COVID-19: Ogun Government Bans High-Density Gatherings

 

Further to measures so far taken to ramp up its efforts to contain the spread of the coronavirus, the Ogun State Government has banned high-density gatherings.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Ogun government said it found expedient to announce some additional measures including an immediate ban of all high-density gatherings that would bring together 50 or more persons in the same place, such as social clubs, halls, cinemas, night clubs, restaurants, cafes, and sports arenas.

According to the statement by Chief Press Secretary to the Governor of Ogun State, Kunle Somorin, this measure will be in effect for the next 30 days in the first instance.

READ ALSO: Lagos State Bans Religious Gathering Of Over 50 People

Mr Somorin further stated that this restriction has to be enforced without prejudice to people’s fundamental rights to association and movement because the safety of the people and their welfare are priorities that cannot be toyed with.

He assured that the Government will continue to engage all the stakeholders, including religious leaders to sensitise the populace on the need to maintain social distancing and collective effort to combat this pandemic.

“The Government will continue the surveillance initiatives and intensify sensitisation onCOVID-19.

“This is more so given the peculiarity of its location as the Nation’s Gateway State and its industrial capital. Our epidemiologists and other health workers are working round the clock with Federal agencies and international development agencies to stop the spread of coronavirus.

“In view of the recent confirmed cases in the country, Governor Abiodun reassures the populace that no stone will be left unturned to ensure that the state is prepared at all times to respond appropriately. He further encourages people to maintain a high level of suspicion and report any suspected case to the appropriate authorities,” the statement partly read.

Abule Ado Explosion: Governor Abiodun Commiserates With Victims, Lagos State Govt

Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, briefing journalists about the recent development of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the state where 28 persons have been identified and quarantined.

 

The governor of Ogun State, Dapo Abiodun, has commiserated with the people and government of Lagos State over the unfortunate explosion that claimed scores of lives in Lagos yesterday.

The pipeline explosion, which occurred in Abule-Ado, resulted in the loss of lives and destruction of properties.

Governor Abiodun, in a personal condolence message, sympathised with the families of dead persons, including children and persons who lost properties in the inferno.

READ ALSO: Sanwo-Olu, Hamzat Visit Abule-Ado Explosion Scene

Gov Abiodun emphasised the importance of personal safety in “everything that we do, including where we build our houses, schools and do our businesses” said the disaster would have been averted “if safety rules had been kept”.

In the aftermath, Gov Abiodun urged residents and emergency response/management agencies to do the needful at the disaster site to rescue victims trapped in the rubble and distribute protective equipment.

He also asked them to make the best use of available gear to protect themselves from harmful fumes, decrepit structures and other particles in the atmosphere.

Prince Dapo Abiodun commended the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwoolu, for his prompt response to the tragic incident, and the humanitarian support immediately deployed, which he said were useful to all relevant agencies that coordinated the rescue efforts.

179 Contacts On Isolation For Coronavirus Released In Lagos, Ogun

 

The Lagos State Government says all the one hundred and seventy-nine people on isolation who had contact with the coronavirus index case in Nigeria, have been released.

Out of the 179 people who had contact with the index case, 40 of them were quarantined in Ogun State while the rest of them were monitored in Lagos State.

According to the state Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, since the 179 contacts persons with the Italian had exceeded the mandatory 14 days isolation, they have been released because none of them developed any symptom of the disease.

Professor Abayomi said the index case still remains on admission, but still perfectly well.

READ ALSO: Nigeria’s Second Coronavirus Patient Tests Negative – Health Minister

However, the state government is still keeping him under isolation because he still has some secretion of the virus. And will conduct another test within 48 hours after and if he is still negative, we will set him free.

“We are close to discharging the index case, we want to be sure he poses no danger to society anymore.”

On the Nigerian who was initially tested positive to Coronavirus for being in contact with the index case, Abayomi said he had now been tested negative twice and might have been released by now.

He said those isolated in Ogun State have been discharged. And the four children and their teacher quarantined have also been discharged as they all tested negative to the virus, as well as the man from the US who was earlier quarantined.

