The Police and Army have clashed in Osogbo, the Osun State capital after some soldiers were said to have invaded the police headquarters.
The tension started after the soldiers allegedly invaded the police command headquarters on Monday afternoon following the arrest of one of their colleagues who allegedly stabbed a police officer on Saturday night.
The reason for the alleged stabbing is, however, yet to be clear.
But the soldiers were said to have invaded the police premises with the intention of freeing their colleague from detention.
They were, however, disarmed and arrested by the police, leading to a chaotic situation at the scene.
Consequently, many of the residents began to scamper for safety.
Meanwhile, a source at the police command headquarters told Channels Television that the three arrested soldiers have been released, while the one accused of stabbing a police officer remains in the custody of the police.
Ethnic Rakhine rebels took more than 40 police officers and soldiers hostage in a brazen raid on a ferry on Saturday, Myanmar’s military said, the latest flare-up in the restive western region.
The military has deployed thousands of troops to try to crush Arakan Army insurgents in the state, where the ethnic group is fighting for more autonomy for Rakhine Buddhists.
But the AA has inflicted a heavy toll through violent raids, kidnappings and improvised explosive devices.
On Saturday morning rebels in concealed positions on a river bank shot at a ferry carrying off-duty police and soldiers north from the state capital, forcing it to dock, military spokesperson Zaw Min Tun said.
“More than 10 soldiers from the army, about 30 police and two staff from the prison department” were among the more than 40 passengers forced to disembark before being taken away, he said.
Authorities were using helicopters in their pursuit of the rebels, and had spotted a large contingent crossing a river, he added.
The Arakan Army could not immediately be reached for comment.
The flare-up comes less than two weeks after suspected rebels disguised as a sports team stormed a bus and abducted dozens of firefighters and civilians in Rakhine.
Tens of thousands have been displaced in the state due to the fighting.
Rakhine is the same area where the military drove out more than 740,000 Rohingya Muslims in a 2017 campaign UN investigators have called genocide.
Rights groups have accused soldiers of committing war crimes including extrajudicial killings in its fresh campaign against the Arakan Army.
But monitors have also singled out the rebels for alleged abuses.
Both sides have rebuffed accusations as violence has continued in an area largely sealed off to independent media.
British police investigating the discovery of 39 bodies in a truck on Friday said they had arrested two people on suspicion of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people.
Eight women and 31 men, believed to be Chinese nationals, were found in the refrigerated trailer on Wednesday, in a case that has shocked Britain.
After detaining a 25-year-old truck driver from Northern Ireland at the scene on suspicion of murder, Essex police confirmed two additional arrests on Friday.
A man and a woman, both aged 38 and from Warrington in Cheshire, northwest England, “have been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to traffic people and on suspicion of 39 counts of manslaughter”, the force said.
The first autopsies were to take place Friday as investigators attempt to establish how they died before the work begins on trying to identify the victims.
Ambulances had been called to a parked-up truck in an industrial zone in Grays, east of London, early Wednesday but all the victims inside were already dead.
The refrigerated trailer had arrived at nearby Purfleet on the River Thames estuary on a ferry from the Belgian port of Zeebrugge just over an hour before ambulance crews called the police at 1:40 am.
The truck which collected the trailer had left the port 35 minutes before that call.
The first 11 corpses were recovered from the trailer on Thursday and taken to a nearby hospital mortuary. Autopsies will attempt to establish how the victims died.
“Formal identification will then follow… and will be a lengthy but crucial part of this investigation. As our investigations continue, the picture may change regarding identification,” the police said Friday.
Detectives have also searched three addresses in Northern Ireland.
The police investigation is Britain’s largest murder probe since the 2005 London suicide bombings.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson described Wednesday’s discovery as an “unimaginable tragedy”.
Questions have been raised about when the victims entered the refrigerated trailer, where temperatures can be as low as minus 25 degrees Celsius (minus 13 degrees Fahrenheit).
The crossing to Purfleet from Zeebrugge, one of the world’s busiest ports for cargo on trucks, takes nine to 12 hours.
Belgian investigators were working to establish where the trailer came from before reaching the port.
“We have ways to reconstruct the route of the container but it’s not instantaneous, it can take time,” Eric Van Duyse, spokesman for the Belgian federal prosecutor’s office, told AFP.
‘Magnet for illegals’
People living close to the port at Purfleet said illegal immigrants were a familiar sight.
