The Ogun State Police Command has arrested an 18-year-old boy, Jamiu Malomo for the murder of a 28-year-old lady Azeezat Akande.
In a press statement by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said the suspect was lodged at Adatan divisional headquarters by the chairman, Ilupeju community, Oke Aregba Abeokuta.
He said they woke up in the morning of Sunday 18th of July 2021 to discover a lifeless body of a young lady, who was stabbed to death on a rock in the area, with a knife soaked with blood beside her”.
Upon the report, the Divisional police officer, Adatan division, SP Abiodun Salau, and his detectives moved to the scene from where the corpse was moved to state hospital Ijaye mortuary.”
The DPO and his detectives were said to have embarked on intelligence and forensic investigations to unravel the mystery behind the gruesome murder of the deceased.
“Their efforts paid off when they received information that the person who was seen last with the deceased has been sighted at about 11:45 pm of Thursday 22nd of July 2021, at a bar located in Abeokuta, where he was trying to pick another runs girl.
“The detectives quickly moved in there and got him arrested.
He noted that upon interrogation, the suspect who was just released from prison custody last month, confessed to killing the deceased. According to him, he picked the deceased from panseke and took her home for sexual pleasure.”
“After having carnal knowledge of the victim, the victim demanded #10,000 which was their agreement, but he refused to give her because he had only eight thousand naira with him. This led to a hot argument between them, he then gave his phone to the deceased to hold and wait for him on the road to go and bring the money for her.
“While the deceased was waiting, the suspect came back with a knife unknown to the victim and he stabbed her deeply on her neck resulting in the instant death of the deceased”
The PRO disclosed that the commissioner of police, CP Awolowo Ajogun has ordered the immediate transfer of the suspect to the homicide section of the state criminal investigation and intelligence department for discreet investigation.
The CP also warned criminals to stop testing the resolve of the command to bring any criminal to book no matter where they are because the command is ready to ensure that no criminal goes unpunished.
Police authorities have condemned the claim that a Divisional Police Officer (DPO) was arrested by security operatives for his alleged involvement in kidnapping and other criminal activities along the Benin-Ehor Road in Edo State.
In a statement on Sunday, the Police Public Relations Officer in Edo, Kontongs Bello, described the claim as mischievous, malicious, and misleading.
He noted a trending report captioned “DPO EHOR DIVISIONAL POLICE ARRESTED BY THE SPECIAL ANTI-KIDNAP TEAM FROM THE OFFICE OF THE IGP OF POLICE, ABUJA IN CONNECTION WITH KIDNAPPING AND OTHER CRIMINAL ACTIVITIES ALONG BENIN-EHOR ROAD”.
Bello stated that there was no such unit called the Special Anti-Kidnap Team in the office of the Inspector General of Police (IGP) in Abuja.
“The report which is already going viral on various social media handles and platforms is totally the work of mischief-makers aimed at tarnishing the image of the force and to incite the general public against the police, particularly Edo State Police Command.
“The Commissioner of Police, Edo State Police Command, CP Philip Aliyu Ogbadu Psc (+), therefore, calls on the good people of Edo State and its residents to disregard the report and go about their lawful business,” the statement said.
According to the command’s spokesman, it is obvious that criminal elements have already noticed that Ehor is no more profitable for them and have decided to come out with the fake report to divert the attention of the police and the people assisting them with information about criminal activities.
He explained that the DPO in charge of Ehor Division, CSP Benjamin Benafa, reported at the division on July 2 and took over duties and responsibilities of the division the next day.
Rather than getting involved in criminal activities as alleged, Bello disclosed that Benafa was instrumental in the rescue of nine passengers kidnapped in the state.
The victims, he noted, were travelling from Auchi to Benin in an 18-seater bus owned by a private company on July 4.
“The officer is presently at his duty post in Ehor, not arrested as been mischievously circulated,” the command’s spokesman stated.
He added that the police commissioner has ordered a full-scale investigation into the matter with the aim of bringing those behind the fake report to book.
