magistrate, Ibrahim Musa granted the defendants bail in the sum of N1million each and two sureties in like sum.

He also ruled that the sureties must be related to the defendants, must show evidence of being residents of Kaduna State and also show proof of ownership of land titles.

The court, however, adjourned the case to April 21 and 29 for hearing and ordered that the defendants will remain the custody of the police pending when they fulfill their bail conditions.

Kaduna Imposes Curfew Over Coronavirus

Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai

 

In a bid to curb the spread of the coronavirus in Kaduna, the state government has announced a 24-hour curfew till further notice.

Beginning midnight of Thursday, residents are ordered to stay inside their homes from dusk to dawn, according to the state Deputy Governor, Hadiza Balarabe during a state broadcast.

READ ALSO: Nigerians Are Not Giving Us The Deserved Support To Fight Coronavirus – Lai Mohammed

The decision to impose curfew according to her is due to the Unsatisfactory compliance level to the ban on the commercial tricycle and motorcycle operators and restriction on large gatherings by large section the residents.

She lists those excluded from the curfew to include health workers and other emergency officials.

COVID-19: Kaduna Govt Begins Fumigation Of Markets

A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria's North-Central region.
A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria’s North-Central region.

 

The Kaduna State Government has commenced fumigating all markets across the state in an effort to stop the spread of Coronavirus in the state.

This follows the closure of all markets with the exemption of those selling food items and medicals on the orders on the orders of the state governor, Mr Nasir El-Rufai.

After enforcing the closure of all shops that deal with non-essential stuff, officials of the state Market Development Agency with other taskforce team members began the exercise on Wednesday.

READ ALSO: Coronavirus: Sule, Obaseki And Fayemi Go Into Self-Isolation

The fumigation of the markets kicked off with Sheikh Abubakar Gumi Market in the state capital.

Governor El-Rufai visited the market to monitor compliance with the earlier directive that all shops that deal with non-essential stuff must be closed to protect people against COVID-19.

Three Suspected Cases Test Negative For Coronavirus In Kaduna

A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria's North-Central region.
A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria’s North-Central region.

 

The Kaduna State government has said that the three suspected cases of coronavirus have tested negative for the virus.

Giving an update at a news conference on Tuesday, the Commissioner for Health in the state, Dr Amina Mohammed-Baloni, said the three suspected cases upon their return into the country isolated themselves for 14 days.

According to her, the Ministry of Health processed their blood samples of the three people who returned from the UK and Egypt, and the results came out negative.

She also disclosed that a 24-hour call centre is being put in place to avail information to the populace, in addition to the existing emergency lines.

READ ALSO: Sanwo-Olu Orders Closure Of Lagos Markets

The commissioner explained that so far, the emergency committee on COVID-19 has developed a preparedness plan and has undertaken an assessment of the Infectious Disease Control Centre (IDCC).

While stressing that the state has no case of coronavirus, Mohammed-Baloni explained that the IDCC has been equipped with specialised equipment like ventilator, oxygen concentrators and monitors.

She also asked all residents of the state to stay calm and ensure they observe the prevention steps that are being publicised on all credible media platforms.

COVID-19: Kaduna Asks Residents To Observe Hygiene, Maintain Social Distancing

Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai with his deputy, Hadiza Balarabe hold a meeting on February 24, 2020 over the coronavirus pandemic. Credit: @elrufai

 

The Kaduna State government has asked residents of the state to observe basic hygiene in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

In a statement issued on Saturday, the Commissioner of Health, Dr Amina Mohammed-Baloni, said the move is necessary to prevent a further spread of the disease.

“Residents should wash their hands frequently with soap and water or alcohol-based sanitizers,” the statement read in part.

Mohammed-Baloni advised that people of the state maintain social distancing, by keeping at least two meters apart from other people, avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.

READ ALSO: Imo Govt Shuts Down All Tertiary Institutions, Schools

She also wants them to practise respiratory hygiene by covering the nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing and sneezing and dispose of the tissue immediately in a covered bin.

According to the commissioner, there is a need for returnees affected countries to embark on self-isolation for a specific period.

In the event of any suspected case of COVID-19 in the state, the government asked residents to report such suspicions to the following numbers: 08025088304, 08032401473, 08035871662 and 08037808191.

“All travellers from affected countries should self-isolate for a period of 14 days and report any symptom of cough, fever or difficulty in breathing,” she said.

She further explained that health workers have been trained following the case management protocols of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

The commissioner recalled that an Emergency Operations Committee (EOC), comprising all relevant stakeholders, was set up on February 28, adding that it meets twice weekly to review progress.

Reacting to the three persons who recently returned from the United Kingdom and Egypt, Mohammed-Baloni noted that the government is monitoring the situation.