We Must Work And Pray For A Better Nigeria, Says Obasanjo

 

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has said all hands must be on deck to address security challenges in the country.

Speaking during a courtesy visit by a special envoy to the archbishop of Canterbury, Archbishop Justin Welby, in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, Obasanjo maintained that all Nigerians must work and pray to restore unity amongst all.

“There are so many areas in the world where attentions are needed for peace, equity, and justice. We just cannot as children of God, fold our hands where needs abound for us to do something.”

READ ALSO: Kaduna Attack: El-Rufai Vows To Wipe Out Bandits As Death Toll Rises

The former president, while narrating conversations with some African leaders recently, stressed that other countries on the continent see Nigeria as a big brother, but show worries that issues of unity and security haven’t been addressed.

“If you Nigeria cannot solve your security problem or unity, how can we look up to you for help”, Obasanjo quoted the worries of an African leader, but his response was; “help comes from God and we are looking up to God for help.

“We cannot fold our hands, we must work and pray, but I’m a very irredeemable optimist about Nigeria and the world. If we show love, I think all other human problems we can deal with,” he stated.

The envoy led by Bishop Precious Amuku brought a message of peace to the former president ahead of his 83rd birthday anniversary.

Prayers were offered to the former president for long life, peace in Nigeria, Africa and indeed the world.

Covid-19: Number Of Contact Cases In Ogun Rises To 39 

This handout illustration image obtained February 27, 2020 courtesy of the National Institutes of Health taken with a scanning electron microscope shows SARS-CoV-2 (round blue objects) emerging from the surface of cells cultured in the lab, SARS-CoV-2, also known as 2019-nCoV, is the virus that causes COVID-19, the virus shown was isolated from a patient in the US. Handout / National Institutes of Health / AFP

 

The government of Ogun state has received some basic health care items from the Nigerian centre for diseases control to be distributed to its emergency operating centres across the twenty local government areas.

This follows an increase of the number of contacts identified by Lafarge cement company to have had contact with the Italian citizen in Ewekoro to 39 from the 28 earlier announced by the state Ogun government.

READ ALSO: Left Behind But Not Broken – A Nigerian In Wuhan

The new figure was given by the Lafarge industrial director, Mr Segun Soyoye, during a visit by officials of the state government and other stakeholders.

An emergency operation committee comprising officials of the state government, the world health organization, and other critical stakeholders has also been set up to give daily updates on the disease.

Ogun Govt Promises To Improve Ease Of Doing Business

A file photo of Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun.

 

The Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, says his administration is introducing new measures and initiatives to promote the ease of doing business, attract more genuine investors and foreign direct investments into the state.

He gave the assurance while receiving the Minister of State for Mining and Steel Development, Uchechukwu Ogah at his office in Abeokuta, the state capital.

On his part, Ogah solicited for more synergy between the state and the federal government in the area of mineral development.

He, however, sounded a note of warning to illegal miners across the country, saying that it is not going to be business as usual in the sector.

Ogun Suspends Sale Of Amotekun Recruitment Form

 

The sale of forms for recruitment to individuals interested in joining the Southwest Security Network codenamed Amotekun has been temporarily suspended in Ogun State.

The sale of the form was earlier scheduled to commence on Monday in the state.

Coordinator of the security outfit in Ogun State, Taofeek Olawale said this was as a result of the need to harness modalities and logistics for a hitch-free registration of applicants in the state.

READ ALSO: Amotekun: South-East Govs Write FG On Plan To Establish Security Outfit

“The process is still ongoing. We believe in the rule of law and its supremacy. There is currently a synergy between the legislative and judiciary. We are trying to put everything on order. The Federal Government, particularly the Inspector General of Police will still be reached out,” he told Channels Television.

The coordinator warned prospective applicants to beware of fraudulent and unscrupulous people who may want to take advantage of the situation.

He called for the cooperation of prospective applicants noting that a new date for the sale of the form will be announced soon.

The security task force was recently launched by the six South-West governors with the aim of tackling kidnapping, banditry and other crimes in the region.