“It’s a magnet for illegals,” said Janet Lilley, 61.
“People would come strolling out of the docks, get in the vans and that’s it, they drive off.”
Lee Tubby, 45, who lives opposite the port, said he has seen people “climbing out the top and out the back” of trucks and cutting the plastic roof covering to climb through.
“We’ve had people just come out of the port knocking on the door asking for shoes, asking for water,” he said.
Meanwhile, Beijing-based political analyst Hua Po said the flow of Chinese workers to Europe has gone up as “China’s own policy has become more and more conservative and closed” under President Xi Jinping.
“The survival of private enterprises is becoming more and more difficult, resulting in an increase in the number of unemployed people,” Hua told AFP.
Dimitar Dimitrov, executive director of the Bulgarian Chamber of Road Hauliers, told AFP many foreign hauliers registered in Bulgaria for financial reasons, and doubted whether a Bulgarian firm would employ Irish drivers.
Britain’s National Crime Agency said the number of migrants being smuggled into the UK in containers and trucks had risen in the last year.
In May the NCA said there had been “increasing use of higher risk methods of clandestine entry” to Britain by organised immigration crime gangs.
‘Evil’ contempt for life
Jackie Doyle-Price, the MP representing the local Thurrock constituency, called people trafficking a “vile and dangerous business”.
“To put 39 people into a locked metal container shows a contempt for human life that is evil,” she said.
The gruesome discovery drew comparisons to previous cases.
In 2000, the bodies of 58 clandestine Chinese immigrants were discovered in a Dutch truck at the southeastern English port of Dover. Two people survived.
In 2014, some 34 Afghan Sikhs were found inside a shipping container at Tilbury port — next to Grays — suffering from severe dehydration, hypothermia and lack of air. One man was found dead, having passed away during the sea crossing from Belgium.
In August 2015, at the peak of Europe’s migration crisis, the bodies of 71 migrants including a baby girl were found piled up in the back of a poultry refrigerator lorry left in Austria.
Investigations later revealed they had been transported along the Balkan migrant route and left to suffocate in the back of the truck after the driver dumped the vehicle near the Hungarian border.
British police said a truck with 39 bodies found earlier Wednesday in an industrial park east of London had entered the UK at nearby Purfleet from the Belgian port of Zeebrugge.
“After further enquiries, we now believe that the trailer travelled from Zeebrugge into Purfleet, and docked in the Thurrock area shortly after 12:30am this morning (2330 GMT Tuesday),” Essex Police said, having earlier said they thought it had entered Britain at Holyhead in Wales.
The Commission also approved the promotion of 14 Cps to the next rank of Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG).
They are Yunana Babas, Dan-Malam Mohammed, Mua’zu Zubairu, Rabiu Yusuf, Sanusi Lemu, Ahmed Iliyasu, Mohammed Kura, Zaki Ahmed, and Gwandu Abubakar.
Others are Zama Bala (CP in Jigawa), Bello Sadiq, Austin Agbonlahor, Lawan Ado (former CP in Kwara and currently Commandant Police College, Kaduna), and Bashir Makama.
Mr Ani explained that the appointments and promotions were the highpoints of the PSC’s 6th Plenary Meeting which held in Abuja on Friday and chaired by Mr Musiliu Smith.
He revealed that the commission also approved the promotion of 230 Superintendents of Police (SP) to Chief Superintendents (CSP), 11 Deputy Superintendents of Police (DSP) to SP, and 211 Assistant Superintendents (ASP) to DSP.
Forty one Inspectors were also promoted to ASP1.
The new CSPs include Kabiru Ishaq, Sufi Abdullahi, Dattijo Abdullahi, Bisiriyu Akindele, Faloye Folusho, Ngozi Nwosu, and Shehudden Baba.
Other are Ibrahim Bashir, Benjamin Ugwuegbulam, Remigius Ekpe, Tope Oparinde, Esther Nwaiwu, Victoria Mulero, and Ogbonnaya Nwota.
The PSC Chairman said the Commission would continue to closely monitor the performance of the officers and asked them to rededicate themselves to the service of their fatherland.
He reiterated that promotion in the Force would continue to be based on merit, seniority and availability of vacancies.
Mr Musa Rabo, an Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) who was abducted over the weekend has been rescued unhurt.
The officer was successfully rescued on Sunday evening by a combined team of Police operatives from Kaduna, Niger and Zone 7 Command Headquarters Abuja, backed-up by members of the elite Special Forces of the NPF.