While explaining that the returnees are in self-isolation, she said they have shown no symptoms of the disease.

Kaduna CAN Directs Members To Suspend Church Activities

A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria's North-Central region.
A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria’s North-Central region.

 

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) chapter in Kaduna state has directed its members to suspend all church activities involving large gathering for the meantime in order to reduce the spread of the coronavirus pandemic in the country.

The state chairman, Reverend Joseph Hayab, who gave the advice in a statement, called on churches to shorten the duration of services by holding brief services, unless necessary.

He advocated on the need to enlighten church members about the virus and some of the preventive measures they should adopt in order not to contract the disease.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Reps Asks FG To Stop Open Worship

He asked all churches to provide hand sanitizers at the entrance of the church so that those coming for service will apply before going into the church.

According to Rev. Hayab, CAN will be happy to have health workers to come to Church premises with genuine equipment to test worshippers, while also asking them to minimise handshakes and hugs to help fight the spread of the virus”.

While CAN says it believes in the efficacy of prayers, it also notes that it will not be proper for a pastor to tell his members to come for prayers and special anointing only without doing what is needful such as the washing of hands regularly, keeping required distance to avoid contacts that may lead to being infected by the virus.

“The challenge of coronavirus is now a global epidemic and many countries in diverse continents have recorded cases of the virus.

“The church in Nigeria, therefore, should not be ignorant of this global pandemic. The church, as a school of faith, which is known for having large gatherings for church services, wedding, burial, prayer meetings, crusades and revival services must endeavour to join forces with government and health workers to stop the spread of this virus.

“Our role must not just be to pray but we must be seen taking concrete steps for the well being of our flocks and the country at large.

“Accordingly, CAN Kaduna State, therefore, wishes to appeal to all Pastors and Church leaders to read through official guidelines and information about the virus, then tell their members.

“On the spread of the virus, social media platforms have so many unverified information that can be misleading, hence, let us make use of information available from the Ministry of Health and other recognized government agencies”.

The statement further assured that CAN will work with the government and their health agencies to educate and mobilize Nigerians in fighting the virus, believing that with the right information and proper guidance from all leaders and stakeholders, they can reduce the spread of this virus.

The religious body also called on the President not to allow anyone to play politics with this serious challenge but to assemble qualified experts to develop simple messages for transmission and distribution at places of worship, motor parks, airports, schools and in every gathering.

Air Force Kills Several Armed Bandits In Kaduna

 

The Nigerian Air Force says its airstrikes have killed several armed bandits at Walawa, Yadi and Kuduru hills in Kaduna State.

In a statement issued on Wednesday by the Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, some of their logistics supplies were destroyed in the process.

This follows a special operation conducted in coordination with the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies to smoke out the bandits.

Daramola explained that the operation was carried out “after credible intelligence reports and days of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions revealed that the bandits, after driving away from the original inhabitants of the area, had continued to operate from the locations with impunity.”

READ ALSO: NYSC Suspends Ongoing Orientation Course

“The NAF detailed its attack aircraft to conduct series of air raids at the bandits’ camps resulting in the destruction of some of the logistics facilities and structures housing the armed bandits as well as the neutralization of several of them.

“The airstrikes also paved the way for ground forces to conduct mop-up operations, supported by NAF combat helicopters.

“In all, no fewer than 5 commanders of Ansaru and a dozen armed bandits were neutralized in the operation,” the statement read in part.

Daramola also reiterated the commitment of the Air Force to flush the armed bandits out of the Northwest region.

See photos below:

Bandits Kidnap Four People, Kill Former Lawmaker’s Driver In Kaduna

Chief Imam’s Son, Two Others Kidnapped In Ogun Community

 

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted four people including a one and half-year-old baby along the Birnin Gwari-Kaduna Highway in Kaduna state.

The three other victims who are students were said to be returning from Kaduna to Birnin Gwari after writing the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination organized last Saturday by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board(JAMB) when they were kidnapped by the bandits.

The Kaduna State Police Command spokesman, ASP Muhammad Jalige, while confirming the incident to Channels Television, disclose that the bandits also killed the driver of a former member of the House of Representatives on the spot.

He, however, said that a combined team of mobile policemen and anti-kidnapping squad of the command have been deployed to Birnin Gwari to help in rescuing the kidnapped victims and also apprehending the bandits

Sanusi Gets Another Kaduna Govt Appointment As KASU Chancellor

Former Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II (file photo).

 

 

The deposed Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, has gotten another appointment from the Kaduna State government.

In a statement from Sir Kashim Ibrahim House on Wednesday, the government named Sanusi as the Chancellor of the Kaduna State University (KASU).