Three Killed In Ogun Road Accident

Elections: Ogun Govt Declares March 8, 11 Holiday For Schools

 

Three persons have been confirmed dead while 14 others are said to have sustained injuries in an accident that occurred around Saapade area along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

The spokesperson of the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps Babatunde Akinbiyi, confirmed the incident on Monday in Abeokuta, the state capital.

“The accident which occurred around 7:15 am, involved a Mazda bus marked AKD 53 XN that was travelling from Ibadan to Lagos and a Ford bus marked RGB 490 XA travelling from Lagos to Ikire,” he said.

“The accident occurred at a diversion area on the expressway, where the vehicles collided due to speeding and reckless driving.

“The eyewitness account posited that the driver of the Ford bus coming from Lagos to Ikire was among the three dead victims while the other two were among the passengers in the Mazda bus,”.

Akinbiyi further noted that the three corpses have been deposited at the FOS Mortuary, Ipara, while the injured victims were rushed to the hospital.

He also warned motorists to avoid over speeding and reckless driving, especially at diversion/construction areas and also urged them to keep to the 50km/h speed limit.

UPDATE: Ogun State Lassa Fever Patient Still Alive, Says Commissioner

Death Toll Rises To 75, As NCDC Confirms 355 Cases Of Lassa Fever
File photo

 

The Ogun State Government says no one has died in the state as a result of a Lassa Fever infection.

In a statement issued on Sunday, the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Tomi Coker, said although a Lassa Fever case was confirmed by the Ogun State Virology Laboratory on January 24, 2020, the patient is not dead.

The Public Relations Office of the hospital, Segun Orisajo, had earlier told Channels Television that the victim, a 26-year-old who had been diagnosed with the fever, had died.

But Coker explained that the patient, is a pregnant 29-year-old and she was first referred to the Federal Medical Center (FMC), Abeokuta.

Read Also: New Case Of Lassa Fever Confirmed In Jigawa

Thereafter, she was transferred to the Federal Specialist Hospital in Irua, Edo State because according to the doctors, the facilities there would provide her with the full benefits of multidisciplinary care required.

Meanwhile, Coker further stated that the Rapid Response Team has commenced line listing of all who have come into contact with the patient for surveillance purposes, including her relatives and hospital staff that managed the case.

She also assured members of the public that the state government acted proactively by putting all counter measures in place to contain the situation.

Urging residents to maintain proper hygiene, she stated that members of the public should avoid contact with rodents.

One of the ways to do that according to her could be by covering their food properly and also ensuring that food is properly heated before eating it.

“We have given thermometers to those who have been in contact with the patient to monitor their temperatures and also provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at the designated treatment center at Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital (OOUTH), Sagamu.

“Our health educators and officers have been deployed into action and are educating the public on ways to avoid being infected with Lassa Fever.

“Other emerging or suspected cases of viral hemorrhagic fevers are to be isolated in the designated quarantine areas for barriers nursing until a definitive diagnosis is concluded,” the statement read.

Man Allegedly Connives With Pastor To Kill Girlfriend For Rituals

 

 

A 23-year-old man, Adeeko Owolabi, has been arrested alongside a self-acclaimed pastor of a white garment church, Segun Philip, (aged 42) over the murder of a final year sociology student of the Lagos State University, Favour Daley-Oladele.

The deceased was reported to have left home to an unknown destination since the 8th of December 2019 and has not been seen since then.

Consequently, she was reported missing by her parents at the Mowe Police Station.

According to a statement signed by the Police Public Relations Officer, Commissioner Of Police, Ogun State Command, DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi, on receiving the report, the DPO Mowe division, SP Marvis Jayeola, detailed his crack detectives to unravel the mystery behind the sudden disappearance of the lady.

The detectives then went into full scale technical and forensic investigation of the case and their efforts paid off when the movement of the deceased was traced to a white garment church in Ikoyi-Ile, in Osun State.

Read Also: El-Zakzaky’s Fate Not In The Hands Of El-Rufai, IMN Tells FG

On getting to the church, the self-acclaimed pastor, was promptly arrested but he informed the detectives that the girl was brought to him by her boyfriend, Adeeko Owolabi.