Police operatives in Kaduna State have repelled an attack by bandits on the Maraban Jos Divisional Police Headquarters in Igabi Local Government Area of the state.
The incident occurred on Friday night when the bandits stormed the Divisional police headquarters in three Sharon utility vehicles and started shooting sporadically in order to gain access into the Divisional armoury.
They were, however, repelled by operatives on duty who engaged them in a fierce gun battle.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mohammed Jalige, confirmed the attack via a statement issued to Channels Television on Saturday.
He said the superior firepower of the police personnel during the gun duel with the bandits which lasted for some minutes, forced the bandits to retreat, with some of them escaping with fatal bullet wounds.
A police Inspector and two Special Constabulary personnel who sustained varying degrees of injuries during the attack are currently receiving medical treatment
However, Jalige explained that the operatives were able to secure the armoury, the entire station and other adjoining facilities at the Division, adding that investigation into the incident has since commenced using the available evidence recovered from the scene.
Meanwhile, the State Police Command, therefore, has directed all officers to ensure that proactive measures are emplaced to protect all police facilities in the state and forestall the repeat of the ugly incident.
The police in Edo State on Friday rescued an 11-year-old boy from kidnappers, authorities confirmed to Channels Television.
This followed a report received by the Ososo Divisional Headquarters that the victim was abducted at Ososo in Akoko Edo Local Government Area of the state on July 19.
Upon receiving the information, the Commissioner of Police, Philip Aliyu Ogbadu, immediately drafted operatives from the Anti-Kidnapping and Cyber-crime unit of the command.
The operation, led by its Commander, SP Patrick Balogun involved pain-staking/high-tech tracking and intelligence-led techniques that uncovered the hoodlums’ hideout in the Uneme Erunu/Okpella area of Akoko Edo.
“Upon sighting the Operatives, the abductors engaged them in a gun duel but they were overwhelmed by the superior firepower from the police which caused them to abandon the victim unhurt,” the police spokesman, Kontongs Bello, said via a statement.
“An operational motorcycle without registration number and a Techno Android Phone was recovered after the abductors fled into the bush with various degrees of gun injuries.”
The police spokesman said efforts were ongoing to arrest the fleeing hoodlums with an investigation on course to unravel the true identity of the kidnappers.
Reacting to the success recorded, the police boss warned that Edo State can never be a safe haven for criminals and their activities.
While advising criminals to relocate from the state or face the full wrath of the law, he reiterated the Command’s commitment to its core mandate of protecting lives and property.
CP Ogbadu also asked all law-abiding citizens to go about their lawful business, noting that the public should use the police control room numbers on 08037646272, 08123827225, 08056776365, and 08077773721 to report in times of distress.
An additional 25,000 policemen will be deployed to beef up security in the local government elections scheduled to hold on Saturday in Lagos State.
The Chairperson, Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission (LASIEC), Justice Ayo Philips, disclosed this on Channels TV’s Politics Today on Friday.
Philips explained that the Commissioner of Police for Lagos State gave her the assurance earlier in the day.
“We have worked hand-in-hand for over a month now with the security agencies, the police and the civil defence, who are really the front liners, the Army, the Navy, the Air Force and the neighbourhood watch and the Department of State Services (DSS).
“We are very aware of the security situation and just this evening I got a message from the Commissioner of Police for Lagos State, that he is deploying an additional 25,000 policemen into Lagos tomorrow to help oversee the elections and to ensure that peace is kept and it will be violence-free,” she said.
“So we believe that tomorrow there will be peaceful elections and there will be no violence and all the members of the electorates will go about their business and will be able to vote in a peaceful and secure environment.”
The election is expected to take place in the 57 Local Government Councils and Local Council Development Areas of the state.
In the run-up to the elections, the Alliance of Social Democrats and 10 other political parties had filed a suit against LASIEC and the state government seeking to stop it.
But a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos on Friday rejected the appeal.
The parties had claimed that the Court of Appeal had reversed INEC’s decision to deregister them but despite this, LASIEC did not list their parties on the ballot.
