Panic In Jos As Hoodlums Disrupt Commercial Activities

 

There was panic and apprehension in Jos, the Plateau State capital on Tuesday as hoodlums disrupted commercial activities at Ahmadu Bello way leading to an abrupt end of businesses in the city.

Some shops were vandalised while cars were set ablaze by the miscreants who prompted the personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) to maintain law and order at the commercial centre before the arrival of the police.

NSCDC personnel told Channels Television that four people were injured and have been taken to the hospital for treatment.

The incident at the city centre is not related to the #EndSARS protests going on in some parts of the city, but protesters restricted their activities at the Old Airport Roundabout and the Polo roundabout axis where they have been gathering for almost five days.

Village Head, Five Others Killed In Fresh Attack On Plateau Community

Chief Imam’s Son, Two Others Kidnapped In Ogun Community
File photo of a gunman wearing bullets

 

Gunmen suspected to be herders on Monday night attacked Wereng community in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau State, killing six people including a crowned Prince of the village.

The lawmaker representing Riyom State constituency, Timothy Dangtong told journalists about the attack.

He said the assailants, armed with guns and other deadly weapons invaded the community around 9:00 p.m shooting sporadically, thereby causing panic among the villagers.

READ ALSO: Governor Zulum Reveals Plan To Resettle More IDPs Despite Insurgent Attacks

Dangtong confirmed that six corpses were taken to the mortuary after the attack.

The acting village Head, Chungyang Mwadkon, was due for coronation until he was shot and killed while trying to escape from the attackers.

Also, three members of a family were killed in their compound while Mr. Mwadkon and three others were killed along the road.

The injured are currently receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital while corpses of those killed have been deposited at the Jos University Teaching Hospital mortuary

Security Operatives Rearrest Another Escaped Prisoner In Plateau

A photo released by the military on August 19, 2020, shows Adam Yusuf who was arrested by soldiers in Plateau State.

 

Security operatives deployed in Plateau State have rearrested a young man, Adam Yusuf, who escaped from the Jos Correctional Centre in the state capital.

The success was recorded by troops of Operation Safe Haven attached to Bisichi Area Command of Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of the state.

Commander of the Joint Task Force (JTF), Major General Chukwuemeka Okonkwo, confirmed the arrested of the 19-year-old inmate on Wednesday.

He explained that Yusuf was one of the six notorious inmates that escaped at High Court in Barkin Ladi on July 23, 2020.

Okonkwo stated that the inmate was later arrested at an abandoned building in Bisichi village where he had been hiding since he escaped from the court premises.

He added that the inmate confessed to being among the escapees, noting that concerted efforts were being made to rearrest the remaining escapees.

A photo released by the military on August 19, 2020, shows Adam Yusuf who was arrested by soldiers in Plateau State.

 

The JTF commander, therefore, solicited appealed to the people not to hesitate to provide useful information that would lead to the re-arrest of the remaining inmates still at large.

According to him, the rearrested inmate would be handed over to the Plateau State Command of the Nigeria Correctional Service for necessary action.

Yusuf was apprehended following the rearrest of one Mohammed Ibrahim by troops of Operation Safe Haven during a search operation.

Ibrahim, who is also among the inmates that fled the court premises, has since been handed over to authorities of the Nigeria Correctional Service in Plateau State.

This brings the total number of escapees rearrested to two, while the search for others is ongoing.

PHOTOS: NDLEA Destroys 167,436KG Of Drugs In Plateau

Illicit drugs seized by the NDLEA in Plateau

 

The National Drug and Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed a total of 167,436 kilograms of drugs between January and August 2020.

Chairman and chief executive of the Agency, Colonel Muhammad Mustapha Abdallah(rtd) stated this at the public destruction of exhibits in Jos, the Plateau state capital.

See Photos Below:

 

 

One Out Of Six Escaped Inmates Rearrested In Plateau

 

One out of the six inmates who escaped after an attack by gunmen on the premises of the High Court in Plateau State has been rearrested.

Troops of Operation Safe Haven deployed at Rarin-Shou village on Friday rearrested the inmate who is from the Jos Correctional Centre.

The Commander of Operation Safe Haven, Major General Chujwuemeka Okonkwo told Channels Television that the manhunt launched by troops of the task force to search for the escapees turned out positive with the arrest Ibrahim Mohammed while the search for others is still ongoing.

The rearrested suspect has been handed over to the Nigerian Correctional Service Plateau State Centre.

The rearrested inmate

Gunmen Attack High Court Premises

This comes after gunmen on Thursday attacked the premises of the High Court in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau State, thereby forcefully setting free six inmates from the Nigerian Correctional Centre.