The said boyfriend was traced and also apprehended immediately.

On interrogation, Adeeko Owolabi, confessed to the police that the deceased was his girlfriend and that he lured her to Ikoyi-Ile where he perfected plans with the so-called pastor Segun Philip to use her for money rituals.

He stated further that while the girl was sleeping, the pastor gave him a pestle with which he used to smash her head.

According to him, the pastor quickly used a knife to cut off her neck, he ripped open her chest and removed her heart which he used in preparing a concoction for him and his mother to eat.

When asked what pushed him to such devilish act, Owolabi explained that things were not going well with his parents financially and when he sought assistance from the pastor, he was asked to bring a human being for that purpose and the available person at that time was his girlfriend.

Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police, CP Kenneth Ebrimson, has ordered the immediate transfer of the suspects to the Homicide Section of the State criminal investigation and intelligence department for proper investigation.

The CP who described the gruesome murder of the deceased as a superlative degree of wickedness vowed to ensure that all the suspects face the full wrath of the law.

APC Is One Big Family, Oshiomhole Welcomes Akinlade, Others

 

The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole has welcomed former governorship candidate of the Allied Peoples Movement (APM) in Ogun State, Adekunle Akinlade back to the party.

Mr Akinlade who defected to the APM from APC at the peak of the 2019 General Elections, announced his return to the ruling party on Monday.

A few days ago, the Supreme Court dismissed Akinlade’s case, which he filed against Dapo Abiodun of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the governor of Ogun State after losing the election.

RELATED: Ogun APM Guber Candidate, Akinlade Returns To APC

Mr Oshiomhole said that the APC is one big family and their return shows that the effort of the National Reconciliation Committee (NRC) set up recently by the party is yielding fruits.

“The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade Adams Oshiomhole wishes to welcome back our brothers who left the All Progressives Congress (APC) to the Allied Peoples Movement (APM) in Ogun State, led by Hon. Adekunle Akinlade, at the peak of the 2019 General Elections and now have decided to return to our party, back.

“The APC is one big family that believes in the ideals of true democracy, rule of law and party supremacy.”

He urged other former party members to use the opportunity to return because the party is big enough to accommodate all, even those with divergent opinions.

Last week in Edo state, Mr. Osagie Ize-Iyamu and his supporters equally returned to the APC from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

1,700 FRSC Personnel Deployed To Oversee Traffic Activities On Highways During Yuletide

 

A total of 1,700 personnel of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) have been deployed to oversee traffic activities on highways across Ogun and Lagos States.

Specifically, the personnel would be overseeing the Lagos – Ibadan; Sagamu – Ijebu Ode; Sagamu – Mosinmi – Ikorodu; Abeokuta – Sagamu; Abeokuta – Ibadan; Abeokuta – Ifo, Sango – Ota and Idiroko corridors.

This was disclosed in a statement signed by the Route Commander Florence Okpe Public Education Officer, Federal Road Safety Corps, Ogun State Sector Command.

According to the statement, this deployment is part of the Ember Months Special Patrol Operations which will commence from Thursday, December 19, 2019, till Monday, January 20, 2020.

The Special Patrol Operations would focus on, excessive speed; dangerous driving; wrongful overtaking; lane indiscipline; use of phones while driving; seat belt violation; overloading violation; tyre violation (expired/ substandard) as well as speed limiting device violation; unlacthed vehicles violation; child restraint violation; passengers manifest violation by commercial vehicles and use of drugs & intoxicating alcoholic beverages while driving.

Meanwhile, the FRSC Ogun State Command has also embarked on aggressive motor parks public enlightenment campaigns across the state.

It has also concluded arrangements with the NDLEA to conduct joint drug tests on drivers suspected to have consumed illicit drugs as well as those that have consumed intoxicant alcoholic beverages beyond the legally tolerable level.

In addition, eye examinations would be conducted in partnership with the National Optometric Association (NOA), to ensure only drivers with good eye sights are allowed to drive passengers during the Yuletide.