Four of 223 schoolgirls missing following an attack and abduction by Boko Haram at Government Secondary School in Chibok have reunited with their parents, Borno’s commissioner for Education, Musa Inuwa Kubo informed the Presidential Fact finding committee on Chibok attack, when he made a presentation last week in Maiduguri.
Kubo, who appeared before the committee on Friday at the committee’s sitting in Maiduguri, said the four girls were discovered after Governor Kashim Shettima directed the Ministry of Education to open data pages for families of all the girls which should include names and pictures of the girls, class, age etc as well the pictures of parents.
It was during the data capturing and visits to parents that it was discovered that four girls who were among those declared missing had reunited with their parents but the parents failed to inform the school authority.
The Commissioner told the committee that with the discovery of the four girls, a total of 219 girls were still missing.
He informed the committee that after the April 14, 2014 attack on the school, the State Government had made series of announcements calling on parents whose daughters might have ran home following the attack to bring them back so the Government could take record to ascertain the number of missing girls.
Many parents brought back their kids while others who escaped from captivity were also reunited with the school.