Two male suspects have also been arrested in connection with the incident.
The officer is said to have been travelling in his civil dress, with his private vehicle and without escort or any special security at the time of the incident.
According to a police statement via twitter, Mr Rabo was not targeted as a cop.
“It was purely an opportunistic crime, indiscriminately and maliciously targeted at citizens using that particular road. He was, perhaps, positionally unlucky at the time of the incident!,” the tweet read.
Police say investigation into the incident is ongoing.
At least four people were killed and nearly 50 injured on Sunday after police fired on thousands of Bangladeshi Muslims protesting a Facebook post by a Hindu who allegedly defamed the Prophet Mohammed, officials said.
Mob attacks over Facebook posts perceived to be blasphemous have emerged as a major headache for security forces in Bangladesh, where Muslims make up some 90 percent of the country’s 168 million people.
Some 20,000 Muslims demonstrated at a prayer ground in Borhanuddin town on the country’s largest island of Bhola to call for the execution of the young Hindu man, who was arrested Saturday over charges of inciting religious tension.
Police said they opened fire in self-defence after some of the crowd threw rocks at their officers.
“At least four people were killed and up to 50 people were injured,” police inspector Salahuddin Mia told AFP.
He said extra police and border guards were being deployed in the town.
The death toll is expected to rise, with Bhola Sadar Hospital duty doctor Tayebur Rahman telling AFP at least seven of the 43 people taken to hospital were fighting for their lives.
“We have sent the critically injured people to the regional hospital in Barisal (city). Their conditions are not stable,” he said.
In 2016, angry Muslims attacked Hindu temples in an eastern town over a Facebook post was put up allegedly mocking one of Islam’s holiest sites.
In 2012, Muslim mobs torched Buddhist monasteries, houses and shops in the coastal Cox’s Bazar district following a Buddhist youth’s alleged defamatory photo post of the Koran.
Bangladesh has also experienced a number of attacks on people from religious minorities, secular bloggers, publishers, writers and foreigners, many claimed by Islamist militants.
The trial of former director in the Police Pension Office, Mr Esai Dangabar, suffered a setback on Thursday following his death.
This came as the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) filed a motion before Justice Hussein Baba Yusuf of the Federal High Court sitting in Maitama, Abuja.
In the suit, the anti-graft agency sought to amend the charges in the criminal breach of trust and fraud to the tune of N14 billion in the police pension scheme, following the death of Dangabar who was the principal defendant and was facing charges alongside others.
At the resumed, proceedings were stalled when the lead defence counsel, Adegboyega Awomolo, announced to the court the death of Dangabar whom he said died on July 24, 2019.
In buttressing his point, Awomolo submitted the Garki Hospital death certificate of the defendant to the court and appreciated the concern and the accommodating spirit of the presiding judge, since the commencement of the trial.
“I respectfully appreciate his lordship for always giving the first defendant permission to travel for his treatment before his death. I pray for long life for his lordship,” he stated.
In his reaction, the prosecution counsel A. Atolagbe described Dangabar’s death as unfortunate and extended his condolences to his family.
He, therefore, prayed the court for more time to amend the charges since the deceased was no longer alive.
Atolagbe said, “My lord, I have seen the death certificate of the first defendant. It’s quite unfortunate.
“We will be asking for sometimes to regularise the charges since the deceased is no longer involved.”
Justice Hussein who also extended his sympathy to the family of the deceased and adjourned the case until December 5, for necessary amendments to the charges.
The Lagos State Government says it is set to arraign four police officers over their alleged involvement in extrajudicial killings.
The officers were said to have been involved in the killing of two persons identified as Segun Sholaja and Ogheneovo Ebobo.
According to a statement issued on Wednesday by the Director, Public Affairs in the Ministry of Justice, Mr Kayode Oyekanmi, while an investigation had commenced into the case, fresh evidence came to light indicting the concerned Police Officers.
“In the course of investigation initiated by the Office of the Attorney General/ Commissioner for Justice fresh evidence came to light indicting the concerned Police Officers,” the statement read.
“This has necessitated a review of the earlier legal opinion issued, and the Attorney General/ Commissioner for Justice has directed that the suspects be charged for the killing of the deceased persons.
“The Attorney General/ Commissioner for Justice assures the general public of the resolve of his office to uphold the Rule of Law in the State”.