The inmates were said to have been brought from the Jos Correctional Centre for trial in Barkin Ladi when the incident occurred.

The gunmen, however, aided the escape of six out of 10 inmates with their offences ranging from murder to kidnapping and rape.

Public Relations Officer of Plateau State Police Command, (ASP) Gabriel Uba confirmed the attack and escape of the inmates.

He noted that the Police Commissioner has visited the scene of the incident, adding that some arrests have been made and investigations into the attack are ongoing.

Gunmen Attack High Court Premises In Plateau, Set Free Six Inmates

 

Gunmen on Thursday attacked the premises of the High Court in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau State, thereby forcefully setting free six inmates from the Nigerian Correctional Centre.

The inmates were said to have been brought from the Jos Correctional Centre for trial in Barkin Ladi when the incident occurred.

The gunmen, however, aided the escape of six out of 10 inmates with their offences ranging from murder to kidnapping and rape.

Public Relations Officer of Plateau State Police Command, (ASP) Gabriel Uba confirmed the attack and escape of the inmates.

He noted that the Police Commissioner has visited the scene of the incident, adding that some arrests have been made and investigations into the attack are ongoing.

Gunmen Attack Plateau Hospital

The attack comes a few days after gunmen attacked the General Hospital in the same Local Government Area.

Channels Television gathered that a private security guard on duty was shot dead during the attack, while three others were injured, including a staff of the hospital and a police officer.

The President of Gashshi District Development Association, Francis Chong said it was strange and unimaginable that a health facility that accommodates all tribes and religions would just be attacked.

“This is a novel attack which is not comprehensible at all; it is not yet clear why the attackers could attack a hospital where people of all shades of life converge for treatment,” he said.

Chong, however, noted that the two staff of the hospital are receiving treatment from the hospital in Barkin Ladi.

Gunmen Attack Plateau Hospital, Kill Security Guard, Injure Three

 

Chief Imam’s Son, Two Others Kidnapped In Ogun Community
File photo

 

Tragedy struck in Plateau State on Monday when gunmen attacked the General Hospital in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area.

Channels Television gathered that a private security guard on duty was shot dead during the attack, while three others were injured, including a staff of the hospital and a police officer.

Speaking to Channels Television, the President of Gashshi District Development Association, Francis Chong said it was strange and unimaginable that a health facility that accommodates all tribes and religions would be attacked without just cause.

“This is a novel attack which is not comprehensible at all; it is not yet clear what the motives of the attackers could attack a hospital where people of all shades of life converge for treatment,” he said.

Chong, however, noted that the two staff of the hospital are receiving treatment from the hospital in Barkin Ladi.

Meanwhile, the State Police Command is yet to comment on the incident involving the police officer.

Chief Of Staff To Plateau Governor Tests Negative For COVID-19

Moderna's COVID-19 Vaccine Set For Final Trial Stage After 'Promising' Results
In this file photo taken on May 18, 2020, a syringe is pictured on an illustration representation of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus in Paris. JOEL SAGET / AFP

 

The Chief of Staff to Governor Simon Lalong of Plateau State, Noel Donjur has tested negative for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

This was confirmed in a statement issued on Friday by the Commissioner for Information and Communication, Dan Manjang.

Manjang recalled that since Donjour contracted the dreaded disease on July 3, he went into isolation in line with protocols outlined by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

The commissioner however noted that the news of the Chief of Staff’s recovery came in the early hours of today.

He noted that Donjur remained asymptomatic throughout the period of his treatment.

Following the development, the state government has wished the Chief of Staff sustainable good health, while thanking God for his recovery.

While warning residents of the state from stigmatizing persons infected by the virus, the government asked workers to make themselves available for COVID-19 tests.

Again, Lalong And Family Test Negative To COVID-19

A file photo of Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong.

 

 

Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong, members of his family, his closed aides have all tested negative to coronavirus (COVID-19) for the second time.

The governor’s Director of Press and Public Affairs, Makut Macham, disclosed this in a statement on Sunday.

He explained that Governor Lalong and his household took another test as a result of the recent cases recorded within his cabinet, such as a commissioner and his Chief of Staff testing positive for the disease.

Macham noted that the governor and members of his family subjected themselves to another test on Saturday, having taken the test earlier in April which all turned out negative.

In his reaction, Governor Lalong said, “I have continued to encourage people to subject themselves to COVID-19 test which is very important for us to determine the magnitude of the disease and level of the spread, in order to curb the further spread and treat people before they get to critical stages.

“Submitting myself and family to another test was, therefore, necessary as part of leadership by example and also responding to the recent cases of one of my commissioners and Chief of Staff who were confirmed positive.”