They, therefore, invited the court to stop Saturday’s LG elections.
The Attorney General & Commissioner of Justice in Lagos, Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Moyosore Onigbanjo, however, countered this submission.
Onigbanjo told the judge that the Federal High Court lacked the jurisdiction to entertain their claims.
In a ruling delivered Friday, Justice Akintoye Aluko upheld the submissions of the Attorney General on behalf of the Lagos State Government and declined jurisdiction to hear and determine the suit.
The court also transferred the suit to the State High Court pursuant to Section 22 (2) Federal High Court Act.
In a related development, the court also upheld the same decision in another matter filed by the Youth Party against LASIEC.
It not only declined jurisdiction on the matter but also vacated the Interim Order of Injunction earlier granted in the matter on July 12.
The Imo State Police Command has arrested a 51 year-old-man, Friday Ndimma for his alleged involvement in the sales of Indian hemp also known as marijuana.
Ndimma hails from the Orsu Ihitte-Ukwa community in the Orsu Local Government Area of the state.
According to the Imo state Commissioner of Police Abutu Yaro, preliminary investigations revealed that the suspect is a major supplier of marijuana to all IPOB and ESN camps across Orsu local government areas and its environs.
He added that the suspect who has confessed to the crime was arrested in his home in the Orsu Ihitte-Ukwa community following intelligence information.
In view of the forthcoming Eid-El-Kabir Sallah celebrations slated from 20th and the 21st July 2021, the Zamfara State Police Command has deployed 2200 operatives to ensure guarantee safety and security of lives and properties in the state.
The State Police Commissioner, CP Hussaini Rabiu made the arrangement that is aimed at catering to the security needs of the 14 Local Government Areas in Zamfara, stated a communique on Monday.
“The strategy is aimed at securing vulnerable places such as Eid Praying grounds, recreational centres, major highways, government and private infrastructures against any security threats.
“This critical assignment will be executed in Collaboration with other Security Agencies and other critical stakeholders, all in a bid to ensure that, the celebration is peaceful and hitch-free,” the statement partly reads.
Personnel who are involved in this special assignment are under the strict instruction of the Commissioner of Police to be civil but firm in the discharge of their duties.
However, the Command warned parents and guardians to control their children against involvement in any act capable of undermining the peace of the state. Any person or group arrested in violation of law and order will be made to face the full wrath of the law.
The Commissioner Police facilitated with Muslim faithful and other citizens in the state as they celebrate Eid-el Kabir and enjoins them to co-operate with the police and other security agencies in an effort to ensure peaceful celebrations.
Residents in Zamfara are expected to report suspicious persons and objects to the nearest police station or call the following phone numbers, 08034537596, 08035318484, 08033422152, 08039655054, 09064296391.
Thirteen police officers have been killed after bandits ambushed mobile operatives who were responding to distress calls in communities within and around Kurar Mota village in Bungudu LGA of Zamfara State.
Confirming the attack which took place on Sunday, spokesperson of the State Police Command, SP Mohammed Shehu, said “the personnel who ran into the ambush exhibited resilience and gallantry by engaging the gunmen, an effort that deterred the bandits from attacking more communities.
“Unfortunately, 13 personnel paid the supreme price”.
SP Shehu, however, noted that the bandits on their part also suffered heavy casualties, adding that a manhunt against the armed bandits that took the officers by surprise at Kurar Mota village has been launched.
Police Commissioner, CP Hussaini Rabiu, while visiting some officers who were injured in the attack, assured the people of Zamfara that the Force will not discourage the officers and men of the command from discharging their mandate of protecting lives and properties of the citizens.
He said the command is determined to sustain its ongoing operations against the activities of recalcitrant bandits and other criminal elements in the state and urged all law-abiding citizens to join hands with the security agencies to successfully end the menace.
The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba has assured the nation of sustained efforts by the Force in fighting crimes and criminality and improving public safety and security across the country.
His assurance on Sunday was contained in a communique titled, ‘Eid-el-Kabir: IGP assures sustained efforts at improving public safety and security, by the Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba.
In his statement, the IGP charged Commissioners of Police (CPs) in all the States of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), and their supervisory Assistant Inspectors General of Police (AIGs), to beef-up security ahead of the Eid-el-Kabir celebration, to prevent any untoward situation in their Areas of Responsibility (AoR) throughout the Eid-el-Kabir season and beyond.
He particularly directed the Zonal AIGs and State Command CPs to put in place all necessary security measures to ensure a secure, peaceful, and incident-free celebration.
“They are to, amongst other things, deploy human and other operational assets to carry out confidence-building and crime prevention patrols on major highways, residential and industrial areas, vulnerable points, places of worship, other places of public resort, and around all critical national infrastructure,” the communique partly reads.
The IGP equally warned that personnel deployed must be professional and mindful of the fundamental rights of the citizens, and discharge their responsibilities with all sense of decorum and alertness.
While congratulating the Muslim Faithfuls in the country on the occasion of the year 2021 Eid-el-Kabir celebration, the Police Boss reiterated that the Force would continue to improve on the recent gains achieved in stabilizing security order in parts of the country, protecting the lives and property of citizens, and denying space for crimes and criminality to thrive in and around the country.
He wished all Muslims a happy and peaceful Sallah celebration and enjoined citizens to celebrate and enjoy the beauty of the Eid-el-Kabir while remaining security conscious and compliant with the COVID-19 prevention protocols.
President Muhammadu Buhari is not responsible for promotion in the Nigeria Police Force, the presidency said on Thursday.
Presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu, stated this shortly after the Police Service Commission (PSC) promoted 24 Commissioners of Police to the rank of the Assistant Inspectors General of Police (AIG). Among others.
However, the former acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu was declined promotion.
Reacting to the development, President Buhari’s media aide said promotion in the nation’s police structure is determined by the PSC, noting that his principal had no hand in the exercise.
“President Buhari, or any Nigerian President for that matter, is not responsible for promotions in the Police. That is the business of the Police Service Commission, PSC,” Shehu stated.
“In the case of the gentleman in question, who is currently under investigation, common sense dictates that his eligibility will be determined by that outcome. The PSC could have given you the correct position on this if there was an effort to reach them.”
Shehu’s reaction followed some rumours suggesting that President Buhari was pushing for the Magu’s promotion who has been under probe over allegations of misuse of his office.
Some reports had emerged that Magu had been penciled down for promotion from present CP rank to AIG by the PSC despite the alleged adverse recommendations of the Justice Ayo Salami panel that investigated the allegations.
But the PSC in a statement by its Head, Press and Public Relations, Ikechukwu Ani, “declined the promotion of CP Magu pending clearance from the office of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice and the Office of the Inspector General of Police.”
The ex-EFCC boss served as acting chairman of the anti-graft agency from 2015 to 2020, and was rejected twice by the Senate.
Magu was later suspended along with several others for allegedly mismanaging funds of the commission, an allegation he repeatedly denied.
He was probed for over three months by a judicial panel of inquiry led by a former President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Ayo Salami.
South Africa’s ex-president Jacob Zuma handed himself in to police late Wednesday to begin serving a 15-month sentence for contempt of court, his foundation said.
“Please be advised that President Zuma has decided to comply with the incarceration order. He is on his way to hand himself into a Correctional Services Facility in KZN” (Kwazulu-Natal province), the foundation tweeted.
In a historic ruling, the Constitutional Court last week handed Zuma a 15-month term for snubbing anti-graft investigators.
Police had earlier on Wednesday warned they were prepared to arrest the former president by a midnight deadline to enforce the ruling, unless the top court instructed otherwise.
A convoy of cars believed to be carrying Zuma drove out of his homestead about 40 minutes before the cut-off for him to give himself up.
Zuma had mounted a last-ditch legal defence and refused to turn himself in by Sunday night as the court ordered. Under the ruling, police were given three days to arrest him if he failed to surrender.
In a letter earlier on Wednesday he had pleaded with the court for an 11th-hour reprieve.