According to the statement signed by the governor’s media aide, Muyiwa Adekeye, the former Emir succeeds the pioneer Chancellor of the university and the Chief of Moro’a, Tagwai Sambo, who was appointed to the role in 2005.

It said,

“On behalf of the government and people of Kaduna State, Malam Nasir El-Rufai is delighted to appoint His Highness, Muhammadu Sanusi II as the Chancellor of the Kaduna State University. In public life, His Highness has demonstrated a strong commitment to education.

“The Kaduna State Government has no doubt that as Chancellor, His Highness Muhammadu Sanusi, would provide symbolic and substantive leadership in raising the profile of KASU as an emerging centre of learning on the national and global level.”

READ ALSO: El-Rufai Appoints Deposed Kano Emir Into KADIPA Board

Adekeye noted that Sanusi’s appointment as Chancellor came at a time when KASU was transiting to a multi-campus structure with presence across the state.

He added that the governor thanked the pioneer Chancellor of the institution for the long years of distinguished service to KASU and the state.

El-Rufai, according to him, welcomes the consent of Sanusi to serve as chancellor of KASU and as Vice-Chairman of the board of the Kaduna Investment and Promotions Agency (KADIPA).

The statement added,

“The Kaduna State Government is grateful that HH Muhammadu Sanusi II continues to support and assist the realisation of the governance objectives of the Kaduna State Government.”

Gunmen Kill Ex-Soldier, Kidnap Four Others In Kaduna

A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria's North-Central region.
A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria’s North-Central region.

 

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have killed a retired soldier and abducted four others from their homes at Mahuta area of Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna state.

The spokesman of Kaduna state Police Command, ASP Muhammad Jalige told Channels Television that he is yet to get the number of victims and casualties from the attack.

However, an eyewitness confirmed that one of the victims kidnapped is a pregnant woman.

The attackers were said to have invaded Mahuta community on Tuesday started shooting sporadically to create panic and in the process killed a retired soldier right inside his house, and thereafter, whisked four other people including a pregnant woman away.

Also in neighboring state Zamfara, no fewer than 10 persons including four women and six men were also kidnapped yesterday by bandits at Kawaye village in Anka Local Government Area of the State.

While the police authorities say they are still gathering information about the incident, a member of a local vigilante group in the area said that the bandits came in large numbers and started shooting in different directions, thereby forcing residents to flee into nearby bushes.

In the ensuing confusion, the gunmen later took away 10 members of the community to an unknown destination, while those that fled their homes are yet to return for fear of being killed or kidnapped.

IGP Declares Bandits In North West As Boko Haram, ISWAP Members

 

The Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Mohammed Adamu, says bandits in North West are Boko Haram and ISWAP members.

He made the declaration in Kaduna on Thursday, during a meeting with top Police Commanders over recent attacks in the state.

The IGP stated that the reinforced attacks need new war strategies geared towards eliminating the bandits from their hideouts in the nook and crannies of the zone.

The police boss said it is important to ensure that peace and security are restored while imploring the officers to show commitment in the fight against criminality in the region.

READ ALSO: Kano Assembly Receives Petition To Investigate Emir Sanusi

The IGP’s meeting with top police commanders follows Sunday’s attack by bandits in five villages in Giwa and Igabi local government areas of Kaduna state by where no fewer than 51 people were killed and several others injured.

Channels Television reported that during a visit to some of the affected villages, Governor Nasir El-Rufai vowed to wipe out bandits in Kaduna state.

He insisted that his administration will not succumb to granting the bandits amnesty.

Governor El-Rufai apologised to the villagers on behalf of his government for failing to protect them, while assuring them that troops of the Nigerian military will be stationed in the villages to provide adequate security.

Kaduna Attack: El-Rufai Vows To Wipe Out Bandits As Death Toll Rises

Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, visits villages in Giwa Local Government Area where over 50 people were killed by gunmen who invaded communities on Sunday.

 

Governor Nasir El-Rufai has vowed to wipe out bandits in Kaduna state as the death toll from communities attacked rises to 51.

Gunmen suspected to be bandits attacked some villages in Igabi and Giwa local government areas of the State on Sunday, shooting sporadically and burning down houses and vehicles.

Sources said that the bandits launched the attacks in what seems like revenge against the villagers who they accused of providing information to security agencies.

RELATED: At Least 30 Killed As Gunmen Attack Kaduna Villages

 

Photo of some vehicles and motorcycles burnt by bandits in Kaduna state on Sunday.

 

During a visit to some of the affected villages on Monday, Governor El-Rufai insisted that his administration will not succumb to granting the bandits amnesty.

He assured the villagers that troops of the Nigerian military will be stationed in the villages to provide adequate security.

However, the villagers told Governor El-Rufai that the bandits are believed to have come from Katsina state to attack them.