The governor, who reiterated that COVID-19 was not a death sentence, advised the people to always take personal responsibility for their health and the health of others.

According to him, this can be achieved by adhering to the guidelines put in place to fight the disease such as the mandatory use of face masks, social distancing, hand washing, and use of sanitisers.

Governor Lalong revealed that so far, the testing capacity in Plateau has increased as more people were being tested daily at the NVRI Laboratory in Vom and the TB Reference Laboratory at the Jos University Teaching Hospital.

He added that efforts were being made to have the testing also conducted at the Plateau State Specialist Hospital, stressing that about 6,000 people have been tested in the state as of July 5.

The governor, therefore, directed continued enforcement of compliance to COVID-19 guidelines, particularly in public places, warning that violators would be sanctioned accordingly.

He also warned against stigmatising infected persons, insisting that unless the disease was demystified, it would be difficult to overcome.

Plateau Commissioner Tests Positive For COVID-19

A file photo of Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong.

 

The Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Abe Aku has tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

This was disclosed on Wednesday in a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information and Communications, Dan Manjang.

Following this development, Governor Simon Lalong directed all members of the State Executive Council to undergo COVID-19 tests and thereafter isolate themselves.

Aku explained that based on the governor’s directive, specimens of the commissioners are to be taken and forwarded to the COVID-19 Laboratory at the National Veterinary Research Institute (NVRI), Vom for testing.

Meanwhile, the state government has asked members of the public to be guided by unnecessary visits to members of the State Executive Council while they are in isolation.

This is to prevent the possible spread of the disease and to show leadership by example after Governor Lalong and his family have carried out the test earlier where all of them tested negative.

 

Troops Kill Three Bandits, Rescue Missing Herder In Plateau

New Salary Scale Has Not Been Approved For Armed Forces – DHQ
A file photo of troops.

 

 

Troops attached to Operation Safe Haven have killed three bandits during an operation conducted at Qua’an Pan Local Government Area (LGA) of Plateau State.

The Coordinator of Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday.

He explained that the soldiers recorded the feat in continuation of the intensive clearance operations under Operation Accord, aimed at curbing the activities of bandits and other criminals in the North West and North Central regions.

Enenche stated that the raid was conducted on Friday following actionable technical and human intelligence on the activities of a suspected notorious kidnap kingpin at a hotel in Kwa.

According to him, the suspects fell to the superior firepower of the troops during a gunfight while others escaped with gunshot wounds.

A Beretta pistol, single-barrel gun, two fabricated pistols, four rounds of 9mm ammunition, three rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition, and a motorcycle among other items were recovered from the suspects.

In a related development, the military spokesman noted that some soldiers rescued a herder on Friday with the help of local vigilantes, after he went missing while grazing at Gidan Ado in Riyom LGA.

The victim who was identified as Salisu Abdullahi was said to have been evacuated to a hospital for prompt medical attention.

“Furthermore, on the same 19 June 2020, troops arrested a suspected kidnapper, one Alhaji Idris around Hawan-Kibo general area in Riyom LGA while four other suspected kidnappers were apprehended in connection with the kidnap of one Mr Abdullahi Abdullahi at Kwahas-Lahir area in Mangu LGA of Plateau state.

“All the suspects have been handed over to relevant civil authorities for further investigation and prosecution,” the statement said.

COVID-19: Plateau Bans Movement Within State

A file photo of Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong.

 

The Plateau State Government has banned all movements within the state in order to curb the community spread of COVID-19.

In his address on Thursday, Governor Simon Lalong said the move is part of his administration’s efforts in tackling the virus following the only confirmed case in the state.

The governor noted that ban on movement from local government to local government in the state as well as the ban on all entry and exit points to the state is in continuation of total lockdown imposed on residents.

READ ALSO: Ramadan: Taraba Govt Distributes Food Items To Muslim Communities

“In addition to the total lockdown which closed movement in and out of the State, and in order to curb community spread of COVID-19, Government has decided to close all intra-State borders with effect from 4th May 2020.

“Consequently, there shall be no movement from one Local Government to another even during the period when the total lockdown is relaxed, except for those on essential services as earlier enumerated.

“The total lockdown which resumed midnight Sunday, April 26th 2020, shall be relaxed from Midnight of Thursday 30th April 2020 to Midnight of Sunday 3rd May 2020 to enable people again re-stock their homes. Thereafter, the total lockdown will resume on Monday 4th May 2020,” he said.

Governor Lalong noted that the three-day window permitted by the state government will enable citizens to restock their homes ahead of the continuation of the lockdown Sunday